Def 200TDI Alternator alternatives - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 27th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Def 200TDI Alternator alternatives

I will probably need a new alternator for my 200TDI defender CSW and am looking to tap into the shared wisdom of this community.
The current unit is a 70A rebuilt Bosch unit circa 2007. The original unit is a A127/65A (P/N RTC5680N replaced by STC234?). I have a single Optima RedTop battery. I will be eventually installing two winches, a WARN M15 in the front (very soon) and a WARN M12000 in the back (eventually).

Questions:
1) Should I attempt to install a 100A upgraded alternator? There seems to be a mixed feeling about this in the community, mainly because the diesel won't turn the alternator fast enough to get any benefit.
2) LRDirect has the following alternatives for the alternators: Britpart (won't buy); Lucas (says supplied by Britpart, so does this mean it's licensed by Lucas and made by Britpart?); Bearmach and Quinton Hazell. Of this bunch, what's going to last longer and run better?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2017, 10:32 AM
OH+D
Adam
1972 Series III

I have a variation of the GM CS130 alternator installed on my Defender 200Tdi.

Mine has been upgraded to 160A internals. There are also permanent magnet internals available for the CS130 frame that produce huge amperage from very low RPM.

To fit this alternator I had to clearance the cast steel alternator/PS pump bracket with a grinder by maybe 3/16".

The issue you will run into under very high alternator loads is belt slippage with the V belt. I have not stressed mine to that point yet.

For your situation I'd plan on adding a hand throttle to be able to bump the engine RPM during heavy winching.

Adam
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The 120 A upgraded unit Britpart sells works well. I've run one for a few years and no problems. Do not get hung up on the supplier. They all buy the parts from the same factories....

I'm not sure what other ones you are looking at, but that is the only direct fit one. The 100 A alternators for the Disco 200TDI motors will not fit.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2017, 10:57 AM
xathor
Nick
98 Discovery

Got a part number for the 120A from Britpart?
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The 120 A upgraded unit Britpart sells works well. I've run one for a few years and no problems. Do not get hung up on the supplier. They all buy the parts from the same factories....

I'm not sure what other ones you are looking at, but that is the only direct fit one. The 100 A alternators for the Disco 200TDI motors will not fit.

Thanks, is it DA1195 for their current 100A upgrade kit?
I was eyeballing it yesterday actually on their website and my hate for Britpart was battling my realization that no one else offers this option.
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:07 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I have 75 amp alternators for $139.99 shipped for the Defnnder style 200TDI engines.
The alternator is different for the 200TDI disco engine.
Unless you go to a twin belt system, a 120 amp alternator with a single belt will slip under load.
I am running a 149 amp alternator on one of our 110s and had to go to twin belts to stop belt slippage.
About the most you can safely get out of a single V-belt is 90 AMP with the correct geometry.
It is possible to run higher that 90 AMP on a single V-Belt as long as the larger amperage doesn't draw at idle.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:51 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have had 2 britpart 100a da1195's fail in just under a year. I think they both had approx 6-8k miles on them. I would run the other way or buy two and carry a spare because you will need it!
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I have 75 amp alternators for $139.99 shipped for the Defnnder style 200TDI engines.
The alternator is different for the 200TDI disco engine.
Unless you go to a twin belt system, a 120 amp alternator with a single belt will slip under load.
I am running a 149 amp alternator on one of our 110s and had to go to twin belts to stop belt slippage.
About the most you can safely get out of a single V-belt is 90 AMP with the correct geometry.
It is possible to run higher that 90 AMP on a single V-Belt as long as the larger amperage doesn't draw at idle.
Thanks, which ones do you have 75A, Bosch or something else?

------ Follow up post added September 27th, 2017 07:39 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingRyan View Post
I have had 2 britpart 100a da1195's fail in just under a year. I think they both had approx 6-8k miles on them. I would run the other way or buy two and carry a spare because you will need it!
Thanks, that's what I'm afraid of, I don't have much trust in anything complicated, made by Britpart. Ever since I saw their brand new "Heavy Duty" clutch fork fall apart during installation (thank god it was during and not shortly after), I`m very cautious of their quality...

I'd love to get that 70A Bosch alternator that I have right now (the failed one). It's date stamped 2007 so, even with the vehicle not running for a couple of years, it still lasted at least 7-8 years, which is not bad, especially for a rebuilt unit.
Has anyone bought quinton hazell (QH) rebuilt units?
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:29 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedrover View Post
Thanks, which ones do you have 75A, Bosch or something else?
They are new Magneti Marelli made in either Israel, Slovenia, or the Czech Republic.
1 year warranty not counting return shipping for a replacement if needed.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, alternator, tdi