Defender Source Forum banner

Dash vinyl

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  KGH 
#1 ·
Any suggestions on replacing the vinyl on my 110 dash. Brand, type, etc??? I don't want to do leather Bc it will crack with the sun down here. I looked at aLcantera, but it was $100 / yd. gracias

#3 ·
Just redid mine with vinyl. Works great and very inexpensive. Under $15 /yard from an auto shop. If you have to do it again in five years, not the end of the world.

Before you cut it, be sure to check which direction the vinyl will stretch. Only stretches one way. Easy job.

#4 ·
I wasn't sure if I should go cheap vinyl, or maybe something that can handle the UV / heat from the sun. I also saw online to use a high heat adhesive, not contact cement b/c once the sun starts baking it, it will release...

Do I just peel the vinyl off of the foam? The guy before me put a couple random holes in the pad, so I was just going to get some great stuff foam, fill them in, shave it smooth, then vinyl over everything. Just didn't know how easy the existing vinyl comes off. Thanks

#7 ·
That's exactly what I did. I left my vinyl and cut any frayed edges w razor blade and filled any imperfections with the foam. I sanded the existing vinyl with 80 grit and use the permatex heavy duty headliner and carpet adhesive. Also, I cut a couple of paint stir sticks to form the little recessed area where your defrost vents go and then just clamped them in place.

With the extra thickness, you will want to open up the existing clips a little bit further. They are very strong. And mark their location before you remove them.

Hope this helps

#6 ·
Here I was thinking all you Texan boys put carpet on the dash?lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.