Defender class 3 hitch on the cheap? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 1st, 2015, 03:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderMd View Post
That said... Are the civillian crossmembers drilled the same way? They have a different trailer hitch pattern... But i have t seen them naked... I know mine has extra holes...
Sorry about that. One question - why are you running that extra plate between the crossmember and the hitch? The hitch itself is 1/2" thick. Is it just as a spacer for the bolts?

Not sure about NAS truck, but the PO of my truck had the EXMOD bolt pattern installed on the heavy duty rear cross, so it worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2015, 12:21 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Sorry about that. One question - why are you running that extra plate between the crossmember and the hitch? The hitch itself is 1/2" thick. Is it just as a spacer for the bolts?

Not sure about NAS truck, but the PO of my truck had the EXMOD bolt pattern installed on the heavy duty rear cross, so it worked for me.
Yes... I was being cheap... the bolts that held on the pintle were shoulder bolts and like.. 6 inches long.
they went all the way through the pintle.

Pic doesn't really show since it fits so well. I have a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch plate that the pintle bolted through.

I didn't wire it yet, so I don't have much incentive to worry about it. Just pull trailers around the farm. I'll get the right bolts next summer when I'm doing more work to it. I have a hand full of parts I'm waiting for warm, not muddy weather to work on. When I bought it it was summer, but the paperwork took forever to accomplish. I didn't want to put the cart before the horse man-hours wise.

But as you can see even with my giant ass bolts there's plenty of room without moving the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	110221  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2015, 12:26 PM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderMd View Post
Yes... I was being cheap... the bolts that held on the pintle were shoulder bolts and like.. 6 inches long.
they went all the way through the pintle.

Pic doesn't really show since it fits so well. I have a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch plate that the pintle bolted through.

I didn't wire it yet, so I don't have much incentive to worry about it. Just pull trailers around the farm. I'll get the right bolts next seasonummer when I'm doing more work to it. I have a hand full of parts I'm waiting for warm, not muddy weather to work on. When I bought it it was summer, but the paperwork took forever to accomplish. I didn't want to put the cart before the horse man-hours wise.

But as you can see even with my giant ass bolts there's plenty of room without moving the tank.
Those long bolts next to the fuel tank scream Ford Pinto and Crown Vic PD cruiser to me.
Old January 5th, 2015, 12:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Makes perfect sense, thanks!
Old January 5th, 2015, 12:28 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
and I don't know if MOD is different but my rear cross member is... according to the calipers.. about 9 gauge.
Its double ply and it came out to .33 inches with my micrometer. Figure even after brushing, there's paint and rust... so.. 9 or 10 gauge. doubled over most of it.

------ Follow up post added January 5th, 2015 12:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Those long bolts next to the fuel tank scream Ford Pinto and Crown Vic PD cruiser to me.
Good thing its a diesel! and... there's a good amount of sheet metal between those bolts and a ruptured tank.

Yea.. they need the right bolts. I guess even a land rover... or maybe especially, ya don't need to push your already horrible chances.

And we could get into a long thing about the crown vic... pretty standard design or it was anyway.... just parked along the highway with heroes in it a lot.
I've had a few of trunk tanks, and I've only owned 1 ford.
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Rdh74
Ricky Harris
None

Thanks for the great find on the hitches!! I installed mine yesterday and it worked like a charm, I used the same bolts that held on the pintle hitch along with some washers.

For $73 dollars you can't go wrong.

Thanks again!!
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:09 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Yea i was a bit baffled by the price of the landy ones. Forced the issue. Paid less for a full on frame hitch delivered. Ive since used it with no problems. Even stupidly pulled up a stump with it, using a d ring adapter. Its at least as solid as that little "clip on" that wranglers use
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:07 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
fwiw any hitch that doesn't have ties forward to two holes through the frame @ the low point in the rear should be considered extremely light duty. Rear cross members are made from dinky 14 gauge steel and are easy as hell to twist or pull in a V if you do not have the forward braces like the NAS bumpers or the dixon bate setup use. Guess how I came by this knowledge..... see signature line
To DefenderMd,
Do you have any interest in the hitch support brace off of a 90?, with a little fab work it should do exactly what Doug is mentioning here. Its yours for the cost of shipping if so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hitch1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	120158   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	120159  

Old May 7th, 2015, 09:35 AM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Thanks, for real towing I have a tow vehicle that will maintain highway speeds reasonably. I just wanted something for around the farm, or down to the tractor store. I can fab a brace easily if I need one, probably for about the cost of shipping.

3 things..
1: Something to note for anyone (if I can I'll edit my first post) Class 3 should probably not be used in describing this, in its true terms. 2 inch receiver would be better.. I pull an "suv" size trailer max gross weight 3500 lbs, at 2.5 NAD speeds and stopping power. I cannot vouch for heavy loads or rusty crossmembers. Though heavier things generally have brakes. I would not use it for extrication of vehicle from ditches. I would not use it without a good wide backing plate with rounded edges.

2: not all of us are hindered by the 14 ga rear member... mine is the 1 ton/heavy duty, appears to be 9ga (based on measuring the steel, albeit english "steel") buttresed with 1/4" backing plate. I wonder if NAS rovers are particularly weak to account for american collision requirements. or if its just the Civvy rovers in general.

3: I consider all things land rover to be "extreme light duty". Compared to light trucks anyway". I've hauled a ton (1000kg) in the bed my truck with no dificulty at all, but those crossmembers... I don't trust them.

Like I said earlier, the thing is affixed in similar fashion to a similar body part as on the jeep wranglers. They have a a 3500lb limit max (4 door rubicon 4:10s) Seems reasonable limit which to stick. I don't know what rover advertises. I do know they pull a crap ton more in the army with a similarly mounted pintle.
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:46 AM
JSBriggs
Site Team

Another Option.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ber-73820.html

M998 HUMVEE HMMWV 2" RECEIVER HITCH

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	159752

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	159753Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	159754

-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, hitch