Defender 110 from Oregon to California? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:38 PM
noeldaniels
Noel Daniels
noe

Smile Defender 110 from Oregon to California?

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forum here and am looking to bring in a legally registered Oregon titled 1989 110 into California. It has a 300tdi swap and passed Oregon emissions just fine a couple months ago, which I read are the same/similar emission standards as California. The VIN has never been swapped, it was imported from England last year and all paperwork was done properly to get the Oregon title. Considering this is now a 25+ year old vehicle and hypothetically should pass CA. emissions, should i have any issue attempting to register this 110 here in CA.? Would love to pick one of these up, but I definitely want to make sure she can be registered here. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:11 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldaniels View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forum here and am looking to bring in a legally registered Oregon titled 1989 110 into California. It has a 300tdi swap and passed Oregon emissions just fine a couple months ago, which I read are the same/similar emission standards as California. The VIN has never been swapped, it was imported from England last year and all paperwork was done properly to get the Oregon title. Considering this is now a 25+ year old vehicle and hypothetically should pass CA. emissions, should i have any issue attempting to register this 110 here in CA.? Would love to pick one of these up, but I definitely want to make sure she can be registered here. Thanks in advance for your help.
The short answer is "not yet" and then "possibly"

CA registration issues exist unless the vehicle has been registered in another US state for at least two years. Even then the CARB issue on non-original diesel trucks is a bit of a gamble as CA continues to tighten up enforcement.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:24 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Is this the black 4 door pickup?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:34 PM
noeldaniels
Noel Daniels
noe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Is this the black 4 door pickup?
Small Defender world LOL, yes it is the black double cab... Thoughts?

And that's too bad to hear about where things are at here in Cali with these cars. Unfortunately this car was recently imported and titled, so I can scratch the 2 year idea...
Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:44 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
You will be amazed how small the Defender world really is! Welcome to it! Cool truck. Always liked those doubles. Good luck with everything!
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:34 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldaniels View Post
Small Defender world LOL, yes it is the black double cab... Thoughts?

And that's too bad to hear about where things are at here in Cali with these cars. Unfortunately this car was recently imported and titled, so I can scratch the 2 year idea...
Well.... The truck itself is uglier than sin. It looks like it's actually OK, but it's got that flat black paint job done by a 3rd grader. I want to say the interior is not great. The cab itself is a home made job, not a real crew cab.

I did not check out the running gear, or the lift, but I think I remember it was "too tall".

The engine was imported by a shadowy figure we have here in Portland. We've talked about him on the board here before. It was put into the truck, and never ran correctly, or something like that. It was taken over the Ship's Mechanical to be made right. When I saw it, the thing looked beautiful as Doug was finishing up the rebuild. I also saw the zip lock bag full of items that were removed from the oil pan -- glass, metal, rubber, plastic.......

The guy who owns it probably didn't know what he was getting into when he bought it.

Someone else might actually know about it more. But these are my observations from walking around it in the shop.

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 4th, 2015, 02:26 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Oregon registration is for 2yrs at a time. Coincidence? -Jeff
That there is a good point! Never thought about it, but Oregon just may well be the cheapest on ramp, albeit the slow lane, for row diesel defenders entering California!
Old April 4th, 2015, 07:03 AM
noeldaniels
Noel Daniels
noe

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm obviously a novice here, just a guy trying to find a good deal on an awesome 110, California compliant that is.

I believe there's a 110 registered in CA. on CL in the SoCal area for around $40k. If anyone knows of this car and is one I should look into further, please let me know. Thanks again, appreciate it.
Old April 4th, 2015, 08:11 AM
toad
Cutter
None

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ght=California
Old April 5th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Missouri
Shanon
110 Defender Double Cab

Just wanted to let you guys know that I own the 1989 110 Defender you have been referring to. Since no one has seen it, I would hope you would be courtesy and not try to scare off potential buyers. I bought her from England in August, had her imported and she has been properly brought into the country through customs. I am now awaiting the title and should have it in the next few weeks. In regards to her condition she is a beautiful rig and has some rust issues on the doors which I have let all the buyers know. You can ask noeldaniels above how informative I was with the condition of the vehicle. Doug Shipman installed the motor and made and additional $3500 worth of repairs and she is in great shape mechanically. (I doubt any of you would doubt the quality of Shipman Motors work). Finally, the reason I am getting rid of her is that my wife will not drive a right hand vehicle. I put the automatic transmission in the vehicle specifically to make it easier for her but she has now refused to drive it. We have 4 kids and our other daily driver is a huge Mercedes Benz 2500 Sprinter. So when she wants to run some errands she doesn't feel comfortable driving the 110. That is the reason that I am selling her, not because I am over my head or there is anything wrong with the vehicle. Thanks and everyone have a great day!

------ Follow up post added April 5th, 2015 03:30 PM ------

One more thing. I am an attorney by trade and I have reviewed the CA emissions guidelines and it is my opinion that a Oregon 110 is legally able to be registered in CA. The 110 has to have a valid Oregon title and the diesel engine can not be the original engine (that is where the 2 year issue comes up). Additionally, Oregon adopted California's emission standards back in 2009 so they are identical. I have been on the CA DMV website and the CARB website and that is what I have taken from the information provided. I will be calling CA DMV on Monday to confirm. Have a good one!
Old April 5th, 2015, 07:45 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that I own the 1989 110 Defender you have been referring to. Since no one has seen it, I would hope you would be courtesy and not try to scare off potential buyers. I bought her from England in August, had her imported and she has been properly brought into the country through customs. I am now awaiting the title and should have it in the next few weeks. In regards to her condition she is a beautiful rig and has some rust issues on the doors which I have let all the buyers know. You can ask noeldaniels above how informative I was with the condition of the vehicle. Doug Shipman installed the motor and made and additional $3500 worth of repairs and she is in great shape mechanically. (I doubt any of you would doubt the quality of Shipman Motors work). Finally, the reason I am getting rid of her is that my wife will not drive a right hand vehicle. I put the automatic transmission in the vehicle specifically to make it easier for her but she has now refused to drive it. We have 4 kids and our other daily driver is a huge Mercedes Benz 2500 Sprinter. So when she wants to run some errands she doesn't feel comfortable driving the 110. That is the reason that I am selling her, not because I am over my head or there is anything wrong with the vehicle. Thanks and everyone have a great day!

------ Follow up post added April 5th, 2015 03:30 PM ------

One more thing. I am an attorney by trade and I have reviewed the CA emissions guidelines and it is my opinion that a Oregon 110 is legally able to be registered in CA. The 110 has to have a valid Oregon title and the diesel engine can not be the original engine (that is where the 2 year issue comes up). Additionally, Oregon adopted California's emission standards back in 2009 so they are identical. I have been on the CA DMV website and the CARB website and that is what I have taken from the information provided. I will be calling CA DMV on Monday to confirm. Have a good one!
Just so you know, I did see the truck, and was there when Doug was doing the last day of work on the engine.

My comments were, as I said, my memory, impressions of the truck. My "negative" comments are meant to describe it as I saw it. I don't think I got anything wrong, but as I mentioned, I am sketchy on the running gear and lift that it had. I honestly don't remember the interior details.

And for all others. Just to be sure, I'm not saying don't buy! It is a different animal, but especially since Shipman rebuilt the engine, I would not say it's bad. I'd say you would not want this if you were looking for the "classic" 1980s Defender. But if you want something to turn heads and not worry about taking on a trail. Why not?

The "shadowy figure" is not the you, the owner. I was referring to Zombie Motors, and I can't think of any time when he has been mentioned on this board where his... shadowyness has not been clearly defined.

So, sorry if my comments were understood to be that I would not recommend buying the truck. He asked me for my thoughts on it.

1965 IIa SWB
Old April 5th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Diesel. California. Land Rover.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	652768953_a3152829_252_ROTFLMAO_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	117741  

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 5th, 2015, 08:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that I own the 1989 110 Defender you have been referring to. Since no one has seen it, I would hope you would be courtesy and not try to scare off potential buyers. I bought her from England in August, had her imported and she has been properly brought into the country through customs. I am now awaiting the title and should have it in the next few weeks. In regards to her condition she is a beautiful rig and has some rust issues on the doors which I have let all the buyers know. You can ask noeldaniels above how informative I was with the condition of the vehicle. Doug Shipman installed the motor and made and additional $3500 worth of repairs and she is in great shape mechanically. (I doubt any of you would doubt the quality of Shipman Motors work). Finally, the reason I am getting rid of her is that my wife will not drive a right hand vehicle. I put the automatic transmission in the vehicle specifically to make it easier for her but she has now refused to drive it. We have 4 kids and our other daily driver is a huge Mercedes Benz 2500 Sprinter. So when she wants to run some errands she doesn't feel comfortable driving the 110. That is the reason that I am selling her, not because I am over my head or there is anything wrong with the vehicle. Thanks and everyone have a great day! ------ Follow up post added April 5th, 2015 03:30 PM ------ One more thing. I am an attorney by trade and I have reviewed the CA emissions guidelines and it is my opinion that a Oregon 110 is legally able to be registered in CA. The 110 has to have a valid Oregon title and the diesel engine can not be the original engine (that is where the 2 year issue comes up). Additionally, Oregon adopted California's emission standards back in 2009 so they are identical. I have been on the CA DMV website and the CARB website and that is what I have taken from the information provided. I will be calling CA DMV on Monday to confirm. Have a good one!
So I'm sure you'd be willing to extend any prospective CA buyer the security of a full refund pending their ability to title it in CA without issue? Very nice!
Old April 5th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Missouri
Shanon
110 Defender Double Cab

Unlike maybe other people who have been on here (because I get the sense that it's all sky is falling talk), I would definitely make sure that the person could register the vehicle in CA. Why wouldn't I? It's called honesty and integrity. My Dad always said if you don't anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Have a great night!
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that I own the 1989 110 Defender you have been referring to. Since no one has seen it, I would hope you would be courtesy and not try to scare off potential buyers.
I've seen it. It's rough.

Also, you spelled 'Oswego' incorrectly.

The Zombie Motors guy is Zack Monsieur. He has a horrible reputation, gained by his ripping off several people in the Porsche community, amongst other things.
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:34 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Unlike maybe other people who have been on here (because I get the sense that it's all sky is falling talk), I would definitely make sure that the person could register the vehicle in CA. Why wouldn't I? It's called honesty and integrity. My Dad always said if you don't anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Have a great night!
Sorry that we're not making it super simple for you to flip your truck that we've discussed elsewhere with concern, but this is a close community built on ensuring people have the info they need to make educated decisions when purchasing. This is a Defender forum - therefore there aren't motivating factors for our members to discourage other members from purchasing solid Defenders and registering them in areas where they are likely to encounter little to no issues. There are, however, many members here who will help educate other members on vehicles that have perhaps been cobbled together, or which may face significant barriers when attempting to register the vehicle locally. Did your dad also say if you have solid advice, keep it a secret?
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Pics of the truck Missouri/Shanon has for sale

At least you're not this dude claiming he has his 1974 Defender for sale...

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/4919235905.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-943083782.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	117748   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2332818770.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	117749  

Name:	image-2955807518.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	117750  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, defender, defender 110