de-coating step bumper? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:54 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

de-coating step bumper?

I pulled off my rear step bumper (wha-da hassle) and now want to strip the powder coat off of it and have it either painted or re-coated...anybody done this? what process removes the poweder coat and what do look under in the yellow pages?
thanks
George
Oh...and by the way...that plate under the fuel tank that gets rusty and filled with mud, etc...
that is refered to as a "fuel tank protector plate" is in fact a fuel tank support plate. Don't ask how I found out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2003, 06:07 PM
nykx
nick
1995 black #2456. 1994 yellow #922

hey there - im in process of doing the same thing with my brushgard, sidesteps and rear bumper... my "buddy" tells me that it needs to be "burned" off in a heat treat furnace, the sandblasted... ill let u know how it turns out... if it turns out...
Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:13 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i had mine sandblasted then had it galv. when they galv. they give it an acid bath before hand so there is absoultly no rust inside or out. got it back from beening galv. and then painted with por 15 and then top coated it.my thinking is i the galv deals with any rust (inside!!!!!)and i like the look of the black bumper. thought about having it powder coated over th galv but if the bumper has to do its job some day and get bumped i can just touch it up my self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:17 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

to answer your question sand blasting will take it off. look under metal cleaning
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:51 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

agree on maybe painting...

I think I agree about painting...seems like anything I've ever had that was powder coated rusted pretty badly and paint is always easy to touch up...thanks for the tip on "metal cleaning"
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:24 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
After have this cleaned up has anyone used rhino liner or linex on it instead of paint or powdercoating?
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:28 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

I used line X on my RRC brush guard and rear light covers, looked cool, stops and or prevents rust and it looked cool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper