Defender Source Forum banner

Defender Heater Box Re-Build

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  yankee 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I am in need of some advice. I am busy rebuilding my defender heater box. Bought a new matrix and decided to give the whole box a refurb. It had quite a bit of surface rust that I got with a wire brush.

Now my question is can I use rust converter to apply inside and outside and then coat it with a heat resistant top coat? I read an article where they said rust converters doesn't handle high temperatures well because of the polymer breaking down or something. Anyone who has gone this route?

Does anyone know what kind of temperatures can typically be expected inside a heater box?

Any help would be great!!

#6 ·
I removed my heater unit and cleaned it and added aluminum tape to the outside and some of the cavity that sits against the bulkhead. I also painted the under dash cavity that the hot air flows thru. Though no rust in the heater unit the cavity had a lot and had to paint it. I get paint smell faintly. Its only been a couple hundred miles and may go away. You may want to go carefully here especially if its toxic. Why not metal tape that can resist high heat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.