Defender Source Forum banner

Defender Big Brake Kits

41K views 79 replies 29 participants last post by  dolebomo 
#1 ·
So I've taken the LS Conversion plunge thanks to Nick's awesome kit. And now I'll obviously have the potential to out drive my stock braking capacity; so I'm considering upgrading my brakes as well.

But as far as I can tell; the only options available are the Alcon kit made exclusively for Twisted, the Tarox kit sold by TMD Tuning, and the AP Racing kit for JE Engineering (currently front brakes only). And all of these kits are north of $6K.

But I've also found a fairly new company Ceika, that can provide 345mm X 32mm disk, 6-pot front and 4-pot rear kit for about half that cost. Apparently this company has gained quite a following on the race track, but I haven't heard anything from this community. And granted $3K is still well north of the $1.2K for a completely new upgraded OEM kit, but it's a lot better than the above options anyway.

Does anyone know any other Defender Big Brake options? Any US made options? Does anyone have any experience with Ceika Big Brake Kits?

#8 ·
The armoured 110s have bigger front brakes and calipers.
Really? Do you have some data on that?

The stock brakes are quite large. If you wanted something bigger, it would require larger rims. I suspect that stops anyone from wanting to put together a brake upgrade kit.

Things to check:
- Make sure you have good pads.
- Make sure all pistons are free. It is common for some to seize and you do not know.
- Make sure you have the larger diameter piston calipers. 46mm, not the smaller 41mm.
- Make sure your booster is working.... You can switch to a Disco double diaphragm booster to get a bit more boost.

#4 ·
Yes, that's certainly an option. But any of the big brake manufacturers can make a kit for any vehicle and various wheel sizes. The only variables being the disk hat and the mounting brackets. But unfortunately, I guess they aren't seeing enough demand to do it. Maybe if enough folks expressed interest on boards like this one, more might.

I'm also curious if enough folks might be interested in a group buy with Ceika; we might even get a much better deal. But just spit balling at this point.

#6 ·
And that's always a good question, do you really need them? But I do know all the folks in the UK doing the conversions, Twisted, the JE Zulu, etc... are installing them. And JE is only doing the front with AP's and I think OEM on the rear. But then to me, that probably looks a little funny. But anyway, regardless of your power plant, it's really all about how fast are you moving, how heavy is your vehicle (mass), and haw fast do you need to stop (with a non-ABS system). So if you don't drive fast, you for sure don't need more brakes.

------ Follow up post added September 21st, 2016 07:36 PM ------

TJFSlaughter...so Brembo makes the rotors, and the calipers, why don't they make a kit (mounting brackets)? The make them for the Range Rover but not the Defender. Feeling no love...Ha!

#7 ·
------ Follow up post added September 21st, 2016 07:36 PM ------

TJFSlaughter...so Brembo makes the rotors, and the calipers, why don't they make a kit (mounting brackets)? The make them for the Range Rover but not the Defender. Feeling no love...Ha!
I can tell you I was very happy with the stopping ability of the truck. I do not think they were Brembo Calipers. Lockheed comes to mind.

#9 ·
Forbyn Bros. makes a big brake kit for Series vehicles which I think may work on a Defender since that's the calipers and rotors you use on their standard setup.
Call Greg at 530-626-7360 because it isn't listed on their site.
www.forbynbros.com

#18 ·
I did not say they don't exist. I was saying that I did not know that and was simply asking for information.

A thicker rotor does not provide any improvement in braking performance, other than possibly increasing fade resistance. I'm not sure anyone has problems with fade. A thicker rotor is not a "bigger" brake. To be bigger, the swept area must increase, or the pad size, or the piston area.

#23 ·
Pic from slade in this thread. And yes, I don't forget anything rover related even from 13 years ago. Salisbury axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Sounds like, on the face of it, that everything is the same other than a wider rotor.

Serious One said:
discs and calipers from axle pictured above (Salisbury coil-sprung axle).

I happen to have these same calipers on my CrewCab, but we narrowed the spacer to accomodate the standard Range Rover vented rotors. The Salisbury rotors are VERY VERY hard to find, and are only available new. To purchase ONE rotor you are looking at about $650US. :eek:

#21 ·
#25 ·
That is a big question. For vehicles of the era, I'm sure it is as good or better. These days everything has huge brakes and that is why they need huge rims. If you want huge brakes and rims, there are kits out there, as mentioned in the first post. If you want to stick with 16" rims, there is really no more room.

#26 ·
I've got 18" wheels and an LS. I will be doing a big brake kit before too long at least on the fronts. My plan was the Tarox from TMDTuning unless a better option comes up. I'd be up for trying the Ceika. I get that the stock brakes or stock brakes with different rotors and pads are good enough but these LS motors are way more power. I cruise at 80 instead of 70 now and I can still downshift and have plenty of additional passing power. I want a serious brake upgrade. For what it's worth I've bought some stuff from TMDTuning and have never had a problem. Matter of fact they just sent me the kit to convert the Recaro Cross Sportster seats to a tip up base.

#29 ·
While doing a little poking around on the subject last week I found that Red Winches makes a cheap relocation bracket that allows you to run a front 4 piston caliper on the rear axle. It might be a nice little upgrade on the cheap that still lets you run a 16" wheel. I was going to give them a try on one of the projects I have in.

-Ash

#31 ·
I read somewhere on LRO magazine of a group in the uk whom had developed a kit to install front 4 piston calipers on the rear axle, to include vented front rotor set up on the rear. this allowed for 4 wheel vented rotors and 4 wheel 4 piston calipers.
I think if you added hydro boost to this equation you will have one sure stopping rover.

#36 ·
The rears suck ass. The pad design is terrible and they do very little. Throw some 4 piston calipers with pinned pads back there and an adjustable proportioning valve and you'd be in business.
Not sure larger brakes are really needed with the LS conversion though. Your brakes don't care if you're doing 60 with a RV8 or an LS.

#37 ·
Forbyn brothers do something. Aluminum hub. Willwood brake components. Seems like collaboration between Forbyn and Timm Cooper. Overall likely to be well thought out. Unknown price. 13" rotors. Pictures clearer on a coiler (not leafer) axle.

https://www.facebook.com/forbynbrosllc/?fref=ts

Forbyn Bros. LLC.
Go to forbynbros@gmail.com to order or call 530-626-7360

Mail to:
Forbyn Bros. LLC.
6375 Bellanca Lane
Placerville Ca. 95667

I haven't talked to them, just always curious to see what Timm is up to.

Attachments

#38 ·
I was going to recommend wilwood components for anyone taking this on as a fabrication project. They have so many size options for rotors, hats, calipers, master cylinders, pedal boxes, that you can just about source everything minus caliper brackets from them.

#41 ·
Red90... Thanks for all the information as well, and I was originally going to stick with the stock set-up. I've already picked up a new brake pipe kit, 4 new Lockheed Calipers, Terrafirma Disks, and Ferodo pads from Erik @ Lucky8.

But just ordered 18" Twisted wheels, so just looking to see what other options are out there besides the usual suspects across the pond.

And then happened to bump into this new company Ceika, so just looking to see if anyones heard of them as well?

Can you tell me what year Disco booster will work best in a D90? Or better yet the part# if you have it.

#42 ·
LuisC...I don't disagree with your opinion at all, point taken. But no one needs a Defender either for that matter. I have an F250 SD that get's me where I want to go just fine. But I have a D90 because I want one. And I'm dropping a Gen IV L94, GM 5-Speed, upgraded transfer case and axles in it because I can, thanks to Nick, and because I want to. And I'm going to run 18" Twisted wheels and 285/65R18 BFG KO2s because I want to, not because I need to. So just asking what BBK options are out there? Not necessarily because I need them. And besides, I may need them if you're chasing me in your RR...Ha!

#43 ·
Red90...I just looked into the Disco booster option and it looks like you have to drill two additional mounting holes in the bulkhead (D90 uses 2 vs 4) and you either have to t-off the 4 ports or do custom pipes (one for each caliper) to make it work. So I think I'll stick with just replacing my stock MC and Booster (STC441/442).

#44 ·
Abraded...Thanks again for the recommendation of Forbyn Bros. Greg is building a complete Wilwood big brake kit for me: 6-Pot 14" front and 4-Pot 13" rear, and he's doing it for considerably less than any of the Defender BBKs from across the pond. He's going to fit check everything with one of my Twisted 18" wheels so it should be a pretty sweet set-up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.