Defender fender eyebrows - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Defender fender eyebrows

I was thinking about replacing the eyebrow flares on my 90 and have been looking at what is available. Has anyone found ones that are the same as the oem? I can't tell from the descriptions, but the ones I see seem to be quite different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Not quite sure that I understand the question. The OEM ones are the same of OEM. Aftermarket ones are different....
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Confusion is that there were multiple types of OEM. Sand papery type, matte-ish finish (can't think of a better description) type, and now I see they're being replaced on many of the ECR builds and elsewhere with the gloss finish type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Horsey

Matte and sand paper should be the same. Over time the matte become San papery. Unless you mean something else. To the best of my knowledge you can only buy gloss ones as replacements. Land rover still supplies matte ones on trucks but they do not sell them which seems to suck if you need a replacement you have to get gloss. I saw ecr said they don't stay gloss for long so maybe it isn't a big deal. I also assume that the gloss ones are paintable unless there is a kind they use for painting.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I bought a couple a few years back, they came in glossy. I wasn't happy but a few months in the sun they turned matte, you have to look hard to tell them from originals.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
kevkon
kevin

Yeah, I understand the gloss vs matte finish. I was more curious about the composition. Are the replacements ABS plastic and more rigid?
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Horsey

Matte and sand paper should be the same. Over time the matte become San papery.
No there are ones that have a really coarse finish to them, with specks of shiny stuff on them, then there are smoother matte black ones (which I have on mine). Perhaps the coarse/sand papery ones were aftermarket or something, but I see them on a lot of trucks.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I ordered 2 rear flares for my trailer and got the gloss ones from britparts.uk and I would say in my amateur opinion that they are not as still of a material as the stock ones on my 90 - I have rough ones with specs of glittery stuff in them like Josh mentioned -

I would think you could paint them with some matte clear paint if you wanted
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I saw some aftermarket matte finish ones. RN was selling them. I think I bought one actually.
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
I ordered 2 rear flares for my trailer and got the gloss ones from britparts.uk and I would say in my amateur opinion that they are not as still of a material as the stock ones on my 90 - I have rough ones with specs of glittery stuff in them like Josh mentioned -

I would think you could paint them with some matte clear paint if you wanted
Sand paper is called old dry rot. Happens to them over time.
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:39 PM
kevkon
kevin

But are these replacements flexible like the oem units or more of a rigid plastic? I'm not loolking to paint them and it's not that I mind them being glossy. Just that when I hear they are a gloss finish I think they must be more of a plastic material and not as flexible.
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:45 PM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

yes, there are at least two kinds of construction. I bought a set as replacements to mine that are sort of worn out and they are less flexible and 2 layers thick. They seem less durable as they do not flex as much. I was bummed on them and have not installed them yet.

Needless to say I think they will look nice when installed.
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM
kevkon
kevin

That's what I thought. Do you know the make?
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I've never been a fan of the plastic eyebrows. Would it be difficult to source and install the new style front/rear wing panels that have the eyebrows out of metal (built in) say if one were to disassemble their vehicle and paint it anyway? Would they even fit an older Defender model?
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:51 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What metal ones?
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

There is an aftermarket larger one available, ABS plastic I think. Lucky 8 had some a while back. As mentioned above the replacements are smooth gloss finish. The older ones did have more of a texture to them from new. If you get a replacement you can spray on a texture finish, like bedliner, and then over spray with a semi-gloss paint that will then match pretty well with what you currently have. There is a good thread on doing this here on the forum.
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm talking about eliminating the plastic eyebrows completely and getting the newer front fender/rear tub side panels that have flares/eyebrows part of the fender itself. All the newer models in Europe are this way.
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:18 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I'm talking about eliminating the plastic eyebrows completely and getting the newer front fender/rear tub side panels that have flares/eyebrows part of the fender itself. All the newer models in Europe are this way.
There is no difference between a new truck and an old. They still have the same fenders, tub (there are differences but not where the flares are concerned), and flares, attached the same way. I think you are confused because on some new trucks you can get painted flares to match the truck. They use the same flares, but they prep and paint them. On lower model trucks they still offer the matte flares. It is weird because you can buy a truck with matte flares but if you ruin them land rover will only sell you a gloss replacement.
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hinckley423
Charles Joerss
1995 D-90 #2812

Registry
Where can one find them?
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Wow. Really? So the brand new Defenders in Europe still has plastic eyebrows, they're just painted to match body color?

Amazing. It appears that I have been confused about this fact during my last 22 years of land rover ownership (or at least as long as they have been painting them).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions