Death wobble, what the bell is going on? Help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Shocks might work. It's always better to throw parts at a problem rather than do a methodical diagnosis.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2014, 06:11 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Check your bushings- pan hard and radius arms, as well as TRE. It is possibly the pins, but typically the consumables mentioned are beyond their life, and can cause issues...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:36 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Those bearings don't have much load on them and never spin more than 15 degrees.
Just the weight of that corner of the vehicle, so yup, not much. They do brinnell, especially when you keep taking shims out. Not sayin that this is the problem for this bloke, but that the swivels are so easy to service once you get drilled down that far, that one should just go and do the job. Parts aren't that dear either.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2014, 07:42 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I had the same exact thing happen on my 88 RRC. Ended up being a worn out panhard bushing. Took all of 20 minutes to fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

A bad shock, wheel, separated tire, pan hard rod....etc, all "contribute to the harmonic wobble" at the end of the day it's going to be a pre-load problem. Say you rotate the tires and the problem goes away....it will come back maybe not for 6 months...but unless the pre-load swivel gets addressed you still have a problem.
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

After I did just about everything a couple years ago, I still had the DW. It was swivel ball preload. Yes, my balls had incorrect preload. Shimmed them and now no DW. If you need new shocks, which there are non-DW ways to check, then replace them, but don't go around randomly replacing stuff that doesn't seem worn out as a guess, IMHO. I've done way too much of that (and still do from time to time). One should check their preload anyways--it is rather simple.

What gets me, after all these years, is how that preload actually causes the DW's. I know it does--positive of it. But why exactly just doesn't make intuitive sense.
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:36 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Also if you rotate the tires you might notice it go away for a bit or get a lot worse.

Less air pressure on the front tires will keep you feeling the vib a lot less. More air in the front tires and the vibs will be real bad.

Im positive its the panhard bushings and/or swivels
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:42 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Yep, it was the pre-tension on the swivel pins, thanks for the advice.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:49 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Awesome!
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanDiesel View Post
Yep, it was the pre-tension on the swivel pins, thanks for the advice.
Did you solve by adding/removing the shims, or replacing components? Did you do the fish scale measurement to set the proper tension?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:09 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

Did you solve by adding/removing the shims, or replacing components? Did you do the fish scale measurement to set the proper tension?
I removed shims and replaced top pin, used fish scale. Had to try several times until I got 18 lbs of tension, it wasn't difficult just trial and error until you get it right, now on to other problems, where's that white smoke coming from, dam.

------ Follow up post added March 3rd, 2014 09:14 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Shocks might work. It's always better to throw parts at a problem rather than do a methodical diagnosis.
Isn't this part of the deal? We buy farm trucks from another country and then spend crazy money fixing them up. Then drive them until they break and fix them again. I like this game,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions