Defender leaning to the left - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Defender leaning to the left

I just replaced both front and rear shocks, springs etc and my truck still leans to the driver side, noticably. I am pretty sure it leaned before the new shocks, but I definitely notice it now.

Does this happen to a lot of Defenders?

What is causing this?

And, yes, it does lean even without my fat a$$ in the driver seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Well since you've posted it in the for sale section.. I'll give you $20 for your left-leaning defender.

What springs did you use? LR Genuine and OME springs are different sizes (at least for discoveries).. the thought being, the slightly longer springs go on the drivers side to offset the weight of the driver while in there. Also, that being said, even with matched springs on my d2, some sides are different heights .. measure from the center cap of your wheel to the fender flare to get the most accurate measurement of size..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Hey Greg, maybe just try switching the springs (ds to ps) and see if that does it? If not, just order some rubberized isolators or OME trim packers from EE.

I have an OME 2" lift. As I recall, they were marked A and B. I put them on the bench and there was a slight difference. Not much though. Maybe you got a box with the same size springs in them.

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thread moved to Tech..

I'd try switching the sides

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Greg, I have the same issue even with the EE isolators. EE also sells a single rubber/plastic ring you insert to fix this. Don't know from personal experience if it actually works but they typically do things right. The ring is yellow and is shaped to compensate for the level of the spring. I think you may only need one in the rear left. My next set of springs will be from Rovertym which don't cause this silly problem.

BTW, I don't think the OME springs were designed to comp for the driver's weight. I think non-NAS 90's have their gas tanks on the side and needed this additional spring strength.

Clay
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40
BTW, I don't think the OME springs were designed to comp for the driver's weight. I think non-NAS 90's have their gas tanks on the side and needed this additional spring strength.

Clay
That's just something that I've always heard in the Discovery community.. anyways, from EE's site:

Quote:
The DS and PS designations denote "Driver Side" and "Passenger Side". Most Old Man Emu springs are "handed" and intended to be installed to a specific side of the vehicle. We have found this system can work on the Defenders but does not work well on the Discovery and Range Rover Classic. These latter vehicles usually list toward the passenger side when fitted with handed springs.

To avoid having your vehicle look like a torpedoed steamer, we sell our springs matched from side to side. In other words, the springs you purchase from us will be both DS or both PS.

We believe that the matching of springs generally results in a more level vehicle but provide the DS and PS length specifications for those customers who wish to stay with Old Man Emu's recommendations. Upon request, we will ship you unmatched springs, i.e., a pair of springs with PS and DS springs, if that is your preference.

Some vehicles will list whether or not matched or unmatched springs are fitted. These vehicles just want to lean. The Old Man Emu 10mm Trim Packer is designed to act as a shim to level out listing vehicle. Fit a Trim Packer to to the rear spring on your vehicle's low side to level things out.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Thanks for the help guys, I need to repaint my spring retainers anyway, so I will try to swap the springs.

I just received the shim from EE the other day. It seems like it will work, but I will swap the springs first.

Silly, but at first I thought maybe I put the springs in upside down, Like that would make a difference.
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Are you sure YOU aren't leaning? JK

I had this problem with a Mustang previously too. Double check that there isn't some sort of recess in the spring seats. I can't remember when I did mine, but I was thinking that there was something to do with the orientation of the spring itself. I may be thinking of another car though (its been a while).
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

If nothing was damaged before, then something is off. I don't have any experience with OME, but a vehicle should not lean. I'd be weary of simply putting in a shim to fix it, unless that is the specific remedy with OME. Have you noticed uneven tire wear or pulling under braking or acceleration before the swap?
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mine leans also.... OME non handed..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender le