Defender OEM Aux tank info - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Defender OEM Aux tank info

So I see this aux tank (it appears to be about 10 gal) on ebay UK quite a bit, and talked about in some other Rover forums. Understand it installs under the passenger side seat (right side), and there are several different part number variants to this tank. I'm interested in getting one for expanding my capacity, but what are the pro's/con's to them, and how do they mount? they never sell with any mounting hardware, so how are they secured underneath the seatbox? I'm sure someone on here has them or has seen them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 extra tank.JPG
Views:	542
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	23849  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

That looks to be a Euro D90 Tank. the filler would be in your back seat passengers lap I think.
I have one of these in my truck. http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=39
It could work in yours. Goes right between the filler and the stock tank. The biggest issue is that it looks pretty vulnerable. I haven't whacked it yet though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I've got a 90 with the side tank as stock and a custom rear tank. It's nice having 100 L of fuel on board without carrying cans. The side tank is very prone to taking a wack but there are some good heavy duty guards that work well to protect it. I've got the guard that paddock sells and am very happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
from what I read, the tank I am referring to goes directly under the seatbox under the passenger seat, and the rearward fill line aims backward I believe to allow attachment to a second fill hose on the right rear quarterpanel. It's not exactly a side tank. If anybody has this tank as a second tank, I would certainly be interested in seeing pics of it. I'm most likely to go with an inline 10gal wing tank however, that goes in the right rear quarter panel space behind the wheel well.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I might be having one of these made for a customer in the near future. Do you want me to have a second done for you? Are you comfortable with the fill from the seatbox? It is really not possible to route a hose up to the stock rear fill. I would love to see information that proves me wrong though. Might make the tank longer and a bit more shallow. I have the correct outrigger to hang the tank from as well. It could be copied rather easily. Might even be able to be a bolt on mount.

Not really interested in making very many of these. Unless the $ to do it is good. But might get one done for you if you are interested Mark.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
So I see this aux tank (it appears to be about 10 gal) on ebay UK quite a bit, and talked about in some other Rover forums. Understand it installs under the passenger side seat (right side), and there are several different part number variants to this tank. I'm interested in getting one for expanding my capacity, but what are the pro's/con's to them, and how do they mount? they never sell with any mounting hardware, so how are they secured underneath the seatbox? I'm sure someone on here has them or has seen them.
That tank won't fit on a station wagon 5 door. Te toe board for the second row seats is about 4" further forward than on a 3 door 110. The filler tube would end up in the middle of the floor for the second row seats with the filler cap would be in the middle of the second row doors.
I had just such a tank on my 3 door 110 but there was no neat way to fit it to the 5 door a great pity as 130 litres of fuel on board gave an immense range. I did a write up a few years ago in custom Mods, adding a side gas tank.
http://www.defendersource.com/
Hmmm that link didn.t quite take you all the way to the article

As you can see from the pictures the 90 tank extends beyond the rear of the seat box.
I've thought of getting a custom tank made to fit but it would need an under seat filler cap.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
That looks to be a Euro D90 Tank. the filler would be in your back seat passengers lap I think.
I have one of these in my truck. http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=39
It could work in yours. Goes right between the filler and the stock tank. The biggest issue is that it looks pretty vulnerable. I haven't whacked it yet though.
Good find it led me straight to the 110 tanks Just what I need, 1 side fuel the other side water. I'll start saving

Follow-up Post:

What you need is this:- http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=79
or this
http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=99
Keeps the weight low down and between the wheels.
I've saved the web site it looks like a good piece of kit.
You keep the storage box and battery box as standard

Last trip to Morocco saw me with 2 water jerry cans on 1 side aand two fuel cans on the otherside behind drive rand passenger seats. took up a lot of room inside. This looks a much better option.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Smile

I have a nice custom tank if your interested. I was going to install in my 95 but sold it. It looks like it will hold 8 to 10 gallons.

Brackets included
Attached Images

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There IS a tank that goes under the seat of a 110 SW. Rare as hens teeth, but I have seen it err at least pictures of it. It fills through the seat box cover.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Ron......

Do you have more pictures from different angles - I'm not sure how it fits.
Also, how vulnerable to offroad damage?

Follow-up Post:

Take a look at the "adding a Series gas tank" under Custom Mods on the d-90/com home page.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
There IS a tank that goes under the seat of a 110 SW. Rare as hens teeth, but I have seen it err at least pictures of it. It fills through the seat box cover.
It's a South African part, they are indeed rare as a very rare thing being made of unobtainium, I was offered one for 50.00 a year or so back and then nothing - no reply to communications such is life.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Thanks everybody. The one I will likely go with is the wheel arch tank that goes between the fill and the main tank in the right rear quarter. I was curious if this was a lower cost option. I looked into custom tanks but they seem to start around $600-$800, so I canned that.

I'm not in a rush on additional capacity right now, as I have enough projects sitting in my garage waiting for my return.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
Thanks everybody. The one I will likely go with is the wheel arch tank that goes between the fill and the main tank in the right rear quarter. I was curious if this was a lower cost option. I looked into custom tanks but they seem to start around $600-$800, so I canned that.

I'm not in a rush on additional capacity right now, as I have enough projects sitting in my garage waiting for my return.
I am curious as to how much these sat you back for ($$) and where are they available here in NA ?

Thanks !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I've had a request for some pics of my setup, this is all I have right now:

Old August 5th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post

Mark,
Did you ever do this wheel arch tank? It looks like a good solution.....
has anyone else used it or have a better idea???
thanks
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I'm probably going to get one of those wheel arch tanks too. Well maybe two - one for water, one for diesel.
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Mark,
thanks
Not yet, but it's still planned. I'm working towards a Belize trip in 2012, and might need it for that.
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Mark,
thanks
I have a dual tank system; mfj20th (jake) has the same set-up, and both were from the same place in CA. I haven't taken pics of it yet, but can if interested. Fill-up is in the rear wheelwell, and the tank is located under the passenger side. There's a switch in the cabin on the driver's side (for me at least) to just switch over to the AUX tank and back to the main. It works well. They're expensive though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
oem