Decent LED signal light ? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Thats unfortunate , If any one has a good photo of them I'd like to see how they look compared to the WIPAC
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
Thats unfortunate , If any one has a good photo of them I'd like to see how they look compared to the WIPAC
Front, back and on and off images on our site:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/LED.html

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

I can get hold of both the Perei lamps (as used by LR) and the Trucklite 95mm lamps easily in the UK if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

What can you get for pricing on 6 LED (2 stop, 2 signal , 2 reverse) all with plinths ? Shipping to Woodstock , VT 05091 USA
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

Me too Brooklyn NY 11215
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

not to be an ass but Padocks has them for 19 each including plinths a set of 6 shipped to me in VT were prided out at 167 = $261
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:45 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Velardi View Post
not to be an ass but Padocks has them for 19 each including plinths a set of 6 shipped to me in VT were prided out at 167 = $261
Not apples to apples because 1 lamp from Truck-Lite in the UK (still in the UK) costs us about that (15 pounds) on our wholesale account, so be sure you know what you are getting. Some are sealed, some are not. The Perei LED units failed in short order when we tested them years ago.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Paddock is carrying the WIPAC NAS LED water proof sealed units. (with a 12 month warranty ) The difference may be in the # of LEd each light has . Typically the more LED's per unit the more expensive they are. Not sure how many Trucklite uses, WIPAC appears to be using 15.
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

Those ones on the Paddock site ( http://www.paddockspares.com/brands/...ype-lamps.html ) sure look like the ones that RN is offering ( http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...-led-rear.aspx ) . . .
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

Rovers North is selling the WIPAC LED NAS lights also
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Has anyone tried out the ones RN is selling, Are they any good? They seem really cheap in comparison with the other LEDs being sold, or maybe those are gust grossly overpriced.
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM
ersatzknarf
Frank
'96 hybrid

If only these were a little more affordable : http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/SVX%20Defe...%20Lamps.shtml

I like 'em !
Old September 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

The issue of led lights is just as Mike said; apples to oranges. The two criteria is led count and watertightness. The two major US brands, Trucklite & Grote offer most lights in a low led and high led count with a price to match. The US versions which are larger than the Euro lights are designed for grommet fitting in trucks. Because of that they are usually exposed at the back and in rough service, so they are built and designed to withstand the elements. That goes for the connectors as well. The majority of the Euro lights are not designed for that use and can suffer accordingly. So look closely at what you are buying. It's better to just go with a good led bulb than a cheap led light, imho.
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

There's more to it than that. There are also standard output and high-intensity output LED's so count is not necessarily all that matters. What really matters is Lumen. Lumen is the measure of the total "amount" of visible light emitted by a source. If the retailer is serious about their product (military, commercial, etc) they will list the lumen output for each light that they sell. And if they really know what they're talking about then they will specify the degree in raw lumens and effective lumens. raw lumens is the theoretical output (this is how most retailers list it because it is a higher number and it sounds like a lot) and the raw lumens is what you get after heat loss, lens dispersion etc. That is, the amount of light you actually get. There's some really great explanations here if you want to get into it: http://store.marinebeam.com/coouinlu.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
The issue of led lights is just as Mike said; apples to oranges. The two criteria is led count and watertightness. The two major US brands, Trucklite & Grote offer most lights in a low led and high led count with a price to match. The US versions which are larger than the Euro lights are designed for grommet fitting in trucks. Because of that they are usually exposed at the back and in rough service, so they are built and designed to withstand the elements. That goes for the connectors as well. The majority of the Euro lights are not designed for that use and can suffer accordingly. So look closely at what you are buying. It's better to just go with a good led bulb than a cheap led light, imho.
Old October 1st, 2011, 07:44 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I didn't want to get that technical, but you are correct. I would still say, however that for the applications on this board, weathertighness and ruggedness are the primary concern.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, signal