Defender height - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM
MAC
Max
'95 ST

Defender height

I think that I have finally found a Defender but have serious parking height constraints. The truck I am likely buying has a lift, serious aftermarket suspension (sorry, that's the best I can do as I am new to this) and much larger tires than stock. It currently sits at 84" and I need to get it down to 6'7" (79") which is an inch lower than stock. I obviously need smaller tires and to change out the springs, but I'm not sure what else.

Am I crazy to even consider this? Any advice?

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2013 08:07 AM ------

I plan to keep this forever, and once I get out Of the city will want to bring it right back to how it is today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:14 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
I think that I have finally found a Defender but have serious parking height constraints. The truck I am likely buying has a lift, serious aftermarket suspension (sorry, that's the best I can do as I am new to this) and much larger tires than stock. It currently sits at 84" and I need to get it down to 6'7" (79") which is an inch lower than stock. I obviously need smaller tires and to change out the springs, but I'm not sure what else.

I plan to keep this forever, and once I get out Of the city will want to bring it right back to how it is today.
Inch lower than stock?

The fact that you are asking these questions makes me think you don't know what you are getting yourself into.

If the truck has been lifted you need a list of mods so you can undo them all.

Somewhere like twisted could sell you lower springs.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
First off, you're already crazy for even considering buying a Defender. And the sickness only gets worse. Welcome to the club. But putting that aside, have you considered adjustable suspension?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You may want a Defender, but you need a Jeep.

I think you had this same type of thread last year, right? Like I said at that time I used a garage in Boston and it fit my lifted defender just fine. Defenders are already slow - by doing what you're talking about with smaller tires, you'll make it even slower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2741363121.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	72754  
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM
MAC
Max
'95 ST

Want a defender and new a defender. Just trying to figure out what my options are.

I have missed out on a few over the last year due to distance and timing, but I've found one local. It's a ST, which isn't what I originally wanted, but its too good to pass up. It's gotten to the point where my wife will kill me if I don't buy one.

Yes there are garages in Boston tall enough, but not within a mile.
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Sagged stock suspension should be around 67" even with stock tires.
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:28 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Is the garage "really" 6'7" or is that just what the sign says due to one light on the bottom level or something. I have one of my company buildings that I hit the 7' sign an one that I drive under. If we are talking an inch...chances are you would fit.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Is the truck red and a 1994 by any chance?

You can also take the rear portion of the cage off to gain another inch or two I believe, as the tallest part of the C portion of the cage (the rear) is the tallest part of the truck overall.
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:45 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:

I park a stock 110 in a 6'8" garage at work and home with no problem. I believe a stock 110 is usually taller than a stock ST 90.

Maybe folks here acan give you some measurements. You might get away with stock height and air down a bit if necessary. Shorter springs might affect other stuff like drive line angles.

I'd be sure to fully calc the parts and labor for doing this switch. A full switch is not a quick fix and you might even need stock length drive shafts to make it work without driveline vibrations.

Good luck
Clay
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:07 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
It currently sits at 84" and I need to get it down to 6'7" (79")
How big are the tires that are currently on it? The easiest thing to do is put it on 28 inch tires, which looks silly, but is the cheapest way to go. As everyone else has said, modifying the springs and suspension to lower the truck is much more complicated and expensive.
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:55 AM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

I think you had this same type of thread last year, right? Like I said at that time I used a garage in Boston and it fit my lifted defender just fine. Defenders are already slow - by doing what you're talking about with smaller tires, you'll make it even slower.
!!!!!!
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Quote:

Darn good looking 90.

jb
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
Darn good looking 90.

jb
Thanks. That one is not mine, but I could potentially tell you exactly where it was parked when that pic was taken. This one is mine:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35786
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:01 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

You can all always tell a NYC D90 cause it has Boosts...lol!
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:12 PM
MAC
Max
'95 ST

Quote:
Is the truck red and a 1994 by any chance?

You can also take the rear portion of the cage off to gain another inch or two I believe, as the tallest part of the C portion of the cage (the rear) is the tallest part of the truck overall.
It's green and a 95. Not currently listed but has been a few times over the past year (not here).

Thank everyone for the feedback. I know it sounds crazy, and I sound like I'm just jumping on the bandwagon, by I have wanted one since they were originally shipped here and am tired of falling back on the laundry list of excuses why the time isn't right.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:30 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I lived in a condo with a 6'6" garage door for a short time. In order to garage my D90 I swapped in RRC stock springs and 205/80-16 tires. It just fit under the door if it had a full tank of gas. Since I was doing some repairs to it and not driving it much at the time, it didn't matter, but long term it would suck.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob View Post
I lived in a condo with a 6'6" garage door for a short time. In order to garage my D90 I swapped in RRC stock springs and 205/80-16 tires. It just fit under the door if it had a full tank of gas. Since I was doing some repairs to it and not driving it much at the time, it didn't matter, but long term it would suck.
This is my ideal d90 ok maybe 235 70 R16 tires but RRC stock springs pre EAS give the nicest ride.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:49 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
MAC - Why buy a truck that is lifted with large tires if you need a truck that is stock. Patience, young grasshopper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions