Defender Source Forum banner

Decent winch bumpers with extended aircon nose?

Tags
bumper winch
8K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  BarryO 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Seeking feedback/pictures/setup info on what people may be running for winch bumpers if you have an extended aircon nose, and even then, if you had to trim out the grill to make things work.

I've got my hands on a Rovers North bumper that would require me to trim the grill once fitted so I'm trying to see what other options are.

Thanks!

-Eric

#3 ·
Awesome. Any pics of the amount of trimming you did? What would be helpful as well is the tray-to-bottom-grill fascia measurement.

I've got a Warn Zeon winch and I'm trying to figure out a decent bumper to get things to line up. The one I have right now I'm less than impressed with for fitment, but looking at options.

With yours, I'm also assuming other AC-oriented tubular Terrafirma is the same, less the A bar?

#6 · (Edited)
oh boy...that is a serious problem. In your original post, you said, "trim the grill", which absolutely doesn't mean cutting into the grill surround. Two totally different parts. :)

If your bumper requires you to cut the grill mount/surround, you really should get a different bumper. I don't think I've ever seen anyone cut into their grill surround. That is extremely unusual and typically a non-starter. Most trim cutouts into the grill - not the grill surround.

The only people who do this are the super-hardcore 8274 guys who want to maximize the front breakover angle. But that's...quite hardcore.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Winch

Winch pics. Only need to trim the black inner grill and very little. I cut much more than I needed to.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)

Attachments

#20 ·
This bumper was built by a OVLR club member for a RRC. I cut off the mounts and welded on the 110 NAS bumper extensions (available from RN). Along with some other mods it fits perfectly, no interference. It is 3x8 HSS 3/16 thick. Fits nicely and is super robust as well it kinda looks like it belongs with the bumper end caps.

Good luck��

#23 ·
Yup just a 3M round rubber seal, keeps the crap out and noise down, being a Td5 rattle box and all. HSS = Hollow Structural Steel box section. :thumb:

Cheers

#29 ·
Ok, I have the same issue, but I was wondering if a RRC or D1 ARB winch bumper would work on this application. I have come across some that are pretty cheap, but I don't want to jump on them if they won't work. Any ideas? I am continuing to dig, but have not found enough information yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.