Originally Posted by ve9aa
1991 Land Rover Defender 90 or 110 in the UK and importing it into Canada.
My questions in no particular order are:
Parts prices and availability? (brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc.)
Top speed for each of the engines. 2.5na, 2.5td and 200tdi
Top TOWING speed. (towing a mini or a laden utility trailer)
Prices in the UK of a decent but not show quality truck? (have done a bit of research already, but still working on this one)
Wheel bolt pattern/size? (to see if I can source extra wheels here ahead of time)
[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000066]These question are for the UK spec'd diesels (not NAS, and not gas)
Here is what I know about the 2.5L na 110 (1985):
- top speed: around 130km/h. But so noisy that you'll drive it around 110km/h.
- top speed towing: in the 110, (not so) steep hills means that you'll end up in 3rd gear at around 60km/h if you are towing a 300kg-trailer. On a flat surface, the trailer only affects your acceleration, does not do anything to your top speed (shoe box Cx, can't be worst with a trailer.....)
- the engine will burn pretty much anything that looks like diesel. Probably will need to make sure the rubber stuff holds those "new" bio diesels/grease/whatever. Pure (thin) oil will need no modification (specially if you mix it with diesel).
- wheel bolt pattern: same as NA Defender. Stock wheels were narrower I think.
- price? Well.... First I'd go with a non-UK truck (you don't have to live with a right-hand drive truck...), German, French, Italian,.... plenty of other countries out there. If you look long enough, you will find a decent 198x truck for about USD 4-5K.
Side note: I don't think you could get the 2.5 na or 2.5 turbo engine option on a 1991 truck but I could be wrong. If you can (probably more expensive) get a 300Tdi engine truck. Much more power (get an early model with little or no electronic engine management stuff).
I'll check the latest mag I had from the UK to give you a UK-style blue book value.