Defender Hood - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2010, 12:27 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Defender Hood

Just wondering why if someone needed a hood they wouldnt get the td5 style instead of the ones that came on a NAS truck. Frame looks stronger. I am sure they have to be expensive and you would have to have a pretty screwed up hood to need a new one. Just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2010, 02:40 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The Td5 ones are lighter than the older type... only because they're weaker though, and can't carry a spare tyre on them.
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have one on my 95 SW... They are nice... Like Jim said, no tire though but I think in general, it is not as flimsy.
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Did they make them with better frames that dont rust?
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:20 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Basically when Ford saw the 1960s assembly methods Land Rover was using they converted the manufacturing process for the doors and bonnet from hand-welded frame and aluminum skin over to using a hydraulic press and die process where the two parts are manufactured from large sheets of galvanized steel squeezed into the final shape and then bonded together.

While 'not as strong' might be true in the absolute sense a pressed part is lighter, and in many ways significantly stronger, especially when it comes to metal fatigue stress and weld failure (since there are no welds) like when the door frames crack. I haven't seen the TD5 bonnet up close but in the doors (rear in 2002 and passenger doors in 2007) they went to galvanized skins as well which should end the premature corrosion issue as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hood