Dash Removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2004, 03:39 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Dash Removal

I'm going to be getting a manual really soon, really!

But in the mean time, does anyone have any pointers to removing the lower dash section on a 110 in order to put in some light switches? I've looked at it a couple times and assume you just remove every screw you can find, including the heater vents underneath, and it will magically come off.

Are there any hidden items I should look for? And is there anything to the right of the steering column that would interfere with putting in the switches?

thanks
pwc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2004, 04:05 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Peter, there are screws behind the plastic covers for the air vents under the windshield so you have to remove them first and get the screws there too. Remove the front plastic edge around the parcel tray and the tray itself.
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:51 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Peter,

Not sure if you got this done or not, but I have an NAS 110 and the dash is apart right now so I could probably get info for you if you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Ryan,
I was hoping to get to it this weekend so if you have any info, I'd appreciate it. Or even just a picture with it removed so I understand what's behind it would be perfect.

thanks for the offer.

pwc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:40 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

It's been a while since I tore into my dash, but I think it's easiest to work top-down. Remove the upper dash first, remove the side panels, remove the driver's instrument panel, remove gray plastic fascia (probably the most difficult part due to attached ductwork that gets caught on things from behind). I've never removed the lower dash, and it doesn't sound like you'll need to if you're just looking at installing some switches. I'vel attach some pics for the area I think you're concerned about. You shouldn't have any problem if this is where you're looking to install the switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash_front_rt.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	362  
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:41 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash_inside.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	363  
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:23 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Thanks Ryan,
I've got the top and sides off but there seem to be a number of screw that your can only get to through the vents to get the gray fascia thingy off. That sound about right?
Once I get that off, I can get to the other part without taking it off to put the switches in.

And where the heck is the dang Service Engine reset box? I was told it would be behind the instrument panel but I only see three boxes and none are it. I had a RRC before and know what the box looks like, but these all have different descriptions on them.

hmmm

pwc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Yup. Sounds like you've got it right. The gray plastic fascia is a pain to remove. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I think I had to remove some of the vents to get at the screws. And you need to be careful not to break them. Just keep looking for hidden screws. Oh, and if you haven't already, you'll need to remove the heater control lever plastic ends so the fascia can slide past.

As far as the Service engine box goes, I remember it being behind the instrument panel. I got rid of mine so it's no longer there.
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:32 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

I still couldn't find the box so I'm just going to swear there isn't one. Thinking back, I should have cut the wire for it but it's not that big of a deal and adds some color to the dash.

There was also the screw holding the gray part to the box the instrument panel is in. That one had me for a bit.

Alas, there wasn't room behind where I wanted to put the switches and settled with putting them on the top of the dash because of their depth, 2 on either side of the ash tray. I'm not overly happy with my work and there are now two poke holes where things slipped and went where they shouldn't. It's not horrid but it's also not the best job in the world either. That's something I will have to put on my tombstone...

thanks again for the pointers Ryan.

pwc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash