Def 90 NAS fiberglass hard top removal instructions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Def 90 NAS fiberglass hard top removal instructions

I have searched high and low. Does anyone know how to remove a NAS fiberglass hard top? I'm hesitant to just start unbolting it as I know these are rare to find in great shape (as is mine), can be fragile and are made of several pieces. Also it doesn't look like these are bolted but maybe threaded into rivets?

I have zero experience doing this so want to be careful and do it right. I need to remove it to perform some surface rust repair and repainting along where the top meets the body.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, the last owner looks to have installed wooden strips to insulate between the body and the top but I seem to recall this should be lined with rubber stripping. Anyone know if this rubber stripping is sold anywhere or will any type of rubber weather stripping work well enough.

Thanks!
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

Good idea there's definitely a right and wrong way - I remember cracking a back corner piece.... That was in 1996 so I can't help you unfortunately.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The key thing is to unbolt the nuts that are behind the C pillar on the metal bolt strip on the side panel. Everything else is pretty self explanatory. Sometimes the bolts in the rivnuts in the cappings spin and you have to cut off the heads and then replace the rivnuts. Same for the ones on the front, but you can grip the rivnuts by removing the trim on the top of the windscreen.
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:23 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Thanks for the advice. Question on the rivnuts if I have some that need the heads cut off are replacing these fairly easy? Do I need a rivet gun? And are replacement rivnuts available? If not I may think twice about taking this off!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatos1001 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Question on the rivnuts if I have some that need the heads cut off are replacing these fairly easy? Do I need a rivet gun? And are replacement rivnuts available? If not I may think twice about taking this off!
You cut the bolt head off and then drill out the rivnut if it spins without coming out. Easy to buy from usual suspects or McMaster (I just bought genuine). You need a rivnut gun or a rivnut tool (like a bolt thing).

No big deal, just be aware so you know it might happen.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:12 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Take your time, force nothing, and don't do it alone! The top panel is very fragile at the B-pillar coupling. Lift gently with a friend from both sides, and support on either side of the B-pillar. Store perfectly flat, well supported, or vertical on its tail end with its top side leaning against the wall. The rest is self-explanatory. You'll be fine and later realize you were overly concerned. I've done it 6 times in 6 seasons, once alone and I'll never do THAT again!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I forgot about your mention of "wooden strips." I'm not sure what you mean and how they were used. Post a picture and we could help more.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
If you go to the Tech Articles section of this web page there are the factory instructions for installing the top, removing is just the reverse. It has illustrations and parts list maintenance and so on.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Perfect thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, fiber, fiberglass, glass, hard top, nas, top