Death Wobble Eradication - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
GOOD POST-
However, I'm getting this wobble when I hit a pothole at 30 and above mph. Is this the same case? Should I check these same parts? Please would someone help me with this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

yes more than likely...high probability the same parts. It all starts with a harmonic vibration. Process of elimination.

so even when it stops you may not have cured the whole problem. Because it's harmonic you just need that little tweak to change stuff. Could be a CV, Tire, end joint, pre loads...anything. Even after changing most of my components I still from time to time get a wobble to drive out...when you change the "original" configurations and use of these things you open a can of unknowns.
Old May 28th, 2015, 10:06 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Just to make sure. Tightening up the steering wouldn't be a death wobble cure or even mitigation. It could be a symptom of DW that you have loose steering however.

I've never had it on a rover, but I've had it on many other vehicles. Strutted beetles, Jeeps (cherokees and cj/wranglers) are all famous for it. I even had it on a toyota celica once. A steering stabilizer will usually bandaid the situation, as that is its job. But it will be destroyed fairly quickly by all the hammering. DW hammers every bushing and rod and will make everything worse. Eventually you have a broken ball joint or connecting rod from all the hammering... if you don't just run into a guard rail.

Its always important to have all your bushings/bearings in good shape. It greatly increases longevity, safety and driving enjoyment.

If your steering has deteriorated to the point of harmonic wobble; its time to overhaul it completely. Usually only a couple hundred dollars or less if you do it yourself. Its not magic like all those wrangler owners would make you think. A set of neoprene bushings ALL the way around and sometimes ball joints will cure it. Always.... well unless you have some over sized tires and a poorly instituted lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2015, 11:19 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Remember opinions are free...and my first recommendation is adjust the pre loads before you start replacing stuff.
Old May 29th, 2015, 12:03 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I recently introduced death wobble by simply swapping on a set of wheels and tires which were missing a few weights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 29th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Agreed on checking swivel preload. It is almost always ignored and typically off. With everything else good, it is still important and easy to check.
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:23 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I had this and replaced everything in the steering ... Got better but wasn't eliminated until I replaced the shocks. One front shock had a soft spot on the travel.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:29 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
imho...the most powerful contributor to death wobble is too much caster.
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:40 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
imho...the most powerful contributor to death wobble is too much caster.
How exactly to you Adjust castor angle on a defender?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:45 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
I do t think hes implying a fix. Its a poor design. There's a reason there's only the jeep and the knock off out there anymore. And the knock off just got shi7 canned.
Old May 30th, 2015, 01:05 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
I really find this strange because this happen all of the sudden. I'll have my guys take a look at the steering tomorrow.
Thanks guys.
Old May 30th, 2015, 10:34 AM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
It just takes one loose part and a weak stabilizer. I mean, I think that's the only reason it has one. You only find them in similar setup trucks. My father was putting stabilizer after stabilizer on an old cherokee we had rather than fix it right. We'd put one on just about twice a year. At the time they were about 15 bucks a piece. fixed it right up each time and never seemed to get worse. Bought it used with the shakes and owned that truck for about 15 years. It was a piece.. but that 4.0 doesn't quit.
Old May 30th, 2015, 02:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
well...virtually all mercedes benzes with recirculating ball steering have stabilizers as well even down to the little coupes...
Old May 30th, 2015, 02:27 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Is that so. Been a while since I owned a Benz... I don't remember the steering system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions