Decibel test for Exmoor Trim mat - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2015, 09:49 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Decibel test for Exmoor Trim mat

So I recently purchased an Exmoor trim acoustic mat for my 90. As I looked for information on decibel reduction levels through the use of a mat like this, I just couldn't find any, so I decided to try to conduct my own testing and report here. I'm not a sound engineer and don't have any special gear, but I plan to use an app on my IPad to measure decibel levels prior to and after installation of the pad. Without getting too crazy I plan to run the test by establishing certain controls and have a variety of testing conditions. That said, I'd be interested in any feedback or recommendations to give this test the best results.

Truck has stock drivetrain with magnaflow stainless cat backs, and a snorkel. I have Bridgestone dueler tires on 4.12 gears. 125k miles on 3.9. Mobil 1 used in engine. New oil in trans, xterm case and diffs. It's a softtop with a fiberglass roof on currently, sliding window tops, and the doors seal ok, but hey it's a Defender.

I plan to drive the truck on an identical route at the same time of day (10pm to cut ambient noise as much as possible). I will drive on residential neighborhood roads, city streets stop light to stop light and at highway speeds (3000k and I can get to 70 downhill!)

I plan to run the control route this week and hopefully install it this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

This is going to be interesting. My experience using the Skypa DB10 app is that holding the device in my hand results in very different readings to having it mounted in the car.
Steady speed readings are probably the easiest to duplicate.
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Subscribed.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2015, 09:59 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I've used some various apps to see how they work. A few seemed to produce some fairly accurate results, but nothing like some "real" equipment could do.

I'd lay the iPad on the floorboards, in the seat, on center console, back seats, etc, etc.... then average the readings from various places in the passenger cabin. Then do the same locations under the same driving conditions with the mat installed. You may not get accurate results, but if you do the test right before and after, you might get a result that shows change or no change.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:06 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Skypa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
This is going to be interesting. My experience using the Skypa DB10 app is that holding the device in my hand results in very different readings to having it mounted in the car.
Steady speed readings are probably the easiest to duplicate.
Chris that is the app I planned on using. Seems to get decent reviews.
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:16 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Definetly interested in results! 👍🏻
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:10 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Following!

Old December 8th, 2015, 09:11 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
This is great!
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:39 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I think this is going to have very disappointing results for the acoustic mat.

My experience is that the mat will take care of gear whine, and some tire noise. Having said that, where you put your sensor is critical to the evaluation of the acoustic mat. If the sensor isn't right by the mat I think it will be washed out by other noise.

I'll download the app and run some comparison numbers for you (I have a TDi though).

I have made a lot of effort (some recently) to cut the noise down. I expect very little difference between the decibel readings of my truck and a comparable stock setup.

+ Exmoor Acoustic Mat
+ Dynamat
+ Dynaliner under hood
+ Hood weather stripping around its perimeter
+ Turbo blanket
+ Acousitc Valve Cover (ERR3276)
+ YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR H/T-S G051 (I bought these really because of their noise rating 8.1 vs 6.3 for the Duellers)
+ Dynaliner between most dash pieces and all dash hardware snugged very tightly.
- Ratty Door seals not yet replaced
- vibrating rear windows
- seat slide vibrates
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:08 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I run Zero matting in my truck with a Badger Top. I've driven Rob's with the Exmoor Matting, Full Doors and Badger Top. His is very quiet by comparison. Makes me want to do the same with mine to make it a bit more livable in the winter.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post

My experience is that the mat will take care of gear whine, and some tire noise. Having said that, where you put your sensor is critical to the evaluation of the acoustic mat. If the sensor isn't right by the mat I think it will be washed out by other noise.

I'll download the app and run some comparison numbers for you (I have a TDi though).

I have made a lot of effort (some recently) to cut the noise down. I expect very little difference between the decibel readings of my truck and a comparable stock setup.

+ Exmoor Acoustic Mat
+ Dynamat
+ Dynaliner under hood
+ Hood weather stripping around its perimeter
+ Turbo blanket
+ Acousitc Valve Cover (ERR3276)
+ YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR H/T-S G051 (I bought these really because of their noise rating 8.1 vs 6.3 for the Duellers)
+ Dynaliner between most dash pieces and all dash hardware snugged very tightly.
- Ratty Door seals not yet replaced
- vibrating rear windows
- seat slide vibrates
You are missing two critical areas for a 110 sound reduction...

Under headliner and rear tub floor. Also would have mounted the bonnet pad as well. The weighted matting does far more than the Dynamat application.
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:34 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
How about you just measure the decibels at your ear.

Even a chintzy phone app measurement would be better than what is available now on the internet. Which is nothing.
Old December 8th, 2015, 12:36 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Also would have mounted the bonnet pad as well. The weighted matting does far more than the Dynamat application.
I took your advice, and I did the bonnet pad AND the dynamat. Great noise reduction.
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:02 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I have 1/2" dynaliner under the hood. Currently incomplete headliner. Dynamat in the TUB and headliner.

Old December 8th, 2015, 01:16 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
need to get this done with my suspension refresh, the 300 TDI on a bare floor and headliner is a bit much to handle.

Glad to see noticeable improvements by everyone who has fitted dynamat
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post

Oscar, I've done work on my TDI 110 with Second Skin products. this liner is on my want list. When sitting still at idle, the TDI rattle is all I hear of course, and it's tolerable. Once up to speed however, the TDI noise lessons to a comfortable level, but the MT road noise and most prominently, the tranny/tcase gear whine are what I really want to reduce. holes/gaps in the firewall, tranny tunnel and seat box are my main offenders.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:04 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I still have a couple of holes that need address but for the most part I have them all plugged up. I have a hole that is on the right side of the bulkhead right by the fuse panel that the PO ran a bunch of wires into the engine bay. I lazily followed his lead and wish I hadn't. That's on the list too.

I think transmission gear, wind, and tires were on my hit list. The mat works on gear whine. I'd like to get some more material between me and the cabin by making a 1/2 rubber blanket around my transmission. I 'm pretty sure I can't hear my tires over the rest of the noise.

Here are two quick readings. FYI there is about a 5db needle swing with no perceptible change in conditions.

Idle at a stop light:

40 mph in 4th gear, ha "average automibile":

97db max was me closing the garage door.
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:21 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I used Al's Heat and Noise reducer in my 109. It did drop the noise level a good amount, however it wasn't night and day difference. I think its just because the 109 is so stupid loud. However when I can play my music through my earphones a lot lower now. That is how I noticed a difference. It did knock down on the heat significantly as my legs in summer don't feel like they are on fire (even when wearing long pants, as is required by my place of employment).

The exmoor trim is next in my list but I'm going to put down some Mass Loaded Vinyl under it. Hopefully all of this will improve both temperature and noise insulation. For whatever reason, my transmission wines like an SOB. Other than that, most of the noise comes from the engine. Haven't figured out what to do there. Need to investigate some bonnet insulation.
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:39 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I have the exmoor mat in my 110. I would say my transmission and tcase seem to make no noise. The mat did improve on the sound slightly but massive improvement on heat through the floor which is the number one reason I bought it. The majority of my noise seem to come directly through the bulkhead and is all tdi clatter. Noise with the iphone app is about 85 db held at head level at oregon freeway speeds. (ie 55)
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:47 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

This will be interesting to see.

I used horse mat from Tractor Supply. Its cheap and thick as hell. I've noticed it has quieted down a bit. I am going to get one more sheet and stick it under the hood, and one long strip across the seatbox.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exmoor