Decibel test for Exmoor Trim mat - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2015, 02:56 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
This will be interesting to see.

I used horse mat from Tractor Supply. Its cheap and thick as hell. I've noticed it has quieted down a bit. I am going to get one more sheet and stick it under the hood, and one long strip across the seatbox.

I have horse mat in the bed of my 110 and the Exmoor front mats. I think the sound level is pretty reasonable now. It's mostly tire noise at this point and I don't think there's anything much left to do to combat that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2015, 05:11 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

You could probably get a large data set from contributors here if it's an app. You could track different configurations of vehicle, floor mats, quieting features like dynomat, etc. Maybe set up a Google sheet and have a few people allowed to edit the categories, then we could send you our results.

------ Follow up post added December 8th, 2015 05:14 PM ------

And we could even see how the Mercedes engine mount kits that Robert Davis promised us do for sound deadening.

Like how I did that? 🙂
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

iOS:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deci...448155923?mt=8

the rest:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....decibel&hl=en
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Another item that will help reduce noise transmission is spring isolators.
Front RBC100111 and Rear ANR2938 .
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
It arrived today

As many have said, it's heavy. Invoice says the kit is 78 lbs and its every bit that in the box. I plan to take an initial aseline tonight, but many of you have brought up anther idea that I can tackle and what many buy the mat for and that's heat. I have a laser pyrometer that I can run but want the truck and exhaust to get up to operating temp for a sustained period, so I plan to adjust/extend my highway route to build more heat toward a typical operating temperature ( atleast in DC where it's low 40s tonight). Will advise soonest on control results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	136591  
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:24 PM
RSAmerica
David Katz
1985 Defender 110 SW County

I put the Exmoor mat in my 84 110 County it has an ACR 4.8L V8 motor with a LT95 4speed. It help around town but on the highway at 65-70mph it's at 87db (at ear level). I need to swap out the 4speed for a Ashcroft R380 5speed with a taller 5 gear. Think I am at 3,500 rpm at 65-70mph with the LT95 4 speed.

For now this is my solution for the highway!

Old December 8th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose609 View Post
I took your advice, and I did the bonnet pad AND the dynamat. Great noise reduction.
Did you get the stall-matting for the loadspace? The 3/4" stuff works wonders for reducing the cavernous effect of an empty 110.
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:35 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Did you get the stall-matting for the loadspace? The 3/4" stuff works wonders for reducing the cavernous effect of an empty 110.
I haven't yet. Great idea though!
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:43 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Initial test data

Started test at 9pm. Weather.com said ambient temp outside is 43 degrees. Thermometer inside car said 48.7 degrees. Pyrometer read all metal surfaces were 48 degrees. I measured bulkhead, floor boards, tunnel and bulkhead/tunnel/floorboard area where you scrape your foot hitting the accelerator - whatever that's called. All said 48 degrees plus or minus a tenth. At idle the decibel reader app read 67db.

Around town and stoplight to stoplight in 1-4 gear the decibels would fluctuate in mid 80s and as high as 91 at 2900 rpm prior to 3 to 4 shift.

On the highway I was at 2800 rpm to 2900 rpm for a consistent 40 minute drive down and back on 66. The db meter stayed in the 90-91db range with a max of 94. The app is funny as it provides comparisons which kept saying my truck was similar to an average motorcycle or average blender. No wonder I paid 700 bucks for some foam. I've been driving a blender.

What was most interesting is the heat measurements I took of the bare metal upon return:
Ambient air in truck 61.3 degrees. I never turned on the heat (thank you Patagonia) to not skew results. So just based on waste heat developed by the truck my inside air temp raised 13.3 degrees in 40 minutes.

The area described above near accelerator petal was at 93.5 degrees and same spot on passenger side at 94.8. I'm guessing this is closest place to the cats? The bulkhead behind the accelerator pedal was 91.7 and pass bulkhead 93.7. Floorboards were 70.1 and 71.7 respectively. The tunnel clocked 76-79 depending on where I shot it.

I think what Oscar mentions about gear whine is spot on. The more I tried to tune into the sounds on the truck while watching the db meter the more I think it will only really reduce gear whine and heat. How much of that is contributing to my overall noise issue this test could determine this weekend. If anything the majority of my gear whine is around town in 1-4 gears. Doubt it will do much for the noise at highway, but I do have an annoying perceptible whine when decelerating from anything above 2800 rpm. It seems gear whine reduces at cruising speed yet other noises like wind buffeting windshield/doors and tires pick up the slack. Will see.

Pics of the cheap Home Depot measuring tools I used are attached. Oh and I mounted the IPad to my dash and measured from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	136598  
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:49 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
How about you just measure the decibels at your ear.

Even a chintzy phone app measurement would be better than what is available now on the internet. Which is nothing.
Yes. Ed- I like where your head is at and this this may be most valuable comparison to a future consumer. Going off the theory that gear whine will most likely be reduced, I plan to do another run around town tomorrow prior to install and record maybe a 45-60sec clip of audio as my truck cruises the streets and then one at flank speed on the highway.

I can recreate this route when mat is installed, record new clips so you can hear the difference.
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:53 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

So if the conclusions are that the primary gains are just gear whine and heat, do we think Dynamat+Carpet achieves the same effect? Debating the exmoor system, but I just love the finished look of carpet for my setup.
Old December 9th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Good stuff!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:10 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I also think part of our problem is vibration "noise". I bet a device could be built to catch/absorb and transfer some of the vibrations running from the engine and throughout the chassis/crossmember.

I wonder if the newer vehicles use something like this? I've seen the thickness of the floor insulation of an LR4. I was shocked to see the foam at the bulkhead is 4 inches thick in places. Then there's carpet on top of that.

Heat is a big problem. I bet reflective aluminum shields around the cats and Trans tunnel would also do a great job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:24 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
So if the conclusions are that the primary gains are just gear whine and heat, do we think Dynamat+Carpet achieves the same effect? Debating the exmoor system, but I just love the finished look of carpet for my setup.
You won't get anywhere near the mass of the exmoor kit with dynamat and carpet. In the end that's really what you need. Dynamat is great at preventing vibration. I think big slabs of rubber is key to reducing noise in the cabin.

If you want to run dynamat and carpet maybe loading up some thick rubber under the truck might do it for you.
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:32 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Dynamat the doors to start. IMO, those are the largest resonating panels on the Defender. Dramatic change afterwards.
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:46 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
Another item that will help reduce noise transmission is spring isolators.
Front RBC100111 and Rear ANR2938 .
Have you tried this? The internet seems to agree that they are helpful in a Defender.
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Have you tried this? The internet seems to agree that they are helpful in a Defender.
I run them on my D90 and they do reduce road noise transmission. They also give about a 1/2" of body lift. Some people install them on the top & bottom of the springs, I only have them on the top of the springs.
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:59 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I have isolators on all 4 corners and unfortunately they don't do much if anything for road noise
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:00 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Good to know, thanks.
Old December 9th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I have isolators on all 4 corners and unfortunately they don't do much if anything for road noise
I think our difference in opinion is due to my hearing lose in the high range, which allows me to hear more low frequency noises.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exmoor