Defender Source Forum banner

Defender 90 help

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BarryO 
#1 ·
Dear Defender 90 Owners:

I am new to the D-90 Source and have a few questions regarding the Defender 90. I am interested in purchasing a D90 but I am running short on resources to learn about their maintenance costs, reliability, and longevity. I have had a history of owning off road vehicles and my latest was a CJ7. I really loved the Jeep but have always been interested in the D90. The big draw back about the Jeep is the constant maintenance and sometimes lack of reliability. I would like to learn about your experiences with the D90. Any help that you can provide in teaching me more about the Defender's maintenance costs, reliability, and longevity would be appreciated. One last thing, should I be concerned that Land Rover stopped importing the Defender to the US in '97?

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Todd

#3 ·
Todd said:
Dear Defender 90 Owners:

I am new to the D-90 Source and have a few questions regarding the Defender 90. I am interested in purchasing a D90 but I am running short on resources to learn about their maintenance costs, reliability, and longevity. I have had a history of owning off road vehicles and my latest was a CJ7. I really loved the Jeep but have always been interested in the D90. The big draw back about the Jeep is the constant maintenance and sometimes lack of reliability. I would like to learn about your experiences with the D90. Any help that you can provide in teaching me more about the Defender's maintenance costs, reliability, and longevity would be appreciated. One last thing, should I be concerned that Land Rover stopped importing the Defender to the US in '97?

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Todd
Personally, I think your nuts for wanting to buy a defender. My new-to-me '94 D90 which is parked over more oil stains than my CJ-7 made in 2.5 years has so far been even less reliable than my CJ-7, despite costing ***very much more*** and proving that maintenace costs are also very much higher .

That said, someone just drove my CJ-7 off for a test drive (it's for sale)

Although I'll miss the Jeep (i'd keep her if I had the space), I couldn't be happier :)

Any questions? Don't expect a more reliable vehicle, but it will last a long time if you take care of it, and it should maintain its value better. But you shouldn't be buying one for any of these reasons imo.

charles

#4 ·
Todd said:
Dear Defender 90 Owners:

The big draw back about the Jeep is the constant maintenance and sometimes lack of reliability. I would like to learn about your experiences with the D90.

Todd

Well, if that's your biggest concern then a D90 is not for you. Sounds like either you don't like doing the constant maintenace or you can't afford to pay someone to do it. Although I've had no major problems with mine it does require maintenance. That's why it has been major-problem free!

#5 ·
Arthur:

Thank you for your honesty. My main concern isn't cost (although aways a factor), its reliability. As for maintaining the D90 myself...fortunately I earn enough to just take it in. When I was in grad school I had to fix my own jeep, so I am not opposed to reaching under the hood from time-to-time. I guess I have been a little spoiled the last few years with my acura. How long have you had your D90?

#6 ·
I've had mine for a year and a half and the worst problem has been removing the heater blower to dry it out. Have had several glitches but nothing serious. Still need to troubleshoot some wiring (rear defroster and wiper), reseal the windshield/roof area but waited a year so what's one more?

If you have a second vehicle to get you by it's better. If you're counting on this being your only vehicle to depend on then I would be wary. If you're planning on modifying it for trail use then expect it to be more problematic.

#7 ·
I've only had mine a month and have had several "issues". It has some leaks that need fixing, a stall/low power problem which may have just been bad gas, it overheated while driving on the beach, and I blew a radiator hose the other day (not heat related - looks like it had a nick in it). But reliability will be a factor of condition - mine isn't in the best. The better the condition the more it will cost you up front of course :)

I have hondas and love them - cheap and reliable, low maintenance costs, and I wouldn't hesitate getting in them and driving across country without openeing the hood first.

But not as fun as a defender... And I enjoy working on it, so I'll take long trips with proper perparation, and risk the chance of breaking down. I do the work on it myself for fun (although I'm a cheap bastard as well).

charles

#8 ·
Bottom line, the most reliable cars, in general, are new ones. the youngest D90 you're going to find is a '97 (the U.S. started requiring air bags in all sub-8500 lb. GVWR vehicles starting in the 1998 MY, and for the small volumes of D90's sold in the U.S. a redesign wasn't worth it). All vehicles require maintenance, and any 7-11 yr. old vehicle is going to have things break on it every so often. If you get them fixed at a dealer, you're going to pay typical European car-dealer service prices.

I've had my '97 since it was new, and I don't think it has had an unusual amount of things go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.