Defender died, will start but dies after idles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 16th, 2016, 07:02 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Defender died, will start but dies after idles

Truck running fine. Will start so not a battery problem but won't keep on running unless the gas is continuously pressed. It starts repeatedly but always dies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 07:58 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
so many variables its difficult to pinpoint.
air filterer fuel filter blockage, low fuel pressure, aic valve, timing plugs tune up air leaks, hoses, mae, oxygen sensors ...so much more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2016, 10:29 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Maf>>>>>>>>>>>
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:11 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Agreed. $5 bucks says it's the MAF, throttle body, or stepper (IACV)

Sputters? Tach bobs a bit under 650 and then quits? Been there. Two different $8 cans of spray cleaners and 10 minutes and you should be golden. If not, $5 should buy you a pretty decent beer or two, to drink while you cross those three culprits off your list, and scratch your head again. ;-)
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks all, I had the throttle body cleaned when I initially posted in May and all was well until last night when it just sputtered and died as I pulled into my driveway. It started again with some difficulty and died again.

This time, I'll clean the throttle body again (had it done by the local mechanic) but I'll also look into the MAF. I know on the Porsche, the MAF can be cleaned but on a 95 NAS V8, can it be cleaned or is it better to replace?

Looking at the Rovers North, is the MAF in the Defender not a small, low cost part? For the 97 Defender it is around $1200.
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:41 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
Looking at the Rovers North, is the MAF in the Defender not a small, low cost part? For the 97 Defender it is around $1200.
This should do it I think. Should be PN ERR5198. $86 for aftermarket vs $1500 for OEM. I would try the aftermarket. Delivery from this supplier usually takes about 4 business days to east coast.

https://www.lrdirect.com/ERR5198-Air-Flow-Meter-3.9Efi/
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:15 AM
One Ten
Sam
1997 NAS110

I had a problem like that. It turned out to be a vacuum leak. My brother had a special machine that pumped in smoke so you could see where the leak is. I resealed the upper plenum to the lower and it was fixed.
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:20 AM
lrna04
Michael
1994 D90

Registry
Check the code
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:25 AM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
This should do it I think. Should be PN ERR5198. $86 for aftermarket vs $1500 for OEM. I would try the aftermarket. Delivery from this supplier usually takes about 4 business days to east coast.

https://www.lrdirect.com/ERR5198-Air-Flow-Meter-3.9Efi/
Thanks Adam, just ordered the cheap Brit Part. Will clean the throttle this weekend and if still a problem, replace the MAF when it arrives. Is it plug and play or is there a reprogramming of the truck that needs to be done?

$86 vs $1200, sounds like I'm buying a Persian rug at full retail if I did buy the LR part.
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:39 AM
JSBriggs
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team

Registry
It still sounds like the stepper motor (Idle Air Control Valve) Was that replaced. You can get an Astro van one at Vato Zone for $20 or so.

-Jeff
Old September 30th, 2016, 10:43 AM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It still sounds like the stepper motor (Idle Air Control Valve) Was that replaced. You can get an Astro van one at Vato Zone for $20 or so.

-Jeff
I'll get that too.

For all those that do their own wrenching, would changing the stepper motor and MAF sensor be easy in terms of technical difficulty and accessibility?

I did change out the plugs on my 911 which I considered a great accomplishment. If this is in the simple category, I'd like to tackle it myself.

Thanks Jeff: I found this at DiscoWeb:part #s are 25527077 for the ACDelco and 779-10003 for the GP Sorenson. $27 at Advance Auto. works for the 3.9 or 4.2 of course.
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM
JSBriggs
Jeff Briggs
Site Team

Registry
Yes both are easy to change. Id do the stepper first. The purpose of it is to allow air into the intake to allow it to run at idle/closed throttle. Without it the engine is choked off.

-Jeff
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Test things. Don't be a part swapper. The system is pretty simple and you can test each item to figure out what is wrong. Grab the workshop manual and go through the troubleshooting.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:30 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Test things. Don't be a part swapper. The system is pretty simple and you can test each item to figure out what is wrong. Grab the workshop manual and go through the troubleshooting.
Thanks John.

I looked at the workshop manual on the CD that came with the truck when I bought it but it the V8 engine it describes is carburated so it is way out of date.

I just bought the NAS specific manual in binder form from Rovers North but will take a week or so to get here.

Is there an online version of the NAS specific Defender workshop manual that I can download from the internet as I'd like to get my truck back on the road sooner than later. I'm going to get the stepper motor tomorrow and clean up the throttle body as well and would like the appropriate work shop manual for instruction.
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Try the RRC Fuel Injection section: http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...-Injection.pdf I think it may be better to use. The NAS manuals are online somewhere as well, but I think they skip over a lot of the manual checks and assume you have a computer. If you are going to have this long time, then it would be worth getting a cable and setting up Rovergauge on a laptop. It makes life easier.

Old September 30th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Edit, wrong one...

Old September 30th, 2016, 08:49 PM
JSBriggs
Jeff Briggs
Site Team

Registry
Charles has some on his site. http://lhsw.com/d90/

As does Lav. https://www.seriesdefender.com/manuals.html

-Jeff
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:50 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Try the RRC Fuel Injection section: http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file...-Injection.pdf I think it may be better to use. The NAS manuals are online somewhere as well, but I think they skip over a lot of the manual checks and assume you have a computer. If you are going to have this long time, then it would be worth getting a cable and setting up Rovergauge on a laptop. It makes life easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Charles has some on his site. Untitled Document

As does Lav. https://www.seriesdefender.com/manuals.html

-Jeff
Thank you very much John and Jeff. I looked at these PDF's and they should work for me. Still want to get the NAS workshop manuals as they may be helpful.

Regards,

Lawrence
Old October 2nd, 2016, 03:24 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks all. I just changed the idle air control valve (from Pep Boys instead of LR thanks to Jeff) and air filter. Still waiting for the Britpart MAF from the UK but the truck idling is very smooth. Had it idle for 15 minutes and no shut off. Very, very happy. Can't wait to tell the wife as she was hinting the Defender was causing too much trouble and needed to be sold. That was my reason for trying DIY and not adding any unneeded cost to the situation.

What do you think? Is the air filter dirty enough to cause idling issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	158883  
Old October 2nd, 2016, 03:45 PM
JSBriggs
Jeff Briggs
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
Thanks all. I just changed the idle air control valve (from Pep Boys instead of LR thanks to Jeff) and air filter. Still waiting for the Britpart MAF from the UK but the truck idling is very smooth. Had it idle for 15 minutes and no shut off. Very, very happy. Can't wait to tell the wife as she was hinting the Defender was causing too much trouble and needed to be sold. That was my reason for trying DIY and not adding any unneeded cost to the situation.

What do you think? Is the air filter dirty enough to cause idling issues?
Sound like its solved. While the filter is dirty Id say it was the IACV. If you are curious, put the old filter back in, i bet it still runs just as smoothly. If you are still curious, put the new filter in with the old stepper. I bet it chokes off again.

-Jeff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, idle, start