defender 2.5 n/a diesel cuts out like it has water in the fuel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM
wayne sampson
95 defender 110
defender 2.5 n/a diesel cuts out like it has water in the fuel

Hi...what could be causing the problem in my 95 defender 2.5n/a diesel engine?? I drive for awhile, somewhere around 15-20 min and the engine looses power and spits and coughs like it might have water in the fuel, but, I drained the tank and it still acts the same. Some have said it could be air getting in somewhere and doing this. Please, if someone has experienced this and was able to fix it, could you let me know. The defender works well for a time but then does this and the frequency of it happens much more often once it has done it the first time. Very frustrated. I am not a mechanic but am willing to learn .
Thanks for any help in advance.

Old November 8th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
Maybe the fuel pump isn't working well? If you open the bleeder on the injection pump and work the lever on the fuel pump, does any air come out or does fuel come out?

Old November 8th, 2013, 03:22 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Step one, check that the lift pump is working. Disconnect the fuel solenoid wire and the inlet line to the fuel filter. then crank it over and see if you get a good flow of fuel. If that is good check for leaks that could let air in.

Land Rover, turning drivers into mechanics for over 60 years.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Capt Milks
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25
Do you have a sediment bowl filter at the rear? Does it happen when the tank is full or empty or doesn't matter? Do you have the metal tank or the plastic? As advised above I would check that out first. But if you find no problem start checking the other stuff mentioned. I would also make sure your vent line is clear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

defender, diesel, fuel, water