Defender Importing Company Reviews - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabn82 View Post
Zombie motors???
Good, bad, ugly???
There are some lengthy discussions on this forum concerning Zombie motors and the guy who operates it. Also over on Pelican Parts there is quite a bit info on them as well. I believe he was banned from that site some time ago for his business dealings. I would also look up his criminal history.

Good luck and be careful.
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2016, 09:20 AM
xabn82
Billy
None

Daddy,
Thanks for the info on Zombie. I was going to contact him about a D90. Think I'll pass
Old October 10th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Krnlane
Ken Nickel-Lane
None

Ovlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanclean View Post
@krnlane. I just went through the process myself. I am also in Canada and it was a pretty smooth process. I got my D90 from the Landrovers out of Netherlands. They got it from Spain. I am very happy with it. It isn't perfect, but I knew that going into it. I had loads of questions and got great answers and advice from a few sources. I did the importing myself and it wasn't hard. Just have to make sure you have all the documents. I am a member of OVLR and that group is a fantastic bunch of people who helped a ton.
Deanclean

Thanks, have joined OVLR for a start. Did the group in the Netherlands take care of the shipping, and load on, or did you coordinate all that yourself?

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2016, 02:59 PM
deanclean
Ryan Stevens
1995 Defender 300tdi

They handled the shipping. Loaded it in the container and had all the original documents for me (ownership, title). I had to sort out getting it through customs. Paying duty, filling out "form one" , and registering it in Ontario. It was actually pretty straightforward but I did have advice from others. Feel free to PM me if you want any other information.
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:13 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
The Two Millennials Behind Dutch Safari Company Are Changing The US Import Game • Petrolicious
Recent post on petrolicious for Dutch Safari Co. Good writeup.

Old March 13th, 2017, 02:53 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Hipster Millenials trafficking in Santanas. What could possibly go wrong?
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:21 PM
110CSW
William
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Hipster Millenials trafficking in Santanas. What could possibly go wrong?
I take it you've met them to be passing judgement like this?
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110CSW View Post
To be fair: hipster millennials are to be hated.
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:45 PM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
They show a prettied-up Santana front & center. Caveat Emptor.
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:47 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmwong View Post
I am super happy more young people are getting into cars and are making it cool for other young people.
I think these are the money quotes from the interview. " All sorts of things went wrong so I wanted to buy a different car and stumbled into what I now know to be an abomination of a Land Rovers Series III with the fender flares on it, and it was polished aluminum with every trim piece done in purple. I spent the entire summer, and probably another $8,000 just trying to get everything working properly on that one."
Buying a Rover and getting it into good roadworthy shape can cost a lot especially if someone doesn't do most of there own work.

"As you said, everybody was in this market when we got into it, but the majority were mostly baby boomers and middle-aged guys who have an established way of doing things. People our age, millennials, don’t accept the way the classic car market is according to those terms." "We try to be completely transparent, and when a car comes to our shop it doesn’t leave until every single mechanical and electrical issue has been addressed, because 30-year-olds don’t want a classic car that needs five or six things done to it in order to drive every day, they want something that works every time; turnkey, ready to go."

If they really do take care of all the issues that come with your typical used car that is great and I really hope they do the same for Rovers as they can often be even more needy as we all know.

"The ’86 to ’89 Range Rovers are a perfect example for that, because what you have is a lot of people who would maybe be interested in a Defender, but they’re not ready to shell out $50,000." So as many of already know the Range Rover is more affordable option right now but they still want $50K for a Defender so not much different than other in the selling game.
I for one wish them well but as always nothing is better than getting a set of eyes on any truck in person and seeing for yourself. It's the only way you will know the real condition.
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:09 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
I don't think they are hiding the fact that it's a Santana. They list it as a Santana in their sale inventory, distinct from their Defenders, and it's badge clearly says Santana on the front.
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:11 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Am millennial, hate Sanata's.
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:27 PM
110CSW
William
None

