Defender Check/Serive Engine Light - help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:15 AM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

Defender Check/Serive Engine Light - help!

I had a service engine light come on a couple of weeks ago, and found that the cats were clogged. The truck only has 107k on it (94 model) and the cats had been replaced earlier in its life. Plus, the truck had been running so-so and sputtering. So, upon inspection, I found that the 02 sensors were before the cats. Being that KY has no VET and I use the vehicle mostly off-road, I removed said cats.

The rig ran great, sounded throaty, and life was well again in Land Rover Land. But two days ago the check engine light illuminated. It was due for an oil change and was about a 1/2 quart low (leaks) and a little low on water (don't know where it goes, but not in the oil or out the pipe that I can tell - its always used a cup or sow between changes). Regardless, it runs fine, pulls fine, doesn't overheat, has oil and water, - The lights are just staying on (both check and service engine). Is there anyway to manually pull the codes from the computer (via beeps or flashes) to see what is up? I don't want to burn it up!

Please give any input if you have had a similar situation.

Thanks,
Scott
94 D-90 NAS POE
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:24 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Just to clarify - Check engine light is yellow. Service engine light is red. The only thing the Service Engine ligh tells you is "time to give $$ to the dealer to reset the light". Pull the bulb out, or reset it yourself.

The check engine light will give you a code on an LED display that should be in front of the passenger's feet. If you have AC, it will be inside a litle access panel in the AC panel. You can then look up the codes and fix whatever problem it is. At that mileage you want to know what it is that's throwing a code before you start randomly replacing things.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:42 AM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

Dave,

Hey thanks! I've only had this thing for a few months. It had been running weird as I stated, exhaust gas was hot, and cats and mufflers were hotter than should be. Upon removal, the cats were broken up. I didn't just remove them for no reason. As with most open-loop exhaust vehicles (cats aft of 02s) I figured I could remove them witout a problem. I did not know the red lamp was a dealer money grabber - the manual said it was for emission related service. Now both (red and orange) are on and I wanted to know if the cat removal could do that.

The LED read-out info is a great help, I do have A/C, I will check it today. Is there a place here on D-90 that lists the codes, or is there some other place? I ordered a cd manual off ebay, it has a LOT of stuff on it, but I have not found code info. Its a dealer CD and the diagnostic all seems to relate to their prop. machine.

I love the rig so far... the only real problems I have had have been finding a matching spare, the fuel guage is wrong, and the soft top seems to have shrunk while the aluminum top was on it. I have learned to deal with the fuel issue (need to just get a new pump assy I suppose), I need to keep looking for the 15" steel wheel, and as for the top - I hope the summer sun will help it to stretch; I have a 3/4" gap behind the doors and under the back window - plus I am missing the ds rod for door closure.

Anyway, thanks for the help - let me know more about finding the code breakdown if you can.

Scott
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:57 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Kerr
Dave,

Hey thanks! I've only had this thing for a few months. It had been running weird as I stated, exhaust gas was hot, and cats and mufflers were hotter than should be. Upon removal, the cats were broken up. I didn't just remove them for no reason. As with most open-loop exhaust vehicles (cats aft of 02s) I figured I could remove them witout a problem. I did not know the red lamp was a dealer money grabber - the manual said it was for emission related service. Now both (red and orange) are on and I wanted to know if the cat removal could do that.

The LED read-out info is a great help, I do have A/C, I will check it today. Is there a place here on D-90 that lists the codes, or is there some other place? I ordered a cd manual off ebay, it has a LOT of stuff on it, but I have not found code info. Its a dealer CD and the diagnostic all seems to relate to their prop. machine.

I love the rig so far... the only real problems I have had have been finding a matching spare, the fuel guage is wrong, and the soft top seems to have shrunk while the aluminum top was on it. I have learned to deal with the fuel issue (need to just get a new pump assy I suppose), I need to keep looking for the 15" steel wheel, and as for the top - I hope the summer sun will help it to stretch; I have a 3/4" gap behind the doors and under the back window - plus I am missing the ds rod for door closure.

Anyway, thanks for the help - let me know more about finding the code breakdown if you can.

Scott
Check
here for a code list. I bet Mike H will tell us that the list is on this site too Removing the cats shouldn't be detected by the engine fault system.

I don't think there's anything you can do to make the top fit right besides spend $$$ for a Badger Coachworks top.

Follow-up Post:

Ha! Beat you Mike! On this site under the FAQ, check the engine diagnostic section. It lists the codes plus the proper reading procedure.
EDIT By MIKE!: You could at least leave the link Dave
http://www.defendersource.com/faq/En...ult.html#Codes
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:34 AM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

You guys are great... I appreciate the help.

Scott
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Kerr
It had been running weird as I stated, exhaust gas was hot, and cats and mufflers were hotter than should be. Upon removal, the cats were broken up. I didn't just remove them for no reason. As with most open-loop exhaust vehicles (cats aft of 02s) I figured I could remove them witout a problem. I did not know the red lamp was a dealer money grabber - the manual said it was for emission related service. Now both (red and orange) are on and I wanted to know if the cat removal could do that.
Don't they come stock like this?

Welcome to the club, it only gets more addictive.
Some answers to your problem that I've discovered in my short time as a defender owner, I'm sure others with more experience will throw in their $0.02 as well:
Matching Spare: They all match with mud on them.
Fuel Guage: Not broken, it really is using that much gas. That, or you have one of the limited edition Defenders with the aftermarket leak in the fuel tank installed at the factory.
Soft top: They stretch great with a set of channel locks on 'em. Side note, they make black duct tape for when you tear it.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I know for a fact that my cats are as empty as Paris Hilton's skull, so not having cats shouldn't trip the Check Engine light at all. The O2's on a '94 only measure the pre-cat exhaust to adjust the air/fuel mixture at the injectors.

The red "Service engine" light is just a timer, comes on at so many miles to tell you to have the emissions system inspected by the dealership. Some folks remove the bulb, some folks remove the timer box, some folks reset it.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:09 AM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

Hey Scott, as far as the soft top fit...I think some of the guys on this site have taken their tops to an automotive / boat shop and had some material added to the back of the soft tops. They could just sew in a 2" strip along the rear and you should be good to go. Just a thought,
chris
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:32 AM
B-Kerr
Scott Carter
1994 D-90 POE - Green

I appreciate all the input. As for the orage/yellow check engine lamp... I drove to work the other morning with the lights on due to fog. I forgot to turn them off, so the battery was drained by 6:00pm. After the jump start, the light was gone and has not came back on. I did not think it was the cat removal anyway, but I wanted to check. As for the fuel guage, I am getting a wapping 13.2 mpg! That's no the issue though - sometimes it runs out at 1/4 tank, sometimes 1/2" - I just never know, but I keep 5 gallons on the back now! The top is just a pain as are the doors; I'll be glad when its a little warmer so I can just leave the thing off and put on it a bikini top.

Thanks for the help.

PS... any of you guys from around KY? I have only seen one D-90 around and it was on the Rover lot in Louisville.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, ht