defender model questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 18th, 2016, 10:49 AM
k3ndall
kendall
not yet

defender model questions

Hey guys,

So I am going to the UK in August and would like to import a defender. I know the basics of what I am looking for:

Defender 90
preferably 1994,1995,1997
open to a 1991 or older truck with a cool build (not to heavily built though, as it still has to clear customs)
Manual transmission

The finer details are where I struggle a bit though. It has been difficult for me to find specs on these older models. I would like:

V8 engine
Removable hard top

Is this a combination that exists? If so does it exist in one of the model years I'm looking at? Any help would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The truck must be 25 years or more old, so you can't get a 1994. V8s are more common in earlier trucks. Once the TDI came out in 1991, they were very rare.

Read here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...etc-13713.html to understand the rules for importing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 18th, 2016, 11:02 AM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ndall View Post
Hey guys,

So I am going to the UK in August and would like to import a defender. I know the basics of what I am looking for:

Defender 90
preferably 1994,1995,1997
open to a 1991 or older truck with a cool build (not to heavily built though, as it still has to clear customs)
Unclear. you would like to import a defender to the UK from USA?

If you are taking about bringing one back to USA then you should only consider 1991 and older.
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2016, 11:04 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Hey guys, So I am going to the UK in August and would like to import a defender. I know the basics of what I am looking for: Defender 90 preferably 1994,1995,1997
94, 95, and 97 are the years that are already here in US and are called NAS (North American Spec) therefore you would not want to go to the UK to try to locate one. eBay, Craigslist, etc. and in the vehicles for sale section on this forum are all great places to start looking for what you may want.
Old July 18th, 2016, 02:49 PM
k3ndall
kendall
not yet

I would be importing one to the us from the uk. I thought you could import anything 25 years old or the 94s 95s and 97s? Link for reference: file:///C:/Users/kenda/Downloads/elig092210%20(4).pdf I know I could just find a nas on the web, but I think I could get a cheaper one in better condition in the uk. Also the rhd appeals to me. My question is what engines were available when? and was there ever a model with a stock removable hard top?
Old July 18th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I would be importing one to the us from the uk. I thought you could import anything 25 years old or the 94s 95s and 97s?
Well, theoretically.... there are some 94,95 and 97 NAS trucks outside the U.S. that you could import!

Kinda like finding a needle in a haystack though...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 18th, 2016, 03:38 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
no such thing as an RHD NAS truck... and if it aint a NAS 94,95 and 97 we are the only country in north america that won't let you bring it in...yet.
Old July 18th, 2016, 04:12 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Well, theoretically.... there are some 94,95 and 97 NAS trucks outside the U.S. that you could import!

Kinda like finding a needle in a haystack though...

Several people have brought models in from Japan for example that meet the NAS spec. This has been detailed here and other sites.
What everyone else has stated are the rules for the US a 1991 (including the month of manufacture/registration) or earlier. If you want a clean (limited rust) RHD go to Australia. Most trucks I've seen from the UK need work unless it was in a garage for 25 years. Good luck in your search.
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:06 PM
k3ndall
kendall
not yet

So the 94,95, and 96 models have to be nas spec to be imported?
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:24 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Correct... simple math 2016 - 25 (vehicle must be this age) = 1991 or older.
Since 94,95, and 96 models are NOT 25 years old, they must be NAS Spec, ie built specifically for USA (technically North America, but USA is where it will end up).
If the vehicle is newer than 1991 and doesn't meet NAS Spec, it will be seized and you'll have to evaluate your options.
If it is 1991 or older it can only be imported if the build spec defined in the Vin matches the vehicle spec 100%.
So you CANNOT import a 1985 that has a TDI engine that came from a newer vehicle.
Do your homework, do your research.
For example all D-90 hardtops are removable, ie there is no such thing as a D90 with a permanent hardtop that cannot be removed.
You need to do research to understand what it is you're buying and importing and become fluent in the Land Rover vocabulary.
Otherwise you run the risk of asking questions that make you look completely ignorant and/or making a very expensive mistake.
Good Luck with your search and let us know what you find.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Kendall I would contact Uncle Douglas here on the forum and have him do your import work (it is what he does for a living) once you find the right truck. You will only be able to import a 25 year old or older unmolested truck. As for importing an NAS truck NAS = North American Spec and almost all were sent to the North American market which means they are already here and you don't need to import them. Some were sent to Japan and some were sent to the Middle East but not all those are eligible for import so contact Uncle Douglas and he will walk you through it. Also there is a ton of reading on the "what is legal to import" subject here as well. Good luck on your search.
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm not sure what PDF you tried posting but either way no you cannot import a 1994, 1995, or 1997 Defender 90 JUST BECAUSE those years were imported to the US back then. And the chances of you finding a 1997 in Japan or Dubai that fall within the very specific allowable VIN range, and also built by a very specific date, are VERY low.

Additionally, the only NAS 1994s and 95's I've seen available abroad were from forum members who'd exported them a couple of years prior. What's your budget? And have you looked around the for sale vehicles section yet? Surely there are plenty of trucks in there that meet your budget, otherwise the budget may be the issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, mod