Decibel test for Exmoor Trim mat - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:24 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
I put the Exmoor mat in my 84 110 County it has an ACR 4.8L V8 motor with a LT95 4speed. It help around town but on the highway at 65-70mph it's at 87db (at ear level). I need to swap out the 4speed for a Ashcroft R380 5speed with a taller 5 gear. Think I am at 3,500 rpm at 65-70mph with the LT95 4 speed.

For now this is my solution for the highway!

Is this a brown Saudi county truck?

If you swap out the high range gears for the .996 gears your top end will be almost on par to a R380 in 5th with 1.2 tcase gears.

Let me know when you decide to ditch the LT95.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2015, 10:04 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

My truck compared to Brians is pretty quite, and the heat has ceased to be an issue in the summer.. for the winter i need to use the seat heaters and the heater.. I'm moving to a Hard top this weekend so hopefully it will be better still (until summer anyway when i go back to the ST or the Bikini)

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I have isolators on all 4 corners and unfortunately they don't do much if anything for road noise
You gave up any chance of a quiet ride when you bought swampers

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
My truck compared to Brians is pretty quite, and the heat has ceased to be an issue in the summer.. for the winter i need to use the seat heaters and the heater.. I'm moving to a Hard top this weekend so hopefully it will be better still (until summer anyway when i go back to the ST or the Bikini)
Something I have learned by mistake is about 3M Crystalline window tinting ability to help retain interior cab heat in the winter. It acts as a thermal break to heat loss. One tinting level is nearly clear and can be used on the front glass as well.

3M United States: Scotchgard Automotive Protection: Auto Dealerships: Products: Window Film: 3M™ Crystalline Window Films
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:41 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

You gave up any chance of a quiet ride when you bought swampers
So true
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:41 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
I finished the install on Saturday, but it's been too warm to measure the heat reduction/insulation effects as I'd like to compare the post install test to the control test with ambient temps in the 40s.

BLUF: I would buy this again.

First of all, my kit from RN didn't come with directions. It's not that hard to figure out with three parts, but for $750 I'd hope I'd get a paper on order of operations, things to consider, recommended tools, etc. Thanks defendersource for the tips I found in my search. The install was pretty straight forward. Measure twice, cut once.

Initial impressions: cosmetically it looks great. I am really impressed with the material and think it looks more refined. The front cabin looks finished. I took my first drive and as predicted by many here, noticed an immediate reduction in noise in the first 4 gears around town. Gear noise is pretty much the only thing reduced, some exhaust drone and some road noise, but engine noise hasn't changed much at all. The cab is actually tolerable and noise is significantly muted. My first thoughts were how did I tolerate the noise for so long? Until I installed the mat, I didn't know how much better things could be. Now this is my new normal and couldn't imagine going back. As an example for how much improved the sound reduction is, I didn't hook my stereo back up after the install (center console mount), instead I drove around town to check the install and tried playing my media player on my Samsung Galaxy. I could now consider using my phone in the truck and have for the past few days.

Test drive: I drove the same route at the same time, same distance, the only difference would be temperature. On neighborhood and city streets the decibels dropped 5-7 on average. I went from averaging high 80s to low 80s. Again this is where the mat makes its biggest gains. What I felt was the most perceptible change at the ear was the high pitched whine of my gears is gone. I think the high pitch is what made that sound uncomfortable almost like ice picks in my ears. That sound is muted if gone completely and so far is my biggest gain in the purchase. The engine noise is somewhat lower and almost feels more tolerable.

On the highway the decibels dropped 3-5 and never broke 90 at peak. During the control, the decibels averaged 90 and during the test the peak was 90, averaging 86-88 decibels. I was pleasantly surprised that my truck is no longer compared to a blender. It is still an average motorcycle and now an average automobile. The wind noise is still there as is the engine noise.

As stated above I would buy this again.

I have taken recordings of my test drives for folks to listen to here, just need to figure out how to post them.

Once the temps drop back to the 40s, I'll make another identical highway run and test the heat reduction/insulation and report back.
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:48 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
thanks for posting up that info...good stuff
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:36 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Thanks so much Joe, any words of wisdom for the install? I'm about to buy this with the ole holiday bonus across the river in DC.
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:45 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

On the install.. take your time, you have to cut everything - there are no pre-done holes.
for the seats i ended up using a hole saw and finishing with a razor. the cubby boxes are straight edge and a razor affairs for a better cut.. Again measure 3 times then mark and cut.

You need to remove the seats and center console of course and the MudUK cup holder thing for the r380 will not fit securely anymore.

now for even more quite... the rover tops Hard top makes an amazing difference as well (the one i have is rhino lined it looks like on the inside.)

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 18th, 2015, 02:20 AM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Exactly what Robert said. Make sure you have good blades. One thing I did was drill out the two pop rivets for the seat box compartment latches. I planned to pull them off and pop rivet over the outside when the rubber mat was installed. That way the seat box wasn't diced up except for holes for seat mounting bolts and the compartment covers. As of this time I haven't reinstalled the latches. I have the covers in place and the matting on top. I think it looks cleaner and may never reinstall the latches.

Check this out to get an idea on install
http://http://youtu.be/2nlM_Yjkb80
Old December 18th, 2015, 11:11 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Started test at 9pm. Weather.com said ambient temp outside is 43 degrees. Thermometer inside car said 48.7 degrees. Pyrometer read all metal surfaces were 48 degrees. I measured bulkhead, floor boards, tunnel and bulkhead/tunnel/floorboard area where you scrape your foot hitting the accelerator - whatever that's called. All said 48 degrees plus or minus a tenth. At idle the decibel reader app read 67db.

Around town and stoplight to stoplight in 1-4 gear the decibels would fluctuate in mid 80s and as high as 91 at 2900 rpm prior to 3 to 4 shift.

On the highway I was at 2800 rpm to 2900 rpm for a consistent 40 minute drive down and back on 66. The db meter stayed in the 90-91db range with a max of 94. The app is funny as it provides comparisons which kept saying my truck was similar to an average motorcycle or average blender. No wonder I paid 700 bucks for some foam. I've been driving a blender.

What was most interesting is the heat measurements I took of the bare metal upon return:
Ambient air in truck 61.3 degrees. I never turned on the heat (thank you Patagonia) to not skew results. So just based on waste heat developed by the truck my inside air temp raised 13.3 degrees in 40 minutes.

The area described above near accelerator petal was at 93.5 degrees and same spot on passenger side at 94.8. I'm guessing this is closest place to the cats? The bulkhead behind the accelerator pedal was 91.7 and pass bulkhead 93.7. Floorboards were 70.1 and 71.7 respectively. The tunnel clocked 76-79 depending on where I shot it.

I think what Oscar mentions about gear whine is spot on. The more I tried to tune into the sounds on the truck while watching the db meter the more I think it will only really reduce gear whine and heat. How much of that is contributing to my overall noise issue this test could determine this weekend. If anything the majority of my gear whine is around town in 1-4 gears. Doubt it will do much for the noise at highway, but I do have an annoying perceptible whine when decelerating from anything above 2800 rpm. It seems gear whine reduces at cruising speed yet other noises like wind buffeting windshield/doors and tires pick up the slack. Will see.

Pics of the cheap Home Depot measuring tools I used are attached. Oh and I mounted the IPad to my dash and measured from there.
Started test tonight at 10pm. Weather.com said ambient temp outside is 34 degrees. Thermometer inside car said 46 degrees. Pyrometer read all rubber mat surfaces were 33 degrees. I measured bulkhead, floor boards, tunnel and bulkhead/tunnel/floorboard area where you scrape your foot hitting the accelerator. All said 33 degrees plus or minus a tenth.

After a 40 minute highway drive ambient air in truck was only 49degrees, raising only 3 degrees as opposed to 13 during the control. Again, I never turned on the heat to not skew results.

The area described above near accelerator petal was at 59.2 degrees and same spot on passenger side at 60. The bulkhead behind the accelerator pedal was 56.6 and pass bulkhead 57.4 Floorboards and tunnel clocked 51-52 degrees. So far the testing indicates a significant insulation advantage.
Old December 20th, 2015, 08:44 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Just read this, good short article on sound insulation:

Sound Insulation and McMaster Carr
Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Just read this, good short article on sound insulation: Sound Insulation and McMaster Carr
Finally something that is comprehensive and logical. Thanks for posting Oscar.

Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:44 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Just remember that sds uses 1/8" close cell foam, while McMaster sells 1" thick and 2" thick, at better prices.

I have used the McMaster 1" and 2" for noise abatement and it works. I wouldn't even bother with .125" foam.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exmoor