I don't see the problem if you are or aren't a millennial or hate/don't hate Santanas. It's not like they're trying to pass them off as something else.
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:48 PM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
It's not like they're trying to pass them off as something else.
Most Americans, even gearhead-Americans, don't realize that there is any difference between a LR & a Santana. E.G., I didn't know until about 15yrs after I bought my first LR & about 20 years after I first noticed Defenders driving around in my parts of the U.S. It's up to legit indy LR pros to warn rookie buyers off Santanas, as opposed to featuring them.
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:21 PM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
no way I'd buy that Heritage after Michael Jackson just drove it through an oil-slicked cesspool https://petrolicious.com/2003-land-r...er-90-heritage
many others that have sold
Instagram: @SecondDailyClassics
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I don't see the problem if you are or aren't a millennial or hate/don't hate Santanas. It's not like they're trying to pass them off as something else.
Yes sellers pass a Santana off as English built Land Rovers and often use Defender in the description.
Santana never built a Defender or anything coil sprung that I am aware of.
Even the PS-10 and Iveco Massif were leaf sprung.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
So they are trying to peddle 25 plus year old shitbox Santanas as "turnkey, ready to go" so some 30 year old hipster can drive it like a Honda Civic and not have to fix it? I'm glad they are "trying to be transparent". I heard they give out Zak's personal cell number with every sale so they can get parts on the rare occasion these things actually break down.

"We try to be completely transparent, and when a car comes to our shop it doesn’t leave until every single mechanical and electrical issue has been addressed, because 30-year-olds don’t want a classic car that needs five or six things done to it in order to drive every day, they want something that works every time; turnkey, ready to go."
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:57 PM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchSafari View Post
We've also started bringing in the Santana 2500DC, 2500DL, and 3500DL models and parts for them as its hard to get santana specific parts unless you know exactly where to look, which we do.
These are the Santanas that have a defender look to them but thats about where the similarities stop, they are basically a super well thought out Series with parabolic springs, sway bars, a 5 speed manual and a galvanized chassis. They have some really cool updates and are really great and simple daily driver trucks.
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:00 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Cowboy

What is your motivation for attacking them?

Did they wrong you somehow? Do you know something the rest of do not?

Just wondering why you seem to be personally invested in trying to throw them under the buss?
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:46 PM
DutchSafari
Dutch Safari Company
1987 Range Rover 2 door TD

Quote:
First of all Hi I'm Nick from Dutch Safari Company,

I'll copy a little of the post i wrote in response to our Petrolicious article:

We've been a member here at Defender source since our first import in 2013 when we brought in a pretty rough V8 110 and a very nice white D90.

We are really happy with how the Petrolicious article came out, it gives a pretty good description of who we are what we are about. We mainly operate as a door to door on demand import service for classic cars anywhere in the world, we have experience in importing and exporting from all over Europe, South America and the Middle East. We also have a small collection of cars that we have personally selected for our inventory. We like to pick special versions, or very rare specification cars. We import them, title them, and then go over them completely mechanically and electrically before we offer them for sale.

You really should talk to us before passing judgement, we had an open house last weekend with free beers and tons of cool Rovers, you should have come out and talked shop with us. We'll be having more open houses as time goes on. We are not some company prettying up Santanas and passing them off as 90s, we embrace the Santana and have learned a whole lot about them and are creating a new support network for them. So far we are only importing 2500DC, 2500DL and 3500DL models as we have learned about them and created the network to get parts for them and repair them. We will service any car we sell and we will help any of our clients find parts.

The blue Santana featured front and center is one we picked that has less than 100k original miles thats the original paint on the truck with the original decal stripes down the side it has a galvanized frame from the factory and looks brand new on the floors, it has dents and character and its by no means shined up. Finding nice original, usable daily drivers is our focus when we buy cars for our collection, cosmetics are secondary.

Also to put the Santana vs land rover thing to rest, the VIN tags on the Santana 2500DC, 2500DL, and 3500DL say Land Rover Santana so everyone is right until they call it a Defender

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, import