Dead Heater Fan - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Dead Heater Fan

Hi All,

The Defender and I made it up to Utah safe and sound but when I turned on the heater fan yesterday morning, I heard a strange squeeking/whining sound and then fan stopped entirely. Has anybody seen this happen?

I'm freezing my arse off (6 degrees above zero and a 35 minute commute to work in a leaky, worn-out soft top!) and if I can't figure this out on my own tonight, I'm going to have to take it to the local Rover mechanic tomorrow.

Any suggestions?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Is the fuse blown? Is it off in both speeds?

Mine blew because water had entered the motor housing. Had to take it all out and dry it out. It's been fine for over a year. I drilled a few extra drain holes in the housing itself.

It is a bitch to get out - remove the hood as the manual says. Don't have to remove hoses. Just angle entire box up and you can remove the blower motor.
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Is the fuse blown? Is it off in both speeds?

It is a bitch to get out - remove the hood as the manual says. Don't have to remove hoses. Just angle entire box up and you can remove the blower motor.
Thanks for the reply. I gave up on trying to fix it and took it in. Turns out, a resistor was blown. I don't think I would have fixed this one myself. Well, hopefully the various speeds work now. Before, I only had two speeds: full blast and completely off.

Thanks again.

Chris

/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2006, 06:49 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I thought you meant the blower was totally out. As the resistor only controls the slow speed, you should still have high when it fails. By what you say now that's the likely cause.

That whole setup is shit. My cable is so tough to move and stay at the high setting, even after lubricating it. Every winter I have to click it a few times to get it to hold on high. A simple rotary switch will be in order when I can find one.
Old January 25th, 2006, 11:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Oh brother. Back to where I started.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan, heater