Defender 90 full Exo Cage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Defender 90 full Exo Cage

In the current issue of Land Rover Monthly, they show a white 90 with a full white (think NAS 110) exo-cage.

The truck is not my cup o tea with the full white truck, white exo and white ARB bumper, but it is featured in an ad by Trek Overland.

The full Exo Cage is pretty cool in my opinion. I can see adding a 97 white NAS 90 with a full white exo cage to sister the 110.

Have you guys seen this ... thoughts?

Dendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

There was too much white on that truck. It needed to have an accent color IMO.

The external cage is cool though. I have one going on my new 90SW and we stock them from SD.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

pictures????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2009, 06:21 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I can't find the white on white, but I did find the black cage on white truck at
www.ppcages.com

here tis:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg.jpeg
Views:	1437
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	20657  
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

too ugly
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The black looks fine, its just that Protection and Performance cages look like ass. They need someone on staff with a better eye for design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

It does look off from the traditional SD ones

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Yeah, I should point out that the one in the trek overland ad is NOT the one that I posted above.
The one in the ad looked way more NAS ... if you will.

It was just the only one online that I could find that demonstrated a full exo-cage on a 90.

I do like the look of the exo on the 90 however. It represents to me that safest option for roll-over when tied with the inner hoop.

Just sayin'

D

ps: Trek Overland's site says that they will be updating the site soon
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
There was too much white on that truck. It needed to have an accent color IMO.

The external cage is cool though. I have one going on my new 90SW and we stock them from SD.
Agreed. white on white has no contrast.... White NAS S/W are my favorite with the black cage, bumpers, ext... A black exo cage is cool though.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:08 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
That white on white was nasty, i saw nearly nothing of a different color even the mirrors were white,
Exocage is cool, they should make it like a mini NAS 110 (with the basket)
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The black looks fine, its just that Protection and Performance cages look like ass. They need someone on staff with a better eye for design.
I've got a PP full external on my 110, and it's as near as dammit the same as a safety devices one.

IMO it's a good design, doesn't stick out too far from the bodywork and well made, and certainly has better coating than the SD ones, which peels off whilst it's wrapped up in the bubble wrap!

and PP are much better than SD at customer communications.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
I've got a PP full external on my 110, and it's as near as dammit the same as a safety devices one.

IMO it's a good design, doesn't stick out too far from the bodywork and well made, and certainly has better coating than the SD ones, which peels off whilst it's wrapped up in the bubble wrap!

and PP are much better than SD at customer communications.
It looks better on the 110 for sure - I think the problem is that the 90 one looks like extra parts grafted onto a NAS 90 front cage - the P&P arrangement actually looks pretty decent on the 110 double cabs. And you're right, SD loses points for going bankrupt, having unreliable product availability, etc.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I like the SD full exo cage on my d90. Looks a little tighter/neater than the one above
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc02322a.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	20686  

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/na...8/DSC_0280.JPG
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
It looks better on the 110 for sure - I think the problem is that the 90 one looks like extra parts grafted onto a NAS 90 front cage - the P&P arrangement actually looks pretty decent on the 110 double cabs. And you're right, SD loses points for going bankrupt, having unreliable product availability, etc.
Just to clarify:
SD never went under. They moved the company production from the UK to Poland for cost reasons and that took forever, but they never closed or went bankrupt. Yes, getting product was impossible during that long transition period.
Current SD powder coat is top notch. It is the same as we use on our restorations. Cages are blasted to white metal, then zinc underlayer applied, then top coated in powder coat.
I've called SD during their business hours dozens of times and always reached a human who was able to assist me, or get right back to me. Emails are returned in a couple of days tops.
For a UK company they are easy to reach. Most of our other suppliers you are lucky if they ever call you back.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

That truck is 'what' I'm talk'n 'bout!
SCHWEET!

D
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Exo w/ CT bar, very well done!!
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
For a UK company they are easy to reach. Most of our other suppliers you are lucky if they ever call you back.
They really lost face over here during that period. and a lot of people (myself included) who had their kit were woefully un-impressed with their coatings and attutude when you (dared) to raise the issue with them.

not sure if they're still suppling LR direct, but P&P have done a few factory jobs now. and i suppose, it helps that they're in the UK.
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim
They really lost face over here during that period. and a lot of people (myself included) who had their kit were woefully un-impressed with their coatings and attutude when you (dared) to raise the issue with them.

not sure if they're still suppling LR direct, but P&P have done a few factory jobs now. and i suppose, it helps that they're in the UK.

Yes, they still supply LR direct.

I agree with you, but a lot of companies go through rough times, especially when they get bigger and especially when the company leader DIES! I think the best thing they did was take production out of the UK. IMO everything is better now and I think it is because the folks doing it now care (like folks from small companies do). The management is new, but the old staff who did the designs and such are still involved. If they lost customers due to their move then that is understandable, but I can say that out of the UK companies I deal with they are striving to make better products and be a better company, not just sitting around with typical crap UK customer lack of service. They have taken all the advice I have given them and in most cases acted on it. That includes designs, coating quality, packing quality, etc etc.

Its a lot like Safari Gard over here. The only way they can win back customers will be to be better than the original and in both cases of SG and SD only time will tell.

Old July 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
especially when the company leader DIES!
Yeah, that was quite sad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, cage, defender 90