Dash help for my 1985 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2009, 09:04 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Dash help for my 1985

I just took my 110 style A/C ducts out of my truck and am left with a scary looking dash.

A few Questions, how do I cover up all those wires?

Does anyone have a close picture of a dash all cleaned up?

And on the heater itself:

Do I need the vacuum switch to cut off flow to the heater anymore?

Or is that what the bulkhead flap/cutoff is for.

Thanks.
Jim,if you read this, your parts are ready!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Ha ha - great!

You don't need vacuum switches any more at all, just 3 cables (two to the heater box, and one to the lower dash plenum). A tip is to thread the fitting that runs into the lower dash plenum and use a nut so it doesn't pull out as easily.

You should be able to take out a bunch of wires now if you want. If not, they should tuck back into the space behind the new tray. Also, let me know if you need a center dash pod, I've got one somewhere that I can let you have. Its useful for guages and stuff since now you are missing that big mounting face.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Sounds good jim,
I was wonering what to do with the clock, cig lighter and rear windshield wiper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh, well, the clock and cig lighters go nicely in the "oval" space in the center of the lower dash. The pod I have allows you to mount stuff in the middle of the upper dash between the vents. Its intended for mounting a radio, but you'll see them in all 97 Station Wagons used for mounting switches.

Old January 21st, 2009, 12:59 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Oh, well, the clock and cig lighters go nicely in the "oval" space in the center of the lower dash. The pod I have allows you to mount stuff in the middle of the upper dash between the vents. Its intended for mounting a radio, but you'll see them in all 97 Station Wagons used for mounting switches.
Hey... I think that's the pod I need...

willing to sell it to just anyone or do I need to get on a special JimC love list
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
am i #1 on that list?

Attempted hijaking and lunch cutting?
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I was going to give the pod to Tom for free since he's hooking me up with AC parts (sorry, I didn't get a chance to call today Tom).

Its actually a complete factory radio retrofit kit. You can have the whole deal if you want (I think its got DIN brackets, speakers etc).

Old January 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Sounds good.
You did sell your truck right?
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yes, its going to member Bstraw out in CO!

Old January 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
congrats
let me know about the ac stuff, i was hoping that southampton rover was going to go take alook at it, so he could drop the a/c stuff off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1985, dash