Defender engine comp fuse box installation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:48 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Defender engine comp fuse box installation

I found that my original 1994 NAS V8 engine compartment fuse box was literally dangling off the mount and does not have a cover. That combination and off roading have resulted in it being quite dirty, dusty and muddy and exposed to the elements.

I understand from a prior post / issue that one user had cleaned out his fuse box connections in the engine compartment and remedied an intermittent power loss issue (that I am also experiencing).

I don't have a cover and decided to order a new fuse box from RN (AMR1637) originally with the idea I would just use the cover. It then occurred to me that while I'm taking the original fuse box apart to clean it up and the connections, it may just make sense to replace the entire box (the kit comes with box, cover and long thick red cable).

Has anyone done this work before? Is there any trick to it? Is it a bad idea? Should I just clean the old box and connections and put on the new cover and leave as is?

Just seems like a good opportunity to get it all new.

My ultimate goal with these types of fixes is increased reliability (not just getting shiny new looking stuff).

Thanks in advance for the input.

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2015, 09:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I just had mine off today, but didn't go as far as moving the bottom cover to inspect the connections underneath. I would imagine they could be cleaned up, but all new would obviously be better. Mine doesn't have a cover either and I'd like to replace it as well - but that's a bit pricey for a cover.

Does that kit come with the other sides of the connectors?
Old August 12th, 2015, 09:20 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
The kit (for that price) looks to be the entire fuse box (top/cover and bottom) as well as the main wire (red). So that didn't sound too bad to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2015, 07:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes if the kit comes with the other sides of the connectors and you use it all I agree. But not for just the cover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, engine, installation