Defender Source Forum banner

Defender Importing Company Reviews

54K views 172 replies 68 participants last post by  Forest 
#1 ·
#9 ·
We currently have vehicles in stock in the USA and UK. We have: 1 x 1988 110 rhd CSW TD in uk and 1 CSW in NC, 1 x 130 in NC, 1 x NAS 90 in NC, ! x 110 V8 project in UK, 1 x 90 in UK.
Our NC agent is in Wilmington.

We also have multiple diesel re-power kits available. And LHD conversion kits.

#11 ·
Interesting, because I just saw this one for sale by them as well:
Land Rover Defender 130 | eBay

Keep us posted once you get your truck, I'm assuming they did work on it as well as are shipping it into the States for you?

eBay said:
DEFENDER 130, The Pick up Chuck!

Always dreamed about owning your own, one of a kind Land Rover Defender… We at The Landrovers now offer the option to build the Defender that is right for you! Do not hesitate to contact us, and start building your own Dreamfender today!

Interested in our ´Build your Dream´ program? Find out more

To experience one of our most recent builds, please check our video channel: Driving Experience

Name: Pick up Chuck
VIN: SALLDHMV7FA362260
Body type: Land Rover Defender 130
Year: 1986
Mileage: 75,000
Title: Any
Current Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Final Destination: Anywhere in the US

Work and parts that has already been performed @ The Chuck and included in the starting price of $66,950

Finished in top quality Mercedes-Benz AMG Satin mat grey metallic
Completely rebuild engine
Completely rebuild gear box and transfer box
Completely rebuild brakes and suspension

Exterior
The Chuck has been finished in the top quality Mercedes-Benz AMG Satin mat grey metallic.
New doors: to prevent the well know problem of galvanic corrosion, all 4 doors are replaced by new ones.

Interior
Brand new premium Diamond Exmoor trim seats (4), plus cubby box (2).
Chassis

The chassis has been cleaned to bare metal and rust treated, painted and coated to ensure the best possible protection, to last at least another 25 years!

Engine

The complete engine is reconditioned. All parts that are subject to wear were replaced, such as valves, rubbers, gaskets, timing, water pump, hoses, belts, spark plugs, spark leads, air filters and so on. Further new parts in the engine bay are among others: radiator, oil filter, clutch system, release bearing and blower fan.

Drive Line

The complete drive line has been rebuild, including gearbox and transfer box.
Brakes and Suspension

The whole brakes and suspension system has been rebuild, including:
Brake pipes, cylinders, calipers, disks, pads, shoes and hoses.
Front and rear Axle: On the front axle we place new swivels and CV joints, on front and rear axle: drive axles and hubs including all seals and bearings.

Suspension: Springs, shocks, mountings and bushes. All new!We can perform any grade of restoration. From as-is to body off. We can go as far as you want and keep in mind that everything is possible! As long as you can imagine it, we can build it....

Other

New battery
New exhaust
New fuel tank, pump and fuel lines
New…. all parts that are subject to wear and tear

Chuck Customization Premium Upgrades

At this moment she is in the final stages of her rebuild, here in our shop in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

However there are still a lot of customization options left, and the Chuck is waiting to receive her final touch. To get an impression of what is possible in our Build your Dream program: Find out more

To mention a few options left for customization:

Exterior:
Color and type of the bonnet (Puma style or Standard)
Color and type of the front grill (KBX style or Standard)
Color of the flares

Load space
Teak wood deck
Canvas Soft Top

Wheel and tires
Choose your wheels and tires

Interior
Color and type of fabric of headliner (alcantara)
Door cards
Leather dash
Radio, sub-woofer
Acoustic insulation
Carpeting

Accessories
Side steps, rock sliders

Final Stage
Once completed, your Defender will be subjected to tough testing procedures prior to departure. Just to make sure all things are working like they should, and everything is adjusted to ensure a faultless Defender.

Delivery
We can deliver to any port on the East or South coast, or even better just at your doorstep!

Contact, Shipment and Title

We have several options to get in touch, Would you like to receive a callback or see us in person through Skype conference, just let us know your preferred one.

Locations Europe:
Our main office and workshop is located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. From here we have an easy access to all available Defenders plus parts in Europe. And above all: know how!
This is the location where most of the work is done.

Locations US:
For your convenience, we have three different offices in the US:
Our Houston TX office,
Our Seattle WA office, and
Philadelphia PA office/dealer
Let us know your preferred location and we will contact you.

Shipment and title
Shipping to any port on the East or South coast
Customs clearance including EPA and DOT tests.
Clear US title (TX, PA, or WA)

Us and our Customer:

According to the preferences, our ´build your dream´ customers are very much involved in the whole process. With all of them we've got contact on a daily basis, to discuss about all details and to provide them with
pictures of the progress made. The whole rebuild is very well documented by pictures, and an extensive list of all the parts and work done will be provided in ´The Presentation Sheet´.

Latest custom build customer testimonial:
After three years of looking for a “great condition” Defender 110 RHD in the US States with no luck, I stumbled onto The Landrovers website and eventually began communicating with Daniel Van Oort and Peter Zeisser. Within a couple of days I found myself excitedly considering a vehicle that wasn’t even in the US, something I had never considered prior.
You guys were top notch to deal with, at first I was a bit hesitant and skeptical but your professionalism and transparency helped put my mind at ease. You guys keeping me in the loop all throughout the project was tremendous, your response time was amazing. The final product was terrific, I have had the fortune of owning many nice vehicles and this Defender is one of the finest vehicles I have ever owned. My boys and I love going around with it.
I have enjoyed our business relationship, more importantly I gained a friend and thank you for all your trustworthiness.
S. Ghannam

For more information on the process, prices and references of previous customers please get in touch, we will be happy to assist.

Kind Regards,

The-Landrovers-horizontaal-blauw handtekening

Founders and Co-Owners,

Daniel van Oort and Peter Zeisser

Attachments

#12 ·
The engine, 19J in 1990, is a rebuild from Turner and the painting is done elsewhere, otherwise it is my understanding that the remaining work is done in house. Yes they will be shipping it into Houston. Apparently they have a representative there. Will keep the forum posted. I have high hopes.

#15 ·
I just had an '88 110 inported through Heritage and I had a good experience. Communication was good and he was patient with a new buyer.

The truck arrived (after being stuck in customs for 3 weeks), it started, it shifted, doors all open/close/lock, windows go up and down. And a surprise... it has a radio!
The bonnet stay was disconnected, but that most likely occurred at the port, and hopefully will be easily fixed with a cotter pin.

As for more in depth mechanical analysis... I'm not at that level:)

-Ed

#22 ·
FWIW - if you are importing a vehicle from over the pond, and are not going to do it yourself....and then you choose to NOT use Uncle Douglas aka Dividing Creek...then I just say "good luck"

Doug has forgotten more than others know, is on a first name (speed dial) basis with CBP folks and just knows his stuff. Period.

#26 ·
I think if you are looking to buy something "in stock" that a PPI would the best idea. If they are unwilling Ito entertain this I would steer clear of this shop. On the other hand if you are looking for a custom rebuild a PPI may not be feasible as most will require a substantial deposit or even the entire fee up front. This approach would make most understandably nervous, but working through a rebuild shop with a good reputation should provide some peace of mind. This link will provide you with many shops in good standing by the community. Of course Googling any rebuild house with "complaints" after their name will provide much insight and help you avoid those questionable shops. Forum members are a great resource and led me to the shop I am using as well as avoid some others.

#27 ·
While there may be other "amazing" importers doing "amazing" things, Uncle Douglas did the importation on my 110 and he was Rock Solid and did it right with no worries whatsoever. And this was during the height of the seizure bullshit from DHS/CBP. I Slept like a baby through the whole process because Uncle Doug knows his **** and does it right. Nothing amazing here.

#31 ·
Almost seems like it would be better to get a truck "as-is" and then modify here in the States. Paint can cover up some serious defects. Echo the sentiment that seeing in person is preferred. Seconded by having ones "agent" see it and report back. Clearly if the seller and the shop doing the PPI have a relationship....

#32 · (Edited)
90 plus percent of the trucks I handle these days for forum members are all original trucks. For the most part, the restoration process has been forced to change sides of the Atlantic by US Customs and disreputable shops in the UK.

Depending on where a truck is located we often have pre purchase inspections done. I have an awesome guy out of Merseyside, just wish he'd go further. Mobile vehicle inspectors are common in the UK. Depending on travel distance an inspection is typically around 250 quid.

#33 ·
Arkonik…..big disappointment

I received my '88 110 CSW from Arkonik late last spring. The experience started out very pleasant indeed. You will notice that all their testimonials are from folks that are anticipating their trucks, or have recently received them. None from folks that had owned their trucks for some time. This was the case until I brought this observation to their attention.

What I thought would be one of the most fun experiences turned into one of the worst experiences.

The truck was not sorted carefully at all. I had to sort out many shortcomings after delivery.
The problems that I encountered are too many to list here.

The most serious, in my opinion, is the accumulation of water into the truck from drainage of the doors. This soaks the carpeting under the rubber mats. So, I really can't use the truck in the rain, without days of drying out. The 110 arrived without ANY gaskets along the bottom of the doors. They altered the thresholds with stainless steel plates which will not allow the installation of the original gasket design.

Within a very short time and with very little exposure to rain, I noticed rust bleeding through the new paint on the rear door and front doors.

Arkonik offers a money back satisfaction guarantee in their sales contract. There is no time limit or other stipulations. I have asked Arkonik to fulfill their contract and collect the vehicle and issue a refund of my money. Their response has been that they will aid me in the sale of the truck. They also suggest that I made a mistake in buying a 110 from them and they made a mistake in selling one to me. (I have owned a D90 and 109 5 door for 10 years)

This post has been deleted
#36 ·
I agree all the high priced defender outfits selling to Americans are nothing more than fast talking corner cutting car dealers, but if you try to sell a cheap defender in the US its presumed junk. People have strange expectations in the US regarding these vehicles, they are 25 year old farm trucks and they were made in Britain. They are not 'fine automobiles' and were nobody's garage queens. Buy them for what they are if the price is right and build it up yourself, so you know what is done to it.

#37 ·
There are many customizers in Europe turning Defender into showboats. It's not a U.S. thing. Kahn, Chelsea Motor Works to name a couple.

The demand is high for custom automobiles. The supply is low. The price will continue to rise for quality work. Someone will figure out how to do this and reap the profits. I'd take it on but I'm too busy with other things. It's not rocket science.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.