dealership is screwing me... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2013, 02:03 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by masfas2000 View Post
the check engine light needs to be off for 200 miles or so before the station will accept it as fixed...so i cant just hook up a tool to reset.
Not sure if that was clear or not: you will need to fix the problem(s), reset the light and drive your truck until all the monitors are "ready".

This apparently seems to take 200 miles? That's seem a lot to me, can't see the shop drive your car for 200 miles before taking the emission testing; takes 10-15 miles on my D1 including highway speed driving to get everything ok. But maybe you're right. I have zero D2 experience myself.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 04:12 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Since when is the purge valve bad? I thought it needs an "EVAPS pump" which would be the DMTL pump. Why don't you post up the repair order so we can see what is actually wrong with the vehicle.
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:15 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Since when is the purge valve bad? I thought it needs an "EVAPS pump" which would be the DMTL pump. Why don't you post up the repair order so we can see what is actually wrong with the vehicle.
He posted this up needing the part - http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...rge_valve.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
He posted this up needing the part - http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...rge_valve.html
He also asked if the front and rear driveshafts are them same, I doubt that's what he's looking for unless he was told he needs a purge valve.

Its likely that he has a P0455 which is caused by the defective DMTL pump. The threads on the gas cap are probably also tight which will prevent the gas cap from being fully tightened down.
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Quote:
well i am not a doosh that would blame the dealer if they fixed my car and then something went wrong...by saying they are screwing me is when i looked online at typical costs for fixing items on a land rover, they were over $4k more just on the labor costs. Then on the parts, assuming that i buy everything required, they are another $1k. So to say that the dealer is screwing me is pretty accurate. The big ticket item on the bill was the headgasket, which it looks like i dont need to get done according to most of you, at $6k...the labor on that is overt $4k.

the check engine light needs to be off for 200 miles or so before the station will accept it as fixed...so i cant just hook up a tool to reset.

Everything i have read it looks like i just need to get the evap fixed for now and the rest can wait. The evap at the dealer is going to cost $400, which isnt bad in my mind, but i am figuring that all they are going to do is put on a gas cap and call it a day.
Well it seems that you are paying for their expertise since you don't know how to repair the truck yourself. If you are looking online for typical pricing after you took it to the dealership seems you are a bit late. Pick it up from the dealer and take it to one of the online experts. If you don't like the prices that one place charges then go somewhere else, but don't say they are screwing because you don't agree with the prices they charge. BTW all genuine LR parts will cost you much more than non genuine. Most non franchise stores will use non genuine parts.
they are only screwing you if they charge you and don't repair it properly.
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure how the title for this thread was derived. You got a diagnosis that you can (and already have said you intend to) take else where. How did they screw you ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:58 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
He also asked if the front and rear driveshafts are them same, I doubt that's what he's looking for unless he was told he needs a purge valve.

Its likely that he has a P0455 which is caused by the defective DMTL pump. The threads on the gas cap are probably also tight which will prevent the gas cap from being fully tightened down.
True.. I was just suggesting an alternative. 75% of the D2s I've made acquaintance with have had to replace the purge valve. I suppose at least I had a basis for the reasoning, 02 sensors were suggested for no reason on the thread haha.
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:17 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
True.. I was just suggesting an alternative. 75% of the D2s I've made acquaintance with have had to replace the purge valve. I suppose at least I had a basis for the reasoning, 02 sensors were suggested for no reason on the thread haha.
I agree with you, they definitely fail frequently. I'm just guessing he has a P0455 which is why they would have recommended the gas cap and DMTL pump. A purge valve will usually set a P0441 or P0442 in my experience.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:06 PM
masfas2000
brian masin
2003 discovery

the work order says i have a faulty evaporator valve and fuel cap
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
the work order says i have a faulty evaporator valve and fuel cap
I have never heard of an "Evaporator valve." I'm sure that's the service writer being an idiot and not knowing what he is talking about. I'm guessing then you need a purge valve, and a gas cap.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:51 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
I agree with you, they definitely fail frequently. I'm just guessing he has a P0455 which is why they would have recommended the gas cap and DMTL pump. A purge valve will usually set a P0441 or P0442 in my experience.
P0441 is what I see as well for the purge valve, I believe they had a service campaign for the gas cap issue as well?
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
P0441 is what I see as well for the purge valve, I believe they had a service campaign for the gas cap issue as well?
The service campaign was probably to prevent technicians from putting on gas caps for a P0455 without any further diagnosis. Under warranty, it would pay about 1.5 hours to diagnose, replace a gas cap, and verify the repair.
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:33 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Did you think of going to the Auto Zone in the area of the inspection and have them reset the check engine light/computer for free and drive straight to get inspected? You would pass if the light is not on and then get the problem fix somewhere reliable and cheap with a new emission sticker. Just Asking
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:36 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
The service campaign was probably to prevent technicians from putting on gas caps for a P0455 without any further diagnosis. Under warranty, it would pay about 1.5 hours to diagnose, replace a gas cap, and verify the repair.
Didn't some need a fuel filler too?
Old October 2nd, 2013, 12:47 AM
masfas2000
brian masin
2003 discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Did you think of going to the Auto Zone in the area of the inspection and have them reset the check engine light/computer for free and drive straight to get inspected? You would pass if the light is not on and then get the problem fix somewhere reliable and cheap with a new emission sticker. Just Asking
tried that already...when i took it back to the station he told me that once it is fixed i need to drive it 200 miles...while that is excessive, va inspection has something in place to prefej you from doing what you suggested
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:21 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Thanks Matt, but I do OK despite my weak mind.
Bill, I know that. You are well versed, and I apologize if you took this as an insult of some sort.
I'm just tired of the " I read on the internet that it needs O2 sensors", when in reality much (most) of the time the O2 sensors (once tested) prove to be fine and are doing their job of telling you that the fuel management system is for what ever reason unable to maintain a mixture that falls within pre-set adaptive parameters, and one or more of the inputs that help define this is missing or out of range......pretty simple really and ripe for some proper diagnostics rather than generalized assumptions.

My "internet research / reality conversion matrix", is almost complete.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Its also worth noting that probably 70% of the time its just oil in the connector rather than the o2 sensor being bad.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:36 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
tried that already...when i took it back to the station he told me that once it is fixed i need to drive it 200 miles...while that is excessive, va inspection has something in place to prefej you from doing what you suggested
Now you no to never take it for emissions when the CEL is on.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
NORTHERN va inspection has something in place to prefej you from doing what you suggested
The rest of VA is pretty lax...

Ask me about inspections in the valley.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Now you no to never take it for emissions when the CEL is on.
Come to think of it, I'm surprised they even hooked it up with the CEL on.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing