Defender Source Forum banner

dash lights flickering - overheating

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  skeenaskater 
#1 ·
Hi guys, took my 97 Defender 300tdi for some mellow offroading with some mud puddles. Next day I had a bearing (or possibly belt) squeal from the engine compartment. Squeal went away after 5 minutes of driving. Half hour later, highway driving, I noticed temp going to high. Slowed down. Temp back to normal. Also noticed the headlight dash light flickering. Checked if the high beam dash light was doing it as well, and it did. Checked belts. Belt to the alternator seemed a bit frayed and worn in the grooves towards the engine. Tension seemed ok. Pulley to the alternator seemed shinier than the other pulleys as if the belt could have been slipping there. No fluid leaks, levels good, relatively new thermostat, brass plug with good seal. Truck has AC but I am not using it. Brought truck to the shop: they drove the truck for a bit, no indication of temp going up. Tested alternator voltage output: good. Replaced the belts. I have not really tested it yet, but I am pretty sure that the problem will still be there. I thought the alternator was dying and that it caused slipping of the belt and intermittent water pump function, with it kicking in at lower speeds, slipping at higher speeds.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be or what I should check?

Thanks!

#3 ·
A minute in mud puddle is an hour of cleaning. Unfortunately these trucks are not mud and water proof, regardless of what you see online. You prob need to clean out you Rad fins that may be clogged with mud and debris. Be careful not to force the debris further in and ruin your Rad. If you got a squeaky noises you may have fine debris under the belt, which show be removed.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I checked for mud in the rad 1/40. It's clean. Replaced both belts. Took it for a test ride. still same issues. Then I thought the flickering of the lights might be a loose wire.... It was a wire rubbing against the alternator housing. No "overheating" or flickering of the lights on my last test drive :) Sounds like you were dead on caveman. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.