Defender 1997 3.5 V8 Power Increase - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 15th, 2016, 06:30 AM
siwady
Zaid Siwady
2012/110

Defender 1997 3.5 V8 Power Increase

Hello there,

I just bought a 1997 Defender 110 with a 3.5L V8 engine.

The car has a lot of torque but the maximum highway speed it's giving me is 105Km/h.

Any tips on how to give it more power to reach around 140Km/h without an engine swap?

The engine has been recently rebuilt and all the mechanical aspects of the car has been properly restored.

I read somewhere that replacing the camshaft with one from a 3.9L V8 engine could do the trick, any idea if this is enough to get what I want? (of course budget is an issue as I am currently broke :shock: )

I am also looking for ideas on how to somewhat reduce fuel consumption is it is giving me around 3km/L which i think is really bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2016, 06:38 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Lots of variables besides engine- what Tcase ratio, axle ratio (stock??), what size tires, has intake/carb been converted to Edlebrock, etc??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 15th, 2016, 06:40 AM
siwady
Zaid Siwady
2012/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Lots of variables besides engine- what Tcase ratio, axle ratio (stock??), what size tires, has intake/carb been converted to Edlebrock, etc??
As far as I know, everything in the car is stock. No modifications have been done to the car.

Also keep in mind I am not very mechanically inclined so bare with me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2016, 07:24 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

No worries, just realize several factors will affect top speed. Is there a tach? Engine speed at say 100kph, and tire size will help diagnose potential issues/limitations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 15th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Of course we're all assuming the guy that rebuilt it actually knew what he was doing and dialed it in correctly.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 15th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
There are a couple of books on performance upgrades- but my advice is to consider an engine swap- to an LS1 or LS3. The Rover 3.5 is not a powerful, efficient nor reliable engine. Upgrade it.
Old May 15th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If it only does 105, there is something seriously wrong. Top speed should be 140 to 150.

The fuel consumption is very high as well, double normal. You need someone to look at it and see what is wrong. This will not be repaired over the internet.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 15th, 2016, 11:17 AM
siwady
Zaid Siwady
2012/110

Quote:
Quote:
No worries, just realize several factors will affect top speed. Is there a tach? Engine speed at say 100kph, and tire size will help diagnose potential issues/limitations.
Tyres are 235s and I just noticed that when I keep my foot all the way down on the paddle trying to reach a higher speed it reaches 107kmh and the whole car starts juddering.

I just need pointers on what to look for when I take it to the mechanic to make sure he only works on relevant things without charging me extra ... keeping in mind that I am really a newbie when it come to any mechanical topics.

Thanks

------ Follow up post added May 15th, 2016 07:19 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Of course we're all assuming the guy that rebuilt it actually knew what he was doing and dialed it in correctly.

The garage is known to be the Land Rover expert here but as you said ... we never know.

------ Follow up post added May 15th, 2016 07:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
There are a couple of books on performance upgrades- but my advice is to consider an engine swap- to an LS1 or LS3. The Rover 3.5 is not a powerful, efficient nor reliable engine. Upgrade it.

Engine swap is not an option for me as I want to eventually ship it to the states and it is required to be all stock. plus I can't afford it right now.

Looking for the best way to enhance performance with the current engine if possible.

------ Follow up post added May 15th, 2016 07:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If it only does 105, there is something seriously wrong. Top speed should be 140 to 150.

The fuel consumption is very high as well, double normal. You need someone to look at it and see what is wrong. This will not be repaired over the internet.
I am taking it to my mechanic after tomorrow and travelling for a few days, I just need some pointers so he would think that I now what I'm talking about and ensure he doesn's come up with random s#$t and make me pay more than I should

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 97, defender, v8