Defender Source Forum banner

Defender 200tdi wastegate / boost tee location

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Red90 
#1 ·
I have searched and can not find a picture or good description of where to drill / tap and tee for a boost gauge / waste gate on a Defender 200tdi motor.

From my reading in the 300tdi threads it looks like the best place to locate the tee is the intake manifold. It looks like most people with 300’s and disco 200’s use the back of the intake manifold but the Defender 200tdi has a different configuration.

The posts I have found have simply said to find a free spot and drill / tap, however my motor is currently sitting on the floor so I do not know exactly where everything will run once installed and do not want to tap / drill just to find out I picked a bad location that interferes with something else.

Hopefully someone can post a pic or location and help with the following questions

1. Where is a good location to install the fitting on the Defender 200?

2. The rear of the intake on the 200tdi Defender intake manifold looks thin to me, is it thick enough to drill and tap to install a tee or do you have to do it in the main part of the intake manifold?

3. Should any type of thread sealer be used in this area to seal the threads?

4. Does it matter if I use a tee with 2 1/8 nipples or just one 1/8 nipple and then tee off the hose later?

See less See more
#2 ·
The only accessible location is on the manifold near the inlet pipe. Around 45 degrees from the top. Put the exhaust manifold and the turbo outlet pie on and find a clear spot between the two. There is lot so fmeat to frill and tap.

#4 ·
I'll try and remember to take a picture tonight of mine. There seems to be more clearance on the front. You could probably do the middle with the engine out. It is pretty busy in that area with it in the truck.

#9 ·
One last question and then I will add the port and post the details.

What about using the black pipe that goes between the intercooler and intake manifold?

Is is directly connected to the intake manifold, I could have a bung welded into the pipe and it looks like an easy location to put the boost / waste gate T.

Would there be much of a diffrence between the reading from the black pipe and the intake?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.