Dash lights when braking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2011, 07:27 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Dash lights when braking

Hello guys, I recently replaced my headlight switch on my 97 d90 sw. Everything was fine but now my dash lights have stopped working... Well, except when I touch the brakes. 1 rear brake light is out too, but is likely a different issue. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2011, 08:15 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Best guess is you disconnected something by accident and it's now getting power via the brake pedal ... Go back over your repair and look for disconnected wires.
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Why did you replace the switch? Did it get cooked?

I had a short in my rear electrical harness where it exits the frame at the pass rear wheel well. Caused all kinds of problems when I hit the brakes. Might want to inspect those wires to see if they have frayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2011, 10:40 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

check to see if the brake light that's out has water in the shell.

if yes, that could be the problem for both the dash light going on with brakes and brake light out.......short.
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Thanks, those are good things to look at.

Campbell, the switch slowly just stopped working slowly. Seems like a common problem.

Nikojo. No water in the light, and no previous problems with it as far as I know. I did just replace the tail lights at the same time. So thats another factor...?

The one rear tail light may have some problems in the wires by the wheelwell, but it seems like a strange coincidence that when I opened the dash the brake/dashlight thing started happening. I feel that maybe I pulled the wires up, or something and maybe they got loose in the dash area.

Will dig into it tonight. Thanks for the ideas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, ht, lights