Defender build up - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 18th, 2007, 12:09 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Defender build up

Automotive legend has it that in the old days a typical Ford dealership had all the parts on hand to build up a complete Model T (or was it a VW dealership and Beetles?). Anyway it's just a "Can it be done" theoretical question, but how much would it cost to build up a completely new Defender 90 (if it is possible) using catalog and USA dealership sourced parts? Interesting to see a complete breakdown on $$ for major sub assemblies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

First, everything isn't available for the NAS version (rollcage comes to mind). My projects tend to start when I have about 80% of a build available. Costs can get prohibitive for all parts, but sourcing through George at RDS, Rovers North (expensive, but can get most things), worldpak, and a friendly rover dealer or two; you can get new parts with time and money.
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I asked this question like 5 years ago to RN but for a S3, I was
told that around 30 to 35 K.

Probably twice that for a D90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

With a Series III, this would be a fun project. Nothing terribly complicated there. It would be quite a sight to see crates of parts in the garage at the start, then slowly they transform into a vehicle.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

If you could source a CKD from South Africa, South America or somewhere (minus the frame and engine), that would be fun.
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I'm basically doing that with a 1967 Series IIA - I started with a complete truck - took it completely apart and am going to start building it up from a freshly galvanized frame as soon as my Porsche 356 project goes to the body shop.
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I read an artical a while ago that if you bought every piece separately of a 2000 Honda Civic it would cost over 100,000 to get the entire car. This was compiled using only dealer parts, and every single part purchased separately, i.e. no crate motor. So I would imagine if you did a D90 from a LR dealer it could be that expensive.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Been there...done that.

I can tell you one thing, it ain't cheap.

EDIT: TWICE.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The most expensive part is the title.
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
The most expensive part is the title.
Hehe, quite possibly.

You pickin' a fight?
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
If you could source a CKD from South Africa, South America or somewhere (minus the frame and engine), that would be fun.
Well.... The original poster stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite
how much would it cost to build up a completely new Defender 90 (if it is possible) using catalog and USA dealership sourced parts?
But I agree: it would be fun to buy a few CKD kits and build the vehicules from scratch. Now.... If we could legally buy/import them and title them in the US, then that'd be even better (not trying to start an argument, do a search, that has been discussed before).

And it is true that some NAS parts can not be bought new anymore.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawayama
Been there...done that.

I can tell you one thing, it ain't cheap.

EDIT: TWICE.
I have done it twice also, I agree completely. I would say $55K+, if you can find new take offs. Piece by piece, I can't even imagine. Then there is of course the title as mentioned already.
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Interestingly, this theoretical build-up maybe less expensive than that 100k Honda build-up because the D-90's don't have a whole lot of electronic equipment: no airbags, ABS, power windows. Basically it's a frame, drivetrain, body , minimal interior trim, and as for the engine sub-assembly (engine block, cooling, fuel system) you can always consider an off-the-shelf substitute (IH, Chevy, Ford, etc).
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

If I were starting from scratch I'd get one of the coil conversion chassis for a Series truck and "rebuild" a SIIA - re-use a few select pieces and everything is legal (and easy).
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Stupid question: why is it so much cheaper for a Series, than a Defender? The Defenders are newer, in production more recently (no?)... wouldn't there be greater availability of parts for a D?

I figured a Series (yes, noob here) would be incredibly difficult to source parts for.
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Having a legal title make the SIIA better to rebuild. The title can cause all sorts of problems on a truck build. There are no legal defender titles other than NAS titles and if you go that route you are parting with some serious money just to get a title. Let say you buy a burned up completely trashed NAS defender, you still looking at probably over $10k...and all you will have is a salvaged Defender title and a bunch of melted aluminum and rusted steel. But it will be a legal defender title.

If on the other hand you go with a SIIA titled truck, in the end you will have the same truck, and it will still be legally titled. Plus it will be cheaper to insure
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Over here in the USA there are a lot more Series trucks that you could get used parts off of if you wanted to save a dollar or two and there are even fewer parts on a Series truck (especially a SIIA when compared to a SIII - no plastic dash parts for instance). You could legally build a SIIA with any kind of engine you want - V8, 200Tdi or 300Tdi without any emissions or title issues.

A couple of years ago at MAR there was guy from Massachussetts with a 109 SIIA wagon with a Marsland coil sprung chassis under it. The original chassis had rusted out and he replaced it with a 109" coiler conversion. He used Range Rover/Discovery axles (disc brakes!!!!) and kept his stock 4 cylinder 2.25 engine and transmission - it was a very sweet truck - dirt simple, classic looks, and real brakes.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Stupid question: why is it so much cheaper for a Series, than a Defender? The Defenders are newer, in production more recently (no?)... wouldn't there be greater availability of parts for a D?

I figured a Series (yes, noob here) would be incredibly difficult to source parts for.
I don't know, but maybe:
- EFI (and associated ECU)
- A/C
- Power steering
- interior trim
- more electrical equipment

I don't think sourcing the parts is the problem, it's more on the how many more parts and how much they would cost at the end.

Edit: Actually, sourcing parts of a Series is not that difficult. Just go to specialty shops. You'll not find them at your local dealership without ordering them.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
would series trucks being so much older set the emissions bar a bit lower for them, therefore allowing easier engine tuning, upgrades etc?? no ECU BS to worry about?
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks, Loic... fewer and simpler parts makes a lot of sense. I just assumed (oops) that the relatively few parts trucks would make the supply smaller...

Is it really true you can build a parts/kit new Series from RN and RDS and supply houses like that? For $30k+/-!? That's pretty neat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions