Decent LED signal light ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Decent LED signal light ?

Anyone found a decent LED signal lights?
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:55 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

There's a thread a few down entitled "Sources for LED TailLights" a few down, that may shed some light. I'm looking as well. I don't know if anyone makes 'front' signal lights though... if your search is encompassing the front that is. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:54 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Why not look at the various lamps SuperbrightLeds offers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The 45-led tower bulb from Superbrightleds is extremely bright and drops right in.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

One thing about the Superbright website is that it can be a little confusing. Look at all of the options when it comes to replacement bulbs. Leds are not omnidirectional like conventional bulbs, so to achieve that ( when needed) they create bulbs with multiple leds in various configuations. If, for example, you want to replace the 1156 and 1157 bulbs in a 94, you will want the bulb configuration which is meant to be mounted vertically and projects horizontally. Just look at how the bulb you want to replace is mounted and what viewing angles are required. Also there are other site selling leds for autos, such as http://www.ledtronics.com/products.aspx?page=16 and http://autolumination.com/
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I think LED's fall soundly into my "not enough benefit for the hassle" zone. I can buy a lot of "latt bubs" for the cost of a set of LEDs, and they require no fiddling.

I did buy a LED license plate lamp. It's got all of about 4 hours use on it, and it now strobes. Wiring has been checked and rechecked, no fix That's 2 of 3 items I bought from "Bolt on Bits" on UK ebay that have sucked -- first being the lamp guards everyone got excited about -- those break like they're made from hard candy. The LED fog lamp seems OK for now, but I never use it, either...
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:39 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If it's for your FC, look at my thread regarding ROW light replacement:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ed+replacement

If it's for NAS, those won't work.
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

These would be for the Forward Control
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Just saw and ad in LRO and Wipac just announced they are making NAS LED lights for the Defender (Rovers North is carrying them)
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...-led-rear.aspx
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
Just saw and ad in LRO and Wipac just announced they are making NAS LED lights for the Defender (Rovers North is carrying them)
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...-led-rear.aspx
those look kinda crappy.
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
those look kinda crappy.
I don't know that I would say they look "Crappy" but I certainly don't like them myself. For that price, why not get the real deal from ECR? I know they're pricey, but I finally bit the bullet and I love them, I definitely think they are worth it as opposed to figuring out your own cost cutting way of doing it.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

OK , So ECR no longer re sells the Chinese RDX light that Bold on Bits sells in the UK (and only to the UK) through Ebay. Wipac happens to be the original manufacture of our NAS lights, and they have the same look as their original NAS light but are LED (you will see the difference when they are operating) so I'm not sure how Ugly they really are. The are not cheep but according to RN they also don't need power adapters to make them work properly (like 90% of all other replacement LED lights. They come with plinths so for applications like mine starting from scratch on a custom 101FC rear cross member they are complete and surface mount (I don't want them protruding into the wheel wells where everything in the world gets kicked up at them . Cheep? No! but even in the UK they are 25 ($40)(a piece so 5 of them would be $200 then add on international shipping) and they are sealed water proof never a bulb to replace, and should stand up to abuse better than standard filaments .
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
those look kinda crappy.
I agree. They'll go well with a clean set WalMart neon strips behind a great set of sliders.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:33 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
OK , So ECR no longer re sells
Did they stop selling them? I was actually looking them up a few weeks ago, and the www.eastcoastrover.com/led.html link wasn't working but I just figured it was a site issue.

The versoin you posted just has a really cheap-looking pattern that doesn't even seem to attept similarities between the old and the new. How many lights are in each one? Do I count like 12-15, and reverse looks completely different from the rest? ECR's bunch cluster looked real nice in comparison, and way closer to stock.

http://classiccargallery.com/bigpic.php?id=1813&inv=168
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
http://safaridust.com/NAS-LED-Lights_c8.htm

Just order direct from Homeboy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
OK , So ECR no longer re sells the Chinese RDX light that Bold on Bits sells in the UK (and only to the UK) through Ebay. Wipac happens to be the original manufacture of our NAS lights, and they have the same look as their original NAS light but are LED (you will see the difference when they are operating) so I'm not sure how Ugly they really are. The are not cheep but according to RN they also don't need power adapters to make them work properly (like 90% of all other replacement LED lights. They come with plinths so for applications like mine starting from scratch on a custom 101FC rear cross member they are complete and surface mount (I don't want them protruding into the wheel wells where everything in the world gets kicked up at them . Cheep? No! but even in the UK they are 25 ($40)(a piece so 5 of them would be $200 then add on international shipping) and they are sealed water proof never a bulb to replace, and should stand up to abuse better than standard filaments .

No we do not sell the Truck-Lite LEDs mail order anymore due to supplier issues (they could not supply us fast enough).
We still use them for in house projects as they are sealed and have served us and customers well.

NAS original lamps were made by Perei (is that a division of Wipac?).

Perei made LED tail lamps as well and we started with those way back when, but they leaked so we went with the sealed Truck-Lite units.

More choice is good.

I'll put the LED page back up so you can see close ups of the truck-lite and Perei units.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Trucklite sells a round 95mm LED light with plinth? I could not find that or was that from their UK based affiliate ?
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Trucklite sells a round 95mm LED light with plinth? I could not find that or was that from their UK based affiliate ?
We get our Truck-Lite products from the UK. I do not think they sell the plinth. We use the Truck-Lite LED unit with the factory Land Rover plinth.

Just FYI, I just looked up the RDX lamp on ebay. That is not what we use or sell.

thanks

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Trucklite European division bought out Rubbolite a few years back it (in the US all the regulations are for larger tail lights so all our local truck shops wont carry the smaller round 95mm lights {even in non LED} that can sell in Europe. If they fit the stock LR plinths (cheep and easy to get) should be a good product , too bad they could not keep up with demand (we should all have such problems ;-)
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Trucklite European division bought out Rubbolite a few years back it (in the US all the regulations are for larger tail lights so all our local truck shops wont carry the smaller round 95mm lights {even in non LED} that can sell in Europe. If they fit the stock LR plinths (cheep and easy to get) should be a good product , too bad they could not keep up with demand (we should all have such problems ;-)
Tons of guys here bought the lamps through a group by we did years ago (through JimC), you can see if they are happy with them. The only issue we ever had with them is that if you do not use a sealed connector some crap they put on the roads in the winter in the midwest would still eat the wires.

Not sure I'd call them cheap though, especially the clear ones.

The UK was much easier to deal with when they were Flexible Lamps (Rubbolite). When Truck Lite came in customer service went to shit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, signal