Defender Hood not popping up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2017, 02:35 AM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Defender Hood not popping up

Having problems with the hood not popping up when I pull the release, somtimes it does..sometimes not. Greased up the release mechanism, checked the spring on the hood..no idea if i should mess with that, I see theres a lock nut and the possiblilty to turn the shaft but..compress the spring??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I had the same problem when I bought my D90. I took the spring mechanism off and cleaned the gunk of of it and lubed it. Then made sure the pin went into the latch on center so the side of the pin was not contacting the latch plate. Finally, make sure your release cable is pulling the latch open enough to fully release the post. Good luck.
Old December 9th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Not a fan of grease as it catches dirt, turning into a nasty paste.
Clear all the gunk off the catch with copious amounts of silicon spray( confess I accidentally used brake cleaner last time) them when clean use silicon lubricanting spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
99% of the time this is more an alignment problem than a lubrication problem. Ensure the pin is completely centered in the latch. Do not attempt to use the pin to align the hood (people actually do this and then wonder why the hood won't open). Also, ensure the hood level adjusters on each side of the latch are properly adjusted.
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old December 9th, 2017, 12:17 PM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

I'll clean and lube it today and check for alignment . Thanks for the advice guys.
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

If you never removed the hood and/or messed with any other parts mentioned above and the problem just appeared and cleaning/lubrication doesn't help, your release cable may be too worn/stretched and corroded/gunked up inside. Get a new one - they're cheap and relatively easy to replace.
Old December 11th, 2017, 01:29 AM
fastinjun
Mitch
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedrover View Post
If you never removed the hood and/or messed with any other parts mentioned above and the problem just appeared and cleaning/lubrication doesn't help, your release cable may be too worn/stretched and corroded/gunked up inside. Get a new one - they're cheap and relatively easy to replace.
According to the VIN it was originally a right hand drive 110, the previous owner said he had it converted around 2003 so Im guessing the whole front end was apart thus the hood not working right

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, hood