Defender Source Forum banner

Defender Hood not popping up

Tags
defender hood
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fastinjun 
#1 ·
Having problems with the hood not popping up when I pull the release, somtimes it does..sometimes not. Greased up the release mechanism, checked the spring on the hood..no idea if i should mess with that, I see theres a lock nut and the possiblilty to turn the shaft but..compress the spring??

#2 ·
I had the same problem when I bought my D90. I took the spring mechanism off and cleaned the gunk of of it and lubed it. Then made sure the pin went into the latch on center so the side of the pin was not contacting the latch plate. Finally, make sure your release cable is pulling the latch open enough to fully release the post. Good luck.

#3 ·
Not a fan of grease as it catches dirt, turning into a nasty paste.
Clear all the gunk off the catch with copious amounts of silicon spray( confess I accidentally used brake cleaner last time) them when clean use silicon lubricanting spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
99% of the time this is more an alignment problem than a lubrication problem. Ensure the pin is completely centered in the latch. Do not attempt to use the pin to align the hood (people actually do this and then wonder why the hood won't open). Also, ensure the hood level adjusters on each side of the latch are properly adjusted.

#6 ·
If you never removed the hood and/or messed with any other parts mentioned above and the problem just appeared and cleaning/lubrication doesn't help, your release cable may be too worn/stretched and corroded/gunked up inside. Get a new one - they're cheap and relatively easy to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.