Defender Big Brake Kits - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Defender Big Brake Kits

So I've taken the LS Conversion plunge thanks to Nick's awesome kit. And now I'll obviously have the potential to out drive my stock braking capacity; so I'm considering upgrading my brakes as well.

But as far as I can tell; the only options available are the Alcon kit made exclusively for Twisted, the Tarox kit sold by TMD Tuning, and the AP Racing kit for JE Engineering (currently front brakes only). And all of these kits are north of $6K.

But I've also found a fairly new company Ceika, that can provide 345mm X 32mm disk, 6-pot front and 4-pot rear kit for about half that cost. Apparently this company has gained quite a following on the race track, but I haven't heard anything from this community. And granted $3K is still well north of the $1.2K for a completely new upgraded OEM kit, but it's a lot better than the above options anyway.

Does anyone know any other Defender Big Brake options? Any US made options? Does anyone have any experience with Ceika Big Brake Kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2016, 10:09 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven81 View Post
So I've taken the LS Conversion plunge thanks to Nick's awesome kit. And now I'll obviously have the potential to out drive my stock braking capacity; so I'm considering upgrading my brakes as well.

But as far as I can tell; the only options available are the Alcon kit made exclusively for Twisted, the Tarox kit sold by TMD Tuning, and the AP Racing kit for JE Engineering (currently front brakes only). And all of these kits are north of $6K.

But I've also found a fairly new company Ceika, that can provide 345mm X 32mm disk, 6-pot front and 4-pot rear kit for about half that cost. Apparently this company has gained quite a following on the race track, but I haven't heard anything from this community. And granted $3K is still well north of the $1.2K for a completely new upgraded OEM kit, but it's a lot better than the above options anyway.

Does anyone know any other Defender Big Brake options? Any US made options? Does anyone have any experience with Ceika Big Brake Kits?
While it would take some fabrication of mounting brackets and rotors, the Brembo Lancer Evo calipers can usually be had used for around $400-$600 a set F&R. That is assuming the brake master can support this as well.
Old September 21st, 2016, 10:21 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The armoured 110s have bigger front brakes and calipers. That being said, a good condition stock set up on a NAS truck will lock the tires if you jam on it so not sure an upgrade is needed.
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2016, 10:25 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Yes, that's certainly an option. But any of the big brake manufacturers can make a kit for any vehicle and various wheel sizes. The only variables being the disk hat and the mounting brackets. But unfortunately, I guess they aren't seeing enough demand to do it. Maybe if enough folks expressed interest on boards like this one, more might.

I'm also curious if enough folks might be interested in a group buy with Ceika; we might even get a much better deal. But just spit balling at this point.
Old September 21st, 2016, 10:29 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Brembo rotors and EBC green pads worked very well for me
Old September 21st, 2016, 10:31 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

And that's always a good question, do you really need them? But I do know all the folks in the UK doing the conversions, Twisted, the JE Zulu, etc... are installing them. And JE is only doing the front with AP's and I think OEM on the rear. But then to me, that probably looks a little funny. But anyway, regardless of your power plant, it's really all about how fast are you moving, how heavy is your vehicle (mass), and haw fast do you need to stop (with a non-ABS system). So if you don't drive fast, you for sure don't need more brakes.

------ Follow up post added September 21st, 2016 07:36 PM ------

TJFSlaughter...so Brembo makes the rotors, and the calipers, why don't they make a kit (mounting brackets)? The make them for the Range Rover but not the Defender. Feeling no love...Ha!
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:03 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven81 View Post

------ Follow up post added September 21st, 2016 07:36 PM ------

TJFSlaughter...so Brembo makes the rotors, and the calipers, why don't they make a kit (mounting brackets)? The make them for the Range Rover but not the Defender. Feeling no love...Ha!
I can tell you I was very happy with the stopping ability of the truck. I do not think they were Brembo Calipers. Lockheed comes to mind.
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:22 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The armoured 110s have bigger front brakes and calipers.
Really? Do you have some data on that?

The stock brakes are quite large. If you wanted something bigger, it would require larger rims. I suspect that stops anyone from wanting to put together a brake upgrade kit.

Things to check:
- Make sure you have good pads.
- Make sure all pistons are free. It is common for some to seize and you do not know.
- Make sure you have the larger diameter piston calipers. 46mm, not the smaller 41mm.
- Make sure your booster is working.... You can switch to a Disco double diaphragm booster to get a bit more boost.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:25 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Forbyn Bros. makes a big brake kit for Series vehicles which I think may work on a Defender since that's the calipers and rotors you use on their standard setup.
Call Greg at 530-626-7360 because it isn't listed on their site.
www.forbynbros.com
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:29 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Really? Do you have some data on that?
Salisbury front axle with vented discs - brakes are huge. Like 1 ton pickup. Also impossible to find replacement parts.
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Salisbury front axle with vented discs - brakes are huge. Like 1 ton pickup. Also impossible to find replacement parts.
Slade had them on his truck.
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:41 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Dont look now, we might have taught Red90 something. Not that he'd ever admit it
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Slade had them on his truck.
I'm asking for actual information.... I would like to see. There is no room for any larger rotors in the 16" rims, so I can't imagine how they would be much different.

Old September 21st, 2016, 12:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
Forbyn Bros. makes a big brake kit for Series vehicles which I think may work on a Defender since that's the calipers and rotors you use on their standard setup.
Call Greg at 530-626-7360 because it isn't listed on their site.
www.forbynbros.com
My understanding is their kit lets you use stock Defender brakes.

Old September 21st, 2016, 01:02 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I'm asking for actual information.... I would like to see.
More info here.
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:15 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yes, thanks, I did not know you could do that. I looked a bit earlier and all I see is they are the same size. I'm just looking for the specs (rotor size, pad size, piston size) to see what can fit. All I get is that they use a wider rotor of the same size. The problem is people see something and start throwing around the words "huge" without looking at the technical facts. With facts in hand real comparisons could be made.

Old September 21st, 2016, 01:20 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

No one seems to have the specs or even part numbers. But they do exist - clear as day in photos (almost twice the thickness or a standard vented rotor it appears). Pretty *huge* difference!
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
No one seems to have the specs or even part numbers. But they do exist - clear as day in photos (almost twice the thickness or a standard vented rotor it appears). Pretty *huge* difference!
I did not say they don't exist. I was saying that I did not know that and was simply asking for information.

A thicker rotor does not provide any improvement in braking performance, other than possibly increasing fade resistance. I'm not sure anyone has problems with fade. A thicker rotor is not a "bigger" brake. To be bigger, the swept area must increase, or the pad size, or the piston area.

Old September 21st, 2016, 01:42 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

What's the swept area of a standard 90 front caliper?
Old September 21st, 2016, 01:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Pic from slade in this thread. And yes, I don't forget anything rover related even from 13 years ago. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-...ge=1&_k=oixs23 [SIZE=1]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, defender, kit