Death Knock - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2007, 09:47 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Death Knock

I had been driving my 110 regularly while my RRC was getting a new gearbox and t-case. It has been running very nicely and since I got the RRC done, I parked it for a week.

I got in this morning for my usual saturday drive to town and when I started it I heard a loud metal to metal knock coming from the area of the #8 cylinder. I shut it off, restarted it and the noise did not sound like it was going away so I shut it off again. I am familiar with the slight rod knock you get sometimes after a rover sits uo for a while but this was different and louder. Also it had the cadence of one piston, not multiple ones.

Since it displayed no symptoms at all prior to this event, I am thinking it possibly is a stuck valve? Whatever happened between then and now occurred while the engine was not running.

Thoughts please?

By the way it is the stock 3.9 with 108K on the odo.
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
it is probably a lifter or somesuch. pull the valve cover(s) and see what is happening.

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I am familiar with the slight rod knock you get sometimes after a rover sits uo for a while but this was different and louder. Also it had the cadence of one piston, not multiple ones.

Since it displayed no symptoms at all prior to this event, I am thinking it possibly is a stuck valve? Whatever happened between then and now occurred while the engine was not running.

Thoughts please?

By the way it is the stock 3.9 with 108K on the odo.
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Follow up.

I added some marvel mystery oil to the crankcase and fuel thinking it wouldn't hurt at this point.

After pondering the removal of the plenum and heater hoses that need to be removed just to access the valve cover on the passenger side, I decided to start it and listen to the knock one more time before tearing the motor down.

When it started the knock was very faint and then disappeared all together.

I let the motor run for 10 minutes and it ran as smooth as ever. No noise at all. Go figure.

I guess it was a sticky valve that decided to loosen up. I would imagine a head job would be in order but I dodged the bullet for the moment.

I have a fantastic 3.9 that came out of a 110 in the UK that has about 35k miles on it.

I guess I will start preping it for a transplant that will be coming at some point in the future.

I am thinking about putting an auto gearbox in at the same time.

What is the availability of 97 auto consoles? I imagine they are like hens teeth.
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2007, 08:33 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
run it till it dies!!

make sure your oil pickup tube is tight and not clogged, and run 20w50.. that should keep your oil pressure up for a while.. I had a horrendous tapping for a week or so that would go from bad to worse to not so bad to worser, to bad. I dropped the pan and lo and behold my pickup tube was a bit loose. I thightened it up and good by lifter tap!! my low oil pressure light hasn't come on since either..

~Steve
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:32 AM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

I would guess that it was a lifter that leaked down. It is pretty random where the engine stops, so this may only happen once in a great while when the leaker lifter is under valve spring pressure. Not a big problem. Don't worry about it.
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Thanks, so far my oil pressure has been steady but seems a bit low for my likeing. I am going to check out the oil pick up in the sump for good measure.

I guess its the lifter lotto, take a chance on where the motor stops. It is the first time it has happened and is running fine so chalk one up to experience.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions