Defender Importing Company Reviews - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:41 AM
AZDefender110
Brandon Gough
1989 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ11 View Post
Keep us posted - I personally wouldn't start recommending them until you get your final product but glad the ordering went smooth. Best of luck - will be great to have a solid restorer as it's pretty much just ECR that you can trust!
Yeah I hear ya. That's why I said talk to Carel and not specifically order one from him unless you feel comfortable. I'll post when I get back from the actual workshop in Amsterdam let you know. So far I'm happy and Carel seems genuine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:43 AM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

Brandon,
I sent you a PM.
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:47 AM
AZDefender110
Brandon Gough
1989 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Brandon,
I sent you a PM.
Dave I got it. I thought I responded but my iPad is acting funny. Would love to see your truck in person too. We live relatively close from what Rosalie told me. Glad we could connect.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:05 AM
cowboy
steven
'84 2-carb'd V8 4-speed 110 LHD SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDefender110 View Post
I ordered a defender 110 with several custom features and a LS3 upgrade.
Hmmm, how are you going to get a 110 with a LS3 swap imported into the U.S.?
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:39 AM
jason1st
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
+1

Also, I was all warm and fuzzy about my Euro purchase when I started out too. It ended up a complete goat f@#$. Good luck
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:02 AM
AZDefender110
Brandon Gough
1989 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
There are two legal ways to import the defender. It either has to have the original engine or an EPA compliant one. This is clearly stated on NHTSA, EPA, and DOT websites under the import rules. This one of the main reasons I chose this upgrade as opposed to a 300 tdi. 300 tdi didn't come out until 94. I didn't want to take any chances. There are several defenders running around here in the US with the 300 tdi however and no Feds knocking on their doors.

------ Follow up post added April 3rd, 2016 08:03 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
+1

Also, I was all warm and fuzzy about my Euro purchase when I started out too. It ended up a complete goat f@#$. Good luck
Who did you order from?
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:07 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
There are two legal ways to import the defender. It either has to have the original engine or an EPA compliant one. This is clearly stated on NHTSA, EPA, and DOT websites under the import rules.
Negatory. I'm sure you'll receive a plethora of responses to this, but vehicle must have its original or original type motor for import. Period. Nothing else.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:23 AM
AZDefender110
Brandon Gough
1989 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Negatory. I'm sure you'll receive a plethora of responses to this, but vehicle must have its original or original type motor for import. Period. Nothing else.
this I straight from the manual,Procedure for importing vehicles and engines into the US, on the EPAs website that directs you there from the NHTSA website

"Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption
unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control systems."

this made feel better to buy the LS3 upgrade as opposed to the 300 tdi upgrade.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:49 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
There are two legal ways to import the defender. It either has to have the original engine or an EPA compliant one. This is clearly stated on NHTSA, EPA, and DOT websites under the import rules. This one of the main reasons I chose this upgrade as opposed to a 300 tdi. 300 tdi didn't come out until 94. I didn't want to take any chances. There are several defenders running around here in the US with the 300 tdi however and no Feds knocking on their doors.

------ Follow up post added April 3rd, 2016 08:03 AM ------

Who did you order from?
Have you heard of anyone successfully importing a defender with an engine other than what was originally fitted?

I haven't read anything about that here on defender source. Would be interesting if true. You may be the first, good luck.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:03 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
this I straight from the manual,Procedure for importing vehicles and engines into the US, on the EPAs website that directs you there from the NHTSA website

"Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption
unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control systems."

this made feel better to buy the LS3 upgrade as opposed to the 300 tdi upgrade.
I assure you I am not making this up...please contact Willh on here, Uncle Douglas, or similar if you would rather do some additional research and procure their services. Vehicle must be in original, unmodified configuration for import. Change the LS after it gets here if you want, otherwise run the very likely risk of it sitting in port for months - if not years - and then needing to be shipped back from whence it came.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:17 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Jayzus! CBP will have a heyday when they see a well sorted LS under that bonnet. They're probably bored to death with the Tdci's, tdi's and TD5's.

Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Have you heard of anyone successfully importing a defender with an engine other than what was originally fitted?

I haven't read anything about that here on defender source. Would be interesting if true. You may be the first, good luck.
exactly what Oscar said.. You are playing russian roulette. If you"dont want to take any chances" import with stock drive train and do LS swap when it arrives.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:34 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Hey, you never know Brandon may know something nobody else knows. Heck, no one had ever jumped the Snake River Canyon before Evil Knievel.

Keep us updated on when the truck hits the port and when it clears customs.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

This shit just keeps getting better...from another thread about legality...

From the EPA guy:
If the vehicle is at least 21 years old (the age of the vehicle is determined by subtracting the calendar year of manufacture from the calendar year of importation). If the calendar year of manufacture is unavailable, the importer may substitute the model year or year of first registration. For instance, to qualify in 2001, the vehicle must have been manufactured in 1980 or earlier. The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. This means that the engine needs to be a direct replacement (original replacement engine from the OEM) or an after market engine that was built to be identical to the original engine.

If a vehicle is imported under this rule and you change the engine to a different engine than what it was originally manufactured with then it would no longer be exempt under the age exemption and you would be manufacturing a new configuration (new motor vehicle) and would require the vehicle be certified to current EPA Federal emission standards. Once the vehicle is in the U.S. and governed by U.S. regulations then it would fall under engine tampering

Yeah, what the "f" do we know...what's really sad is that people are not taking advantage of the incredible resource available to them by using the search function and actually reading all the info posted.
Shows how sleazy some of these companies are. They should know that this will cause problems once they look under the hood.

Please post up thier response about the legality of this restoration project and what magic spell they'll use to have it legally imported.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If I'd read your initial post more carefully I would have told you everything you are now hearing. If you chose to proceed this will happen: http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/video-ga...rover-defender

And I bet they are going to out a new chassis under it to. Another unsafe condition in CBP eyes that will send your truck to the crusher.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:20 AM
CJ's FJ
CJ
1985 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Shows how sleazy some of these companies are. They should know that this will cause problems once they look under the hood.
Agreed, now if any of these companies would commit in writing to refund a buyer's money/rectify the situation at no cost if it went wrong, I would at least feel a "little better" about attempting something like this. Particularly with $100K on the line.

Doubtful they would, and potentially meaningless if they did though.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:27 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Can we split this off to a separate thread? The original thread and this issue are good reads but together it might get muddy.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

Anybody stop to think that Brandon might be dealing with a company that might do the engine swap stateside? Just saying......... Definitely worth asking during his visit.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:32 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

If they are legit, then that would make sense but if you read his posts he leaves you with the impression that it's coming across the pond with the engine installed...
Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:17 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Anybody stop to think that Brandon might be dealing with a company that might do the engine swap stateside? Just saying......... Definitely worth asking during his visit.

Not according to this statement. He mentions the legality of importing not about whether its legal once its here.

"There are two legal ways to import the defender. It either has to have the original engine or an EPA compliant one. This is clearly stated on NHTSA, EPA, and DOT websites under the import rules. This one of the main reasons I chose this upgrade as opposed to a 300 tdi"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, import