Defender and Disco fuel pump compatibility - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Defender and Disco fuel pump compatibility

Hey guys!
Not sure if this was covered or not yet.... I was just talking with Trevor at Rovah Farm about fuel pumps. I was wondering if any of the diesel senders he had would fit the NAS tank, but sounds like their seats are much smaller.

We did start to talk about the defender in tank pump itself, ESR3928. And that got us talking and we found that the ESR3926 uses the same ring and seal. They seem to be total length nearly the same. The only difference might be the sender.

Anyways he was saying if anyone wants to give it a go and see what it would take to use the disco pump he would give it to someone at a real good price if someone would eb willing to test it out for the forum. Might be a good option for people to go with in the future. List price of the pump was a little over $100 compared to $300 for the defender.

Thought I would pass that along. If you call Trevor mention that you want to do the test for the special pricing.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Rowdy90
Chad yates
97 D90

Fuel pump compatibility

Hey Pete, have you heard anything else about if the disco fuel pump will work in a defender?
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Hi Chad,
To my knowledge nobody has tried it. Maybe give Trevor a call and see what he says. You might get to be the Guinea pig?
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2012, 04:10 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I know for a fact that the Td5 in tank pump, on a defender 90 and 110 (different size tanks) and discovery are the same, apart from the float arm (which just un clips, so you can swap them over)

And the book price (here in the UK) for a disco Td5 pump is about £100 UKP cheaper than a defender one. I picked up a used disco pump, took the one out of my 90, swapped the arm over (took about 30 seconds) and job done!

So, i'd imagine, knowing LR's parts structure, that the V8 pumps are very similar. the difference in the part numbers is more than likely just the float arm.
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm pretty sure the two are not compatible.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Rowdy90
Chad yates
97 D90

Thanks guys! Pete, I did find a part that is just the pump that should work and you can buy it at your local autoparts store. It GM/ airtech E3240. It's only $65. I'm gonna give it a shot and I will post results. Hoping it works, seen a lot of people in distress over pump situations. Would be a nice fix if it can save around $300.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Rowdy90
Chad yates
97 D90

Ok.... Got it back together and it seems to be working great! So anyone that has a fuel pump go belly up you can save $300 buy The GM part E3240 at autozone for about $70 and just replace it in the existing assembly. Only 2 small differences that I saw that dont seem to matter. The new pumps fuel outlet is smooth(the one I pulled off had teeth to grip the hose) so I just used a small hose clamp and it worked just fine. The other difference was just the housing around the plug. It had no affect, it plugged right up and runs like a top! Thanks to all for help and advice! I am brand new here, and I love this forum! Lots of great, really nice people! Hope this helps someone!

Chad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, disco, fuel