Dashboard 2m radio/gps setup - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2009, 01:09 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Dashboard 2m radio/gps setup

I've been meaning to post this for a while. I decided to install a Kenwood TM-D710A and a Garmin GPSmap 276c in my truck. I spent a lot of time thinking about the setup before I installed it. I decided that the Icom IC706MkIIG is a nice radio and liked it's display

Follow-up Post:

Oops, submitted too soon.

I've been meaning to post this for a while. I decided to install a Kenwood TM-D710A and a Garmin GPSmap 276c in my truck. I spent a lot of time thinking about the setup before I installed it. I decided that the Icom IC706MkIIG is a nice radio and liked it's display. It looks most similar to the Defender's dash instruments and presents a factory-like appearance. Unfortunately, I required APRS for my truck and the Icom only has a single band, which meant that I could do APRS or I could talk, but not both at the same time. So, I decided to go with the Kenwood radio instead. The Garmin GPS was an easy decision: it is known to work well with the Kenwood radio and it's quite rugged.

The next problem to solve was the mount. It was imperative that no holes be drilled into my truck for the installation. None at all. I considered installing a DIN radio box in my cubby but the A/C controls were in the way. In the end, I decided to install the radio on top of the dashboard, covering up the cigar ashtray. Not wanting to drill, I decided on a custom mount, fabricated by Len of American Dirt Roads. Mine is a custom variation of his standard "Dashboard multi-mount platform". The mount that he built me is wider that the normal version and has custom brackets for the radio. I sent him the factory bracket and he used them to pattern the custom radio mount. I requested that the mount be painted satin black, just like the Defender's roll cage. He did a beautiful job, even matching the ever-so-slightly dimpled feel of the stock paint. The radio and GPS both attach to the mount with quick-release and are easily removed for secure stowage within the Tuffy console.

The wiring was the hardest part. I ran fused power from the battery, under the truck, up and through the firewall to the dashboard instrument compartment. From there, I fished it through the lower left-hand corner of the cubby, behind the grey cubby plastic and out the hole where the cigar ashtray once lived. I had to build a custom harness to connect the radio's serial port (it has a built-in TNC) to the GPS. The Garmin cable was absolutely ridiculous and used wiring almost as thin as a human hair. I had to solder this to a three-conductor mini-plug and it wasn't fun at all. The radio's head unit connects to the radio body via a custom-wired piece of CAT5. I bought an extra-long cable and had to remove one of the ends of the cable to fish it back through. I made careful note of the pin-out and re-crimped another RJ45 connector onto the wiring once it was fished through.

The radio unit itself is mounted to the back of the Tuffy console with stainless steel bolts. No problems so far. I'd prefer not have to have the wiring coiled up in the bottom of the Tuffy but it's better than mounting the unit in the under-seat box where moisture could get into it.

I found a high-quality antenna that is of similar height to the Defender's radio antenna. I removed the radio antenna (never listen to AM/FM anyway) and replaced it with the 2m/70cm antenna.

The setup works great.

Pics are attached and here are some links for higher-quality versions:

The mount:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...7606694461778/

The radio mount is positioned 15 degrees towards the driver. This puts it within hands' reach and reduces glare.

The GPS mount is adjustable and set to match the radio.

Since this photo was taken, I've changed the backlighting of the radio to green to match the Defender's dash.

Follow-up Post:

Track the truck...

http://aprs.fi/static/NW5W-2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2757833691_ee519ee7bb.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	17555   Click image for larger version

Name:	2757834137_bfc91d06e9.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	17556  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2758669328_f23d7aa10e.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	17557   Click image for larger version

Name:	2757834889_803eccf4c1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	17558  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Very nice setup.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Chris,

I'm glad I was able to help you with your radio mounting project. The configuration looks pretty good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
That is a very slick setup! One of these days i'll get around to something like that. For now I've just got a dual bander on the inside of my tuffy center box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, dashboard, gps, radio