Def 110: intermittent loss of acceleration, white smoke, dying after accelerating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2015, 10:22 PM
lro
John Doisneau
1998/Defender 110

Angry Def 110: intermittent loss of acceleration, white smoke, dying after accelerating

Hi,

I have the feeling it could be the injection pump and since I am a complete newbie regarding this area I was wondering if someone here could indicate to me the steps I could go through to properly diagnose what the actual cause is (fingers crossed as I do not have sufficient budget to replace the pump!)

Symptoms
When starting the car (every time engine is cold, sometimes when engine is warm) or while driving (apparently more when going uphill, the acceleration weakens all the sudden and the engine does not respond to the acceleration pedal anymore, sometimes to the point of stopping the engine.
After letting the engine turn for a while without accelerating, after a couple or lately up to 10 minutes of insisting, the acceleration starts working again, as if nothing had happened in the first place.
Observation 1: while trying to restore proper functioning I see that white smoke escapes from the exhaust (meaning poor combustion?)
Observation 2: while trying to restore proper functioning, I can sometimes hear a weird tremor (metallic noise) in a turning part somewhere under the hood, especially at low rotations.

Weird fact
The first time I had these symptoms I had just changed the engine air filter and have the feeling some dust could have entered the engine air tract. This morning I carefully removed and repositionned the air filter to make sure the fit was good, but instead of resolving the issue it started to occur even more.

Important data
Car model is a Defender 110 from 1998. Less than 150,000 miles. Original engine.

Has anyone some advice please? I have parked the car and decided not to use the car anymore until I know the root cause of this issue, as I am scared of a worst-case scenario...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2015, 10:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

What engine?
Sounds like a TDI wilh fuel delivery issues.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 13th, 2015, 05:58 AM
lro
John Doisneau
1998/Defender 110

OK, but could that be linked to an air filter change / dust entering the clean air tract?

The engine is the 300 TDI, yep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 06:09 AM
lro
John Doisneau
1998/Defender 110

Also, is there any test I could perform to confirm that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ac