DBA disks, EBC's & bearings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 5th, 2006, 10:20 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Smile DBA disks, EBC's & bearings

Thanks to the D90 Source, I successfully installed the rear brakes today, disk rotors, bearings, and EBC pads. It was pretty straight forward with the right tools. Adjusting the bearings was easier than I thought, and pretty much played it by feel, with the help of threads on this site. Removing the top 13mm 12 point caliper screw had to be done with an angle elbow on the ratchet, as the susp. spring was in the way. To crank the rotor screws, I dropped the hub unit inside the wheel I pulled for leverage. Saturated the hub with DB fro 10 minutes, then banged on the old rotors with a hammer while holding the hub by hand, seperated the rotors no problems. I did take more time cleaning up the hubs with wire brush and fine sand paper on the matting outer surface to get rid of excess corrosion. Tapping in the races was my main worry, and did it very carefully as it seems easy to damage the inner hub. Bought that DIY bleed the brakes pump, that worked like a charm. So I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now, and hope that I will feel the same tomorrow as I tackle the front brakes..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Old June 6th, 2006, 12:36 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Nice job! You'll like the DBA's that is until they start to scream. I've got OEM pads on my front DBA's and it's turned out to be a really poor combination. I was told that its probably not the pads but something to do with the calipers? I've yet to investigate this, but I thought you might like to know in case yours do the same. From what I've read on this board it appears to be a reoccuring issue. By the way what are EBC pads and why did you elect to use this brand?

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Those are the Kevlar pads, I read that go with the DBAs. Rears don't squeal yet...(fingers crossed.)
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Those are the Kevlar pads, I read that go with the DBAs. Rears don't squeal yet...(fingers crossed.)
Really? Maybe I'll give those a try, that is after I resurface the rotors. They're probably glazed by now. It took them quite some time before they began to squeel. By the way, where did you pick up the pads?

DJ
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Picked them up at DAP. Bought the whole kit for front & rear.

Follow-up Post:

Got it done, all four brake rotors, pads and bearings. The front a little more difficult, but once I got over my bonehead moment, the other front wheel was a breeze. I'm gonna re-bleed the front tomorrow, cause I bled them right before dark,
and couldn't see straight. All in all it was a good learning experience, as I used the tools in my kit (which I upgraded)
and did all four outside without bench or vise . ( wanted to experience it as a field repair.) So now the voodoo I have had about brakes and bearings is gone. The Rover is happy, (as long as little bearings don't fly out of the wheels)
I'm happy, and my kit is definitely happy. Oh yeah... god bless breaker bars, and PB !

PS: no squealing! From what I understand, the DBA folks only recommend Kevlar pads with their rotors. I have seen other sites recommend OEM pads. But I decided to go with the rotor manufacturer's recommendation. Drove around a bit and no squeal whatsoever. The pads don't heat up as quick as LR pads , the braking is more progressive, but definitely stronger.
Old June 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Use a brass punch to drift in the races, and you won't need to worry about damaging the races (brass is too soft).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions