Defender Big Brake Kits - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 21st, 2016, 11:54 PM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Red90... Thanks for all the information as well, and I was originally going to stick with the stock set-up. I've already picked up a new brake pipe kit, 4 new Lockheed Calipers, Terrafirma Disks, and Ferodo pads from Erik @ Lucky8.

But just ordered 18" Twisted wheels, so just looking to see what other options are out there besides the usual suspects across the pond.

And then happened to bump into this new company Ceika, so just looking to see if anyones heard of them as well?

Can you tell me what year Disco booster will work best in a D90? Or better yet the part# if you have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:14 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

LuisC...I don't disagree with your opinion at all, point taken. But no one needs a Defender either for that matter. I have an F250 SD that get's me where I want to go just fine. But I have a D90 because I want one. And I'm dropping a Gen IV L94, GM 5-Speed, upgraded transfer case and axles in it because I can, thanks to Nick, and because I want to. And I'm going to run 18" Twisted wheels and 285/65R18 BFG KO2s because I want to, not because I need to. So just asking what BBK options are out there? Not necessarily because I need them. And besides, I may need them if you're chasing me in your RR...Ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:52 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Red90...I just looked into the Disco booster option and it looks like you have to drill two additional mounting holes in the bulkhead (D90 uses 2 vs 4) and you either have to t-off the 4 ports or do custom pipes (one for each caliper) to make it work. So I think I'll stick with just replacing my stock MC and Booster (STC441/442).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Abraded...Thanks again for the recommendation of Forbyn Bros. Greg is building a complete Wilwood big brake kit for me: 6-Pot 14" front and 4-Pot 13" rear, and he's doing it for considerably less than any of the Defender BBKs from across the pond. He's going to fit check everything with one of my Twisted 18" wheels so it should be a pretty sweet set-up.
Old September 24th, 2016, 07:03 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Raven I'm all over this. Please send pics and give impressions when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:05 PM
morcutt
Michael Orcutt
Non

Any updates on the Forbyn kit?
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:28 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Based on the build description of this truck, clearly the OP doesn't care about keeping anything Land Rover or having the Defender be close to original so why bother with custom making a brake kit to fit this use case? It would probably be cheaper and much easier to just get a crate Dana 44 under the front with bolt on big brakes and be done. Wilwood alone makes about 20 kits for this application.
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:04 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Random question, does stoptech have replacement discs for the defender 90?

------ Follow up post added December 8th, 2016 02:13 PM ------

Celia has been around for a while, more "tuner" cool, than race proven. I would stay with stoptech, Alcon, brembo, performance friction (PFC)as suppliers - all are race proven companies. One of the things I did in Porsche private projects was brakes. The defender 16" wheel can fit a 304mm disc depending on the caliper design. The weak point in the system is the vacuum assist mechanism. Imho

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 8th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Morcutt...Sorry about the delay updating. I just got back overseas and about over the jet lag! On the day before I left ABQ; the new brake kit showed up at the shop and Rob at SWR and I unpacked everything like it was Christmas early.

All I can say is the kit looks nothing short of awesome! Obviously, the kit hasn't been fitted yet, so standby for feedback and pics on the installation.

I also dropped off the axles tubes for sand blasting and powder coating that same day; so I don't think it will be long before Rob begins building up the axles to get them and the rest of the drivetrain on the new galvanized chassis. I sent Greg Forbyn one of my 18" Twisted wheels for fitting; so I don't anticipate any issues whatsoever with the installation.

And BTW Greg was a pleasure to work with and I would recommend him any day of the week.

As far as all the kits mentioned above...Alcon (Twisted), Celia, etc...; I looked at them all and yes, there are great kits fitted for the Defenders across the pond. But if you want a US made BBK; as far as I know anyway, this is your only option. And with the significant savings in comparison to the above mentioned kits, it was the only option for me!
Old December 9th, 2016, 12:12 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

I ordered a set as well. Ash is doing the install. He's fairly close to being done. I will see the truck on Friday the 16th and will take some pics and post on my impressions of the kit. Ash is also using the Wilwood master cylinder with a custom proportioning knob. I have high hopes.

------ Follow up post added December 9th, 2016 12:21 AM ------

I've got the Kahn 18" wheels and can confirm the brakes fit with that particular wheel as well.
Old December 9th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

1844....Awesome! Yes, please post some pics and what you think of the kit. I'm also very interested in the master cylinder set up. I was planning on using new TRW master cylinder and booster (OEM); buy if Ash has a better set-up, please let me know the details/part#s. I haven't ordered the new TRW parts yet, as my bulkhead is currently getting new YRM floor boards, so it won't even go to paint for awhile yet.
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Here's some pics of the front and rear Wilwood BBK installed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilwood BBK_Front (V1).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	184657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilwood BBK_Rear (V1).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	184665  

Old December 29th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Defender1844...did you get your truck back yet? How do you like your new brakes? Can you rovide any more information on the master cylinder set-up you went with?
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:12 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Todd,

I didn't get a chance to fly out to Orlando 2 weeks ago. Ash said the truck stops really well now and I will be really pleased. He did go with a new master cylinder setup. He's in the mountains. Hopefully he sees this when he gets back. There were custom brackets and brake line adapter fittings required to get this to work.

My truck will be with him for a little bit longer. Getting Nick's V2 harness + body control module with cruise, paddle shifters, tow mode installed.

Mit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	willwoodmaster.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	184705  
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Thanks! That master cylinder looks good and very interested in the details of the set-up. It does look like he used the OEM vacuum booster, so curious what hydraulic advantage was gained with the Wilwood vs the OEM TRW MC and why he thought the proportioning valve was required?

I just saw on Nick's GM Gen IV thread that someone posted a hydraulic boost option for Defender's too, so planning on looking into that option as well.
Old December 29th, 2016, 04:40 AM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

Very nice. Is that a Lucky8 built diff installed there?
Old December 29th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Yes, Lucky8 Detroit TrueTrac 4.12, Tibus Axles & CVs. I had Ashcroft Locker diffs and axles in my D90 here in the desert, and I really liked them. And the big compressor was handy for airing the tires up and down, but I wanted to skip the air this time and try the TrueTracs. I'm not sure how I feel about the red paint...Ha! But apparently they're doing all of them in red seeing that you recognized them.
Old December 29th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Yes...all red. My rear diff is green from GBR and front is red from Lucky8
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven81 View Post
Thanks! That master cylinder looks good and very interested in the details of the set-up. It does look like he used the OEM vacuum booster, so curious what hydraulic advantage was gained with the Wilwood vs the OEM TRW MC and why he thought the proportioning valve was required?

I just saw on Nick's GM Gen IV thread that someone posted a hydraulic boost option for Defender's too, so planning on looking into that option as well.
Nick's been working on Hydroboost and should have something to market very soon, but on Amit's truck I liked the simplicity of keeping the vacuum assist and not having to replace the power steering pump and plumb in another system.

I initially ran the Wilwoods with both the factory master cylinder and proportioning valve and the brakes were a marginal improvement. Maybe 15 percent better, but with a wooden feel in the pedal and no real 'bite'.

Based on pedal feel and the way the truck was stopping it was pretty obvious the MC wasn't pushing enough fluid to effectively clamp such an increase in surface area, so the Wilwood MC was the natural choice. I spent a good bit of time on the phone with one of the techs at Wilwood and after calculating piston surface area we initially decided on the 1.125" master, but because the LS was producing *just* outside of their recommended amount of vacuum at idle, I decided to err on the side of caution and went with the 1.00" master instead. The throw ratio of the Rover pedal box is 5.1:1 which isn't completely optimal in Wilwoods eyes (they want 6:1) but with a 1.00" throw on the MC I find the pedal travel to be just right.

In regards to the proportioning valve, I have always had poor experiences with the Rover prop valve (like being able to spin a tire by hand while standing on the pedal) and didn't want it to be the bottleneck in the system, so with a few inline fittings I cut it out of the system and used the optional Wilwood valve instead. The adjustability of the Wilwood valve was huge since the truck was locking the rear brakes well before the fronts, so I was able to dial that out.

Fitment was relatively straight forward, all things considered. I designed an adapter bracket that bolted on the Rover booster and changed the mounting pattern for the Wilwood MC. Since the adapter pushed the MC off the booster, the pushrod needed to be extended. Fortunately there's a fitting that threads into the end of the pushrod that is captured inside the Rover booster, so I just removed that and recreated it in a longer version on the lathe to take up the distance.

From there it was just a function of plumbing it. The fittings on the new proportioning valve are 3/8-24 double inverted, so I just made some simple little adapters that the factory lines across the bulkhead could thread right into. The only line that actually needed to be modified was the front left circuit that drops right off the MC, and it just needed to be slightly shortened and the fitting changed.

So now that it's all done, the brakes are a huge improvement over stock. Pedal feel is great and they aren't touchy unless you really get into them, then they slow the truck down very quickly. I'm quite satisfied with the end result.

Let me know if you have questions or if there's anything I can help you out with on the conversion. Your truck looks like it's going to be insane, by the way! I'd love to see more pictures.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 30th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Raven81
Todd
1997 NAS D90

Thanks for the detailed information on your Wilwood set-up! That's exactly what I was looking for. According to Nick on his Gen IV thread; the only real advantage to the hydraulic boost is at idle/low RPM. I guess this is a big advantage for rock crawling, so not sure it would be worth it in my truck. But I'm all about getting the most out of the Wilwood BBK by replacing the MC and proportioning valve.

That being said; can you pass the Wilwood MC and proportioning valve P/Ns? I looked on their site and the 1" MC looked like it didn't have the push rod, so it was a little confusing.

Also, I'm not sure which LS you're working with so wondering is there any chance my L94 might be different as far as vacuum output that would make the 1.25" MC an option in my application?

Last, any chance you might be able to re-produce another adapter plate and pushrod extension?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, defender, kit