Dead low-beam in one headlight - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 29th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

No the actual plug where the bulb goes. Sometimes contact can be lost with the bulb. Plan B since you have power there is replace the plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2015, 08:33 AM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Rocky, there are three wires going into the headlight plug. The high beam positive, ground, low beam positive.
I've bypassed the plug by testing the wire itself and there isn't any power on the low beam positive wire itself.
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:58 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

EDIT.

If you don't have continuity between those two points you have a fault in the wire. I think its basically a straight run of wire from the fuse block to the headlamp.

Time for a headlamp relay upgrade. You only need one working headlamp to trigger the relay for both head lights!
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2015, 12:43 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
I had the same issue and it drove me nuts...intermittent LH dip beam out that finally quit. Turned out to be a cleanly severed wire 4" into the wrapped harness over the wheel well. No damage to the harness and not at a flex point....baffling, but someone here nailed it "..it is British, anything is possible..."

Assuming it is not the obvious/simple (fuse, fuse box terminals, headlight plug), then work your way up the harnesses wiggling it as you go.

Oh, and in the middle of this I came across some fuses I had that were bad w/ high resistance out of the package. Look for the simple stuff, but also the weird.

good luck
..tolerant Wife...
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:15 PM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Thanks to all that commented.
Spoke to the folks at Susquehanna Motorsports and they seem to be able to help build a custom harness.
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:47 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

There are plenty of headlight relay harnesses already on the market. Don't pay for something "custom"' if they are readily available. I'm assuming you are going the relay route as it seems like a wasted effort to recreate the harness that failed you and has a design flaw of running the full headlamp current through a flimsy headlight switch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht