Defender 110 Suspension Options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: D110 Suspension Options
OME 751-755 with OME Sports 2 25.00%
OME 751-755 with KONI 2 25.00%
OME 751-755 with LUCKY8 1 12.50%
OME 751-755 with Bilstein 4 50.00%
OME 764-755 with OME Sports 1 12.50%
OME 764-755 with KONI 1 12.50%
OME 764-755 with LUCKY8 0 0%
OME 764-755 with Bilstein 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Defender 110 Suspension Options

I thought ( I know I know ...... ) an assortment of suspension options and why, would be nice to have here, WHY? there are so many good options out there, so...

Please post your combo and why ( assume a street vehicle with mild+ events like MAR, Moab - not king of hammers , Uwharrie, etc )

Thanks

Option 1
OME 751 F / 755 R with OME Sports 60037 F / 60039 R

Option 2
OME 751 F / 755 R with KONI Heavy Trax SPX F&R

Option 3
OME 751 F / 755 R with Lucky 8 RR 14"

Option 4
OME 751 F / 755 R with Bilstein 7100 RR 14"

Option 5
OME 764 F / 755 R with OME Sports 60037 F / 60039 R

Option 6
OME 764 F / 755 R with KONI Heavy Trax SPX F&R

Option 7
OME 764 F / 755 R with Lucky 8 RR 14"

Option 8
OME 764 F / 755 R with Bilstein 7100 RR 14"

My Vote goes for the combo of 751/755 Springs , and like all shcoks, although never had the Lucky8 ones

Thanks

Gustavo
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What about genuine HD springs with bilsteins that is how I went
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
option #8 is what you have now. a little stiff with the bilsteins but almost flipped it a few times with softer shocks

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Seems like 14" shocks would be a little on the long side? Curious as to how and why that would work particularly on the front unless a 3-link is being used and shocks being mounted external of the spring.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I just spent the better part of a day fitting two FOX 2.0 emulsions to the front of my 90. They are from an old safari gard setup. They use every bit of available travel. They measure 25" extended and about 16 1/2" compressed, for a total of 8.5" travel. Extended they droop until the radius arm bushing binds. On compression they go until the bumpstop is fully compressed and there is only about 1/2" of chrome showing. The old shocks that were on there (Monroe Wilderness 4x4) were restricting travel by over almost two inches as this is the amount the axle dropped when I removed the lower shock nut.

So yeah, 14 inches is more travel than you can use with stock radius arms. I plan to switch from the poly bushes to stock rubber bushes to see if I can increase the downward travel by a bit.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Ren - Looks like you are running 8.5" shocks on the front, but the factory specs are 22.8 and 14.3 for ext/comp dimensions. Something different? I'm running Fox 2.0s and OMEs on my 110 and really like the set-up. Well built shocks. Mark
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
I looked at factory and aftermarket specs ad nauseum trying to figure out how these could possibly work. Finally a DC pothole blew the top out of one of my shock towers rendering the truck a peril to drive at best. So I took one of the shocks and put it on without the spring. Jacked the axle up with the new bumpstop in place, voila, they fit.

BTW I measured from bushing to bushing to make it as accurate as possible. I'm guessing that once I change the radius arm bushings there will be enough travel to make the spring fall out. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve the same travel but these are the shocks I had, so...

Thinking about this some more, if the top mount remains stock, then the factory 8.5 inch shock will not use all of its travel. At full extension there will still be at least two inches of available axle droop not being utilised.

Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxcart13 View Post
Ren - Looks like you are running 8.5" shocks on the front, but the factory specs are 22.8 and 14.3 for ext/comp dimensions. Something different? I'm running Fox 2.0s and OMEs on my 110 and really like the set-up. Well built shocks. Mark
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
I know... do you know what pressure my 7100 Bilstein have?

What softer shocks were there before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
option #8 is what you have now. a little stiff with the bilsteins but almost flipped it a few times with softer shocks
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Mr. RenChing - I'm running 10" shocks all around right now. For the front with stock D2 mounts, I need about 1.5" of more up-travel and the springs fall out with about 4" at full droop (on a lift). So two options, go with 12" towers or go to the 8.5" shock. To keep things simple, I'm going with the latter and your data supports what I'm finding. Do you know the valving by chance? Thx. Mark
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Mr. RenChing - I'm running 10" shocks all around right now. For the front with stock D2 mounts, I need about 1.5" of more up-travel and the springs fall out with about 4" at full droop (on a lift). So two options, go with 12" towers or go to the 8.5" shock. To keep things simple, I'm going with the latter and your data supports what I'm finding. Do you know the valving by chance? Thx. Mark
Mark

Don't know the valving. When you say you need more up travel, are you hitting the bumpstops? At some point I looked into taller towers and there is not much room before they interfere with the plastic cover in the wheel arch.

Gus

I voted for the 751 fronts, that is what I have and I cannot imagine needing more tire clearance. With your bumper setup you should have plenty of approach angle. OME or Bilstien for the shocks as long as you are using the stock radius arms etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00695-20100314-1626.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	25760  
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

The 10" shocks bottom out ~1.5" before bump stop contact with the stock D2 towers. RTE makes a very nice cone type adjustable tower that would be perfect with the 10" shocks. Like you said the tower covers would no longer fit. Some just stretch bicycle inner tube material as a replacement cover.

As for valving, at the recommendation from Yoda (Keith) mine are 40/80. I'm just curious what others are running and how they like them.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Bilstein and Fox have different ways of expressing there valving that makes it hard to compare.

Dave......I run 14" shocks on the Slut (actually in the proccess of replacing them with Fox 2.5" x 7/8" shaft RR) and it takes allot to get the full range of motion out of them. Modified 3-link, external shock mountings, custom long spline drive shafts.
I will also note that in my experience you need to have more "unused" travel when at bump stop. I shoot for about 1 1/2" If you hit something hard the bump stop will compress enough to damage the shock . Also I'm not sure if you checked that with the other wheel at full droop as this can change things somewhat.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old March 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
thanks Matt,

I think i'm going to leave it as is and bank on the fact that if I hit something that hard while fully articulated, there will be other issues on my plate...

however, it does look like a modified stock tower with the mounting plate moved flush with the top would probably do the trick.

I'm running daystar (i.e. safarigard) poly bumpstops and all the slots are fully compressed with 1/2" of chrome showing (plus the other 1/2" or so that is under the rubber bumper on the end of the shaft). Thos bumpstops are alreadyjust under 2" when fully smooshed so I can't imagine them going another inch. Guess I can always get a proper 3" stop and see how that works. Or the 4" daystar but I don't know what the smooshed height of those is.

test drove it today and it is much nicer than what was on there, especially now that they are all securely attached top and bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Bilstein and Fox have different ways of expressing there valving that makes it hard to compare.

Dave......I run 14" shocks on the Slut (actually in the proccess of replacing them with Fox 2.5" x 7/8" shaft RR) and it takes allot to get the full range of motion out of them. Modified 3-link, external shock mountings, custom long spline drive shafts.
I will also note that in my experience you need to have more "unused" travel when at bump stop. I shoot for about 1 1/2" If you hit something hard the bump stop will compress enough to damage the shock . Also I'm not sure if you checked that with the other wheel at full droop as this can change things somewhat.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

right, I'd guess you'd be fine. I forgot to take into account the bigger the bumpstop the more they compress which I think is the difference in our setups.
I'm working n getting air bumps in the system somewhere but have somewhat limited time to fiddle with the Slut.

Old March 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Dave,

I just ordered 3 degree castor corrected radius arms and rear links from QT ( like I had on the 90 ) through Lucky8.

and have 764 with one inch spacer in the front that I am 86ing ( the spacer ) and will reconsider moving to 751 if I don't feel the love with the changes.

Still wondering what to do with the shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Mark

Don't know the valving. When you say you need more up travel, are you hitting the bumpstops? At some point I looked into taller towers and there is not much room before they interfere with the plastic cover in the wheel arch.

Gus

I voted for the 751 fronts, that is what I have and I cannot imagine needing more tire clearance. With your bumper setup you should have plenty of approach angle. OME or Bilstien for the shocks as long as you are using the stock radius arms etc.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Of course I'm sure I will break these and then think "I shoulda listened to Matt"

...Well, i hope not, anyway. Put one of the rears on today. They are 9.5-10" travel and they do not fit. Ordered some raised shock mounts and cone-age from rovertym.

Air bumps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
right, I'd guess you'd be fine. I forgot to take into account the bigger the bumpstop the more they compress which I think is the difference in our setups.
I'm working n getting air bumps in the system somewhere but have somewhat limited time to fiddle with the Slut.
Gustavo
Why not just keep the shocks that are on there? IIRC it was a good set fresh from Crazy Ray's. You won't need the corrected radius arms with the 751's. Probably not a bad idea with the 764's. Never ran that setup myself but that seems to be a thing that people do.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

http://www.foxracingshox.com/offroad/shocks/bumpstop

Old March 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
I might keep them.. although I need to replace the bushing , front ones are gone, and I will do it as I am replacing the Tower with Equipe Towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Of course I'm sure I will break these and then think "I shoulda listened to Matt"

...Well, i hope not, anyway. Put one of the rears on today. They are 9.5-10" travel and they do not fit. Ordered some raised shock mounts and cone-age from rovertym.

Air bumps?

Gustavo
Why not just keep the shocks that are on there? IIRC it was a good set fresh from Crazy Ray's. You won't need the corrected radius arms with the 751's. Probably not a bad idea with the 764's. Never ran that setup myself but that seems to be a thing that people do.
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
looking at the fox catalog i see what you are talking about now. the ones I have have stud mount each end like the original LR shock and that adds some length.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, defender 